Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Phil:
My 2007.5 has the same type of clamp, and no problems in 120k miles.
I'm at 230K on my 2008 and no trouble. I've had the inlet tube off numerous times.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
I'm at 230K on my 2008 and no trouble. I've had the inlet tube off numerous times.
Hi

We are talking about the tubes that go to and from the intercooler not the inlet tube. That is a different subject and that I have had problems with on all three units.

I have 185,000 miles on our 2009.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #23
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

We are talking about the tubes that go to and from the intercooler not the inlet tube. That is a different subject and that I have had problems with on all three units.

I have 185,000 miles on our 2009.

Phil P
As Am I. The charge air cooler INLET tube.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Yes we have the complete system checked every year clamps , hose, etc
In addition to the yearly checks and replacing all clamps with heavier duty clamps we run by our after market guage monitoring Pre turbo EGT among other things. We keep or EGT temps under 1200 degrees which of course keeps our boost down. Our gauge will alarm at 1200 degrees which usually occurs on steep hills. Yes we slow down and let all the other trucks pass us but we are protecting our turbo. By slowing down I mean we may be doing 45 or 50 on the steep grades while others are doing 65/70 or more to show they can do it. We can do it but what is the hurry and we do not like loud explosions under the hood along with the time down and the expense.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Phil, you are correct about the HD lingo, the reason manufactures do it, $$$$$$$
Come on guys, you all damn well know if the words HEAVY DUTY are attached to it, you are gonna buy that one first. Chevy was thd first to do it, when the introduced the 2500 HD. Was the same as a regular 2500, but all the others followed suit. Pretty sure it boosts sales.
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am going to express an opinion here and I am sure other have similar one about their vehicles.

I am presently volunteering at a nonprofit research facility in Florida. Their vehicles had suffered from poor maintenance for quite some time on top of that the application is extremely sever.

I am maintaining or supervising the maintenance of Ford, GM and 2 Dodge light duty trucks. The Dodge truck are not used by the work crews at all and just happen to be on the place for parking only so I don’t have much to do with them.

However they do have 2 Silverado diesels 2005 and 2007 then there is my 2009 that has insurance on it that doesn’t run out until 203,000 miles that requires ASE mechanics to perform all maintenance.

The ford diesels range from the 6.9 (1985) to the 7.3 Power Stroke (1999).

None of these vehicles have been modified with extra equipment like turbo temp gages or computer chips. They don’t have excessive problems with them either. Most of their problems are the result of the major sever service applications.

However I find the Duramax to be the better power plant coupled with the Alison 6 speed transmission they have much more acceleration than the others. I have had very little problems with my truck and I don’t baby it. Slow timing a diesel is a good way to shorten its life.

Phil P
Old 04-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #27
Richard Noble
Established Member

M.O.C. #19062
I have a Duramax 3500 2007 dually. The small outlet hose has blown off twice. First time I limped into town and the dealer fixed it under a tech. service bull (still cost me $40 for the short hose). Next time I was coming down a mountain in Utah and limped into Price on a Sat. and dealer there charged me $140 to stick it back on. When I got home I got on the internet and found some heavy duty clamps from Europe, a new hose and had a local auto repair place put them on. Have not had a problem since then. Now if I could just fix the "clunk" in the steering.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #28
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
Now if I could just fix the "clunk" in the steering.
If you are talking about the clunk you feel in the steering wheel, usually moving slowly over a slight bump or rise in the pavement, there used to be two fixes: 1. remove the intermediate steering shaft and use a special lube kit to lube the shaft with a heavy grease. It would absorb the play in the shaft for a short time-usually to get you out of warranty. 2. Replace the intermediate steering shaft. Funny how now there is only option 2 available since all of the affected vehicles are out of warranty.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #29
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep Correct on the clunk in the steering, I just unbolted my steering shaft(hold the steering wheel tight with a motorcycle tie down strap to the brake pedal so it will not move) and moved it up and down and few times and that does the trick as well no big thang
Old 05-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
mwalton
Established Member

M.O.C. #19168
I had this happen to me on our 2007 Ford with the 6.0L diesel. We were going up a 4 mile long 6% grade the day we brought our new trailer home. It blew so hard it put a small dent in the hood where the clamp struck. All of a sudden, no power and load!?! Wow is all I can say.

