Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Need Great Minds who think outside the box

We are often parked on gravel or rocks. I rarely wear shoes. I would like to have someway of keeping the outside door (not the screen door) open (and then shut) without having to find my shoes and go outside. Anyone have any ideas?
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Have your better half do it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Try installing the gas strut on your entry door like the newer 3150RL's have. They allow the door to open up to about 3" past straight out.You'll need the gas strut, the two brackets, and about 6 metal screws. If you can, stop by a dealer and take a look at this setup. At first I didn't think I'd like it, but it grew on me. One disadvantage, you'll not be able to latch the door clear around to the fiver side as before.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ahhh, camper4 beat me to it. That's what you keep Ed around for, isn't it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you mounted a latch at the top of the door, near the hinge, could you reach it over the top of the door?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
What about a screen door gas strut that you can slide the washer up to hold it open? Don't know if that will work but also do not know why it wouldn't work.

Sue when are you and Ed going to come to another Rally? We miss seeing you two.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, we're on gravel, too, and I just went outside to unlatch and close that door. As I slipped on my cheap crocs sitting next to the door I thought maybe that would work for you, too. A cheap pair of crocs or thongs next to the door. Just a thought.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
On our vintage" '05 our basement doors are held open with small spring loaded catches, just wondering if one of those would work about halfway across the top. Will check in AM whether it will be long enough and if DW could reach it. That way I won't have to get out of my recliner.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Like Steve, I keep a pair of cheap flip flops near the door. I can't wear them usually but they stack inside each other and don't take up any room. Real easy to slip on and kick off.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I should have expanded on my reason for asking. Ed does usually do this but when his back is out (happening more often lately) I have to do "his" things. I have been having hip problems, this is a family thing. My Mother and all of her brothers and sisters have had hip replacements. Grandmother was in a wheel chair most of her life. I thought I was doing great when I reached 70 without a replacements (older than all of them). Therefore, I try to avoid going up and down steps as much as I can. That is why I wanted to be able to keep the door open without going outside. The problem exists more when it is windy (like now). I thought about the basement door latches but I'm sure they would not hold the heavy door in the wind. I can just barely reach the top of the door on the very part closest to me when it is open so a latch at the top is not going to help. Also sometimes I'm in my jammies when the door needs to be closed so a method to shut it without going outside would be wonderful.
Thank you all again for responding.
Doug, the fuel prices are keeping us grounded for now. And we just haven't been near a rally for a while. We haven't given up entirely.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sue and Ed--- Go to Menards, Home Depot,or Lowes and check out the garden area. They all carry a rubber patio pavers that are about 15" square about 1 1/2" thick and they are can be placed wherever you want. I'm thinking of getting me a few just to keep the dirt, mud, rock of whatever from being tracked into the unit on our shoes. We can put them in the back of the TV or in the basement of the unit and put them down wherever we park the unit! Just a suggestion! Hey, if you're around Nebraska in July, why not stop in and join us at the MOC Central Plains Rally. Yup, this has been a CPRR plug for the Rally!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote