Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Washer and Dryer

My first question here is washer and dryer install, let me give you the details first.

2018, Montana, 3920fb.

The washer and dryer area is in the kitchen. I have a quote from Camping World for 2k to purchase and install the washer and dryer, seems high to me.

I found a washer and dryer that will fit for about 800 after my military discount from Home Depot. I have the dryer vent already. Obviously I have questions LOL

1. The center shelf seems really sturdy I was going to remove to install the stackable. The shelf held my weight easily not even a creek and I weigh about 250. Should I just remove all the shelves ?

2. The sticker on the wall for the dryer vent says its safe to install on that wall so I would assume the studs will not be an issue, the drilling through the wall is not that big of a deal 4inch hole saw.

3. Do I need a pan?

everything is screwed in so it will take some time removing all the screws, doors. Its not that hard is it lol.....

the installation seems pretty straight forward just some minor questions, advice or guidance will be appreciated !! Thank you

Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The wiz bang "service writer" at Burlington, WA CW quoted us a price to install. Once the install began the service people tried to add labor for removing the shelves, installing the vent. All of which I told them was part of installing. You wan the pan. They cracked the front edge of mine off and then tried to silicone it back on. The hold down brackets were not used merely placed a screw on an angle at the corner of the dryer so that the removable front trim piece will not install properly. At the end of the install the "service writer" told me he would be forced to pay for the additional hours since I would not. My point is if you can do it yourself...do it. You will save yourselft some money and you will certainly take more care in getting it right no matter how many times it takes you to get there. If your CW is known to you to have a good reputation the sale price for installation is pretty good. I had pretty good previous experience with that CW and the sale price is what got me to thinking it was a no brainer. The results did not hit the mark for satisfaction.

Don't assume anything when it comes to Keystone. The sticker is supposed to be a good spot to drill. Easy trick is to look at the outside walls on a chilly morning and you can see exactly where the studs are, then drill your pilot and follow up with the hole saw. The shelves are a personal thing. I would keep them and not use the stacking bracket.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Thanks for the reply !! I can do it all myself for no more than 1k. CW wants 2K so that's my major point of contention. They have already had my coach for 3 months fixing things from the factory, some of which needs to go back again !! so my confidence level with them is not so high....

I can put in a pan but there is no drain on the floor to top into unless its under the flooring. Their quote includes the drain pan installation but again no idea if its just a pan or if they will install it to a drain. They are charging about 50.00 for the install so I would assume at that price there is no drain attached to the pan..?

as far as the shelves I think all but the center one needs to be removed. The center shelf is pretty sturdy and I think it could hold a dryer. I would need to drill a hole in the rear to bring up the drain and water lines

The install cost is 59 for each but the washer and dryer cost more then I can get on my own 2k vs 1k.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You can find the W/D online with free shipping for a lot less than what CW retails them for. The pan should be plumbed through the exterior wall as well. This is where CW and I got into it. The install includes installing these items. They basically tried to convey that the installation cost was just to physically put them in the coach after I agreed to have them installed. It is a do very DIY job but for $59 it wasn't worth my time if it had been done correctly.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
How important is the pan... heck my new house doesn't even have one LOL
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
has anyone installed a washer and dryer in a 3920 or 3921? just wondering about the experience.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The pan is designed to direct the water from a failure of the machine to the outside of the rig rather than onto the floor, cabinet, etc.. I would say that falls into the pretty important category.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
sounds like I need to figure out where to drill the hole in the floor......
Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I am not familiar with your floorplan however in ours the W/D are in the front closet and sit on a pedestal if you will that conceals the drain pipe. The pan is plumbed into this void and angled out the side wall.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #10
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Yeah mine is on the floor not raised. I looked and didn’t notice anything that would suggest a drain would be anywhere in that area. I emailed the service manager at CW he did say that they will install a hose to the outside just not sure where they would do that lol.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
HITodd

M.O.C. #13730
Send a message via MSN to HITodd
W/D

My RV dealer did the installation of a Splendid combo unit. It washes and drys. I believe it was $1,450 installed. We put our clothes in when we go to bed, and when we get up we turn it on for a few minutes so wrinkles come out. My wife said she loves it.
HITodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
If I understand you correctly, you're going to install a residential stacked washer and dryer, 120v, rather than an RV combo unit. That's a good choice, IMHO, and yes, you'll have to remove the shelf and figure out a way to affix the unit to a wall. If you want to install a Euro style combo unit, the vented models are better.

I recall that you need to ensure you have a 30a breaker. I don't think you can install a 250v unit, so keep that in mind. I would install a pan, plumbed to drain through the floor thru the coroplast shield.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #13
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Guess I'm going to get flooded out...lol. I didn't install a pan but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
Guess I'm going to get flooded out...lol. I didn't install a pan but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have a drain pan with a drain line to the outside for he same reason I installed a Dometic 320 before first use.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #15
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
We didn’t have a pan in our Big Sky. 3 1/2 years and never had a leak.

Our dryer was mounted on the shelf. That’s what it’s for. If you ever have to take the washer out for repair, no need to remove dryer, too.

Why do you have to cut a hole for the water lines? Aren’t the water connections below the shelf? Ours were.

Our SOB has Whirlpool washer and dryer. I like them better than the Splendide. Washes faster and the dryer has a larger tub.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #16
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have a drain pan with a drain line to the outside for he same reason I installed a Dometic 320 before first use.
Why, did you think the stock toilet would leak?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Why, did you think the stock toilet would leak?
Stock toilet was a thetford as as some call it a thetflood
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
We have the water lines, its the drain line in the floor for the floor pan that I don't have. I have been going back and forth with my local CW and got them down to 1500 installed. The splendid stackable unit with the install of the floor pan everything, im going to pull the trigger
Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #19
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Stock toilet was a thetford as as some call it a thetflood
What does it do, I'm not following.

I had a toilet in my old Windjammer stick open due to something in the valve and had to shut off the water to the trailer, lucky I was there. Then I tore it up trying to fix it and ended up buying a new toilet.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
We have the water lines, its the drain line in the floor for the floor pan that I don't have. I have been going back and forth with my local CW and got them down to 1500 installed. The splendid stackable unit with the install of the floor pan everything, im going to pull the trigger
That’s a fair price. Just make sure the quote spells out in painful detail what it includes. They tried to nickle and done me for shelves, vent installation, etc..