Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
Repair 50 amp cord

I have a 2 year old 50 amp cord and the rubber is receding from the outlet that plugs into the camper. The coated wires inside are visible about 1 inch. I've tried to shore it up with a bunch of electricians tape, but it receded as well.
Need suggestions on a better method to repair, or do I need to replace the entire outlet?

Please and thanks.

Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As expensive as they are, I would buy a new one. I don't know that you could push the end back into the head and seal it in a way that it would not be prone to pull out again over time. Or that you can buy a replacement end that would be water proof as a new molded one would be. And while you are at it, get a more flexible one if you often camp in cool/cold weather.

You might convert the old one into an extension cord for the likely rare time you need extra length.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
There is a way if you can get the plugh apart. Most of them have screws holding them together. Remove the screws and take the plug apart until you can see where the wires are attached to the lugs.
Most of the time the lugs have to color of the wire on it by the first letter. If not make a drawing or only take off one at a time. Shorten the wire about an inch, or the amount sticking out plus about a quarter of an inch and remove the insulation abou 1/2". Reattach the wire to the lug. Repeat for all others.
We had to do this twice on our 50 amp on the plug side gong to the box.'

Now if you cannot get the plug apart because it was cast rubber, first go the you favorite camping store and buy a replacement. Make sure you take it apart to see that the wire colors are listed on the plug, or in the instructions. Cut of the old plag and sstrip the insulation back per the instructions supplied with the new Plug. Attach wires as shown in the instructions.

These are a lot cheaper fixes than buying a new cord that will probably do the same thing.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If your cord doesn't have a 90 degree adapter integrated into it, seriously consider the Camco 55572 50 amp 90 degree dog bone. It eliminates the strain that causes the rubber covering to separate from the plug.

Available on Amazon for ~$40 Clicky

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I had the same problem with my cord. Talked to a local RV parts house and was told how to fix it and it worked.

At about the half way down the cord anchor it either in a vice or like I did used a C clamp to the work bench.

Then simply pull on the cord working from the clamp to the end. The outside rubber will slowly cover the wires and then you can use a hose clamp to keep it in place.

Also when you have done the above do what Carl said.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You can try what Wayne said I"v seen that work but if it does not you can get a new end that is water proof and clamps on the outer cover to hold it. And then get the 90 like Carl said to get.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yep BuilderBob that works too.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those OEM 50 amp cords a problem area.They will fail in time.It depends on how much you use the RV. Ours did fail losing one leg of the 50 amps. We replaced it with a 90 degree replacement.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also purchased a 50 amp extension cord again depending on how you use the RV you will need it particularly at fairgrounds, We also have the 30 amp and a 30 amp extension. Yes you will find campgrounds with 30 amp only or one that has only 30 amp sites left. There is nothing worse than to be 2 feet short of cords, water hose or sewer hose. We also carry every power adaptor that exist and yes we have over the years used every one of them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had same problem. the plug was a one piece rubber thing, so I did as others above and cut it off and installed a replacement head ordered online.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Never replaced the head but cut it back a tad. A couple years ago alter a trip we noticed only 1 phase of 120v. Easy fix. I have used the same cord as an extension on the new DP coach with a different head . It is not that difficult to remove the end and Re-Terminate it. If you have no electrical experience then leave it to the pro’s!
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I would do what waynemoore suggest. The factory end actually has a clamp built into it so you shouldn't need a hose clamp. Remove the two screws on the face of the plug and that will allow the yellow cover to slide down the power cord. Get the rubber covering stretched back to where it covers the conductors. If the built in clamp will not tighten enough to hold the covering in place run a few wraps of friction tape around it before tightening the clamp. Pull the cover back up over the plug, tighten the two screws, and follow Carl's advice and get a 90 degree adapter.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Another thought, while you have the cover off the plug check that the four lugs holding each of the four conductors are tight. Don't know the proper torque value but mine are as tight as I could get them using the biggest screw driver I had that would fit the lug.