The engine was hot, very hot and all I had was a combination wrench to put crank the clamp back on, about 1/8th of a turn at a time. haha, it was a fun for about a minute. Was glad I had gloves that day.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5993.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	208  
MOC #19168
mwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
My Psd did it.....2 Cummins have not...and you can buy the clamps separately...cummins are steal pipes...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
My Psd did it.....2 Cummins have not...and you can buy the clamps separately...cummins are steal pipes...
With rubber ends just like all turbo Diesel engines.
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #33
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Happend to us last summer with my 2000 F350 7.3 with 180,000 miles, pulling 5th wheel up mt. Shasta So loud I thought the pistons came out of the motor. It wasn't a clamp just blew a hole in the hose, 5:30 p.m. called ford in klamouth falls OR. They didn't have the part, but ford in Bend Or. Did and they had a night shift open till 11:00 I called them and told them I was coming. As long as I kept tubo off it was ok, very slow ride, about 10 I called and told them I was 15 minuites out, They had a set up in the parking lot with lights tools so I didn't have to unhook the 5th wheel. These guys were great went right to work, They even saw that my belt tensioner needed to be replaced, I sent a kid to go buy pizza for them all and one hour later and $400 we were on the road. Great service from FORD.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #34
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We spent 10 days in Chiloquin Oregon (the worlds larges model train track) and the people are very helpful like that.

Phil P
Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #35
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Badmoon is correct. The inside gets oily and then the hose will slip. I think the Ford 6.0 was good for that - Sounds like a gun going off. I found when you get home - take the hoses off and clean / wipe them out REALLY well with alcohol and make sure all oil is gone and reinstall. Boots are cheap but expensive!

No issues with the 6.7 PSD. (so far)
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #36
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I heard of it on my second one. I was going up a steep long hill and bang. It's as loud as shotgun under the hood. You couldn't see the camper for the smoke. My brother and I didn't know what to think. We got it fixed temporarily with radiator hose clamps. We went on to a Bench Rest match in Ohio and made it back home.
Lynwood
X2 going up interstate 5 climbing Mt. Shasta and BOOM, you can still drive, you just can't let the turbo come on. We had to drive another 178 miles to Bend Oregon thats where the ford dealer had a night crew. We called and arrived at 10:30 P.M on a Friday night. It was the longest 178 miles I ever drove. But they had the blue hose for my 7.3. I didn't have to buy the pipe. These guys were so good, they knew I had a 5th wheel behind me, so they had a set up in the parking lot with a tool cart and lights waiting for us.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For everyone that has never had a turbo hose blow, get a set of good after market hoses and carry them with you. You can check them your hoses all you wont to and they can still blow out. Get the clamps to they are what you loose. The after market hoses are much better than the OEMs. Imagine trying to pull your camper with your lawnmower. That is about how much power your truck has without its turbo.
Lynwood
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #38
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Quote:
For everyone that has never had a turbo hose blow, get a set of good after market hoses and carry them with you. You can check them your hoses all you wont to and they can still blow out. Get the clamps to they are what you loose. The after market hoses are much better than the OEMs. Imagine trying to pull your camper with your lawnmower. That is about how much power your truck has without its turbo.
Lynwood
I have to agree. On our first outing this year we had one of the intercooler hoses blow. We only had 24 more miles to go to get home but needed to climb 3000' in those short miles. The spares were at home. I hitched a ride up the mountain and drove back with the hoses. 30 minutes later she pulled the hills again.

My 7.3 without boost is worthless.
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They are all worthless as tits on a bore how without a turbo. I was stranded on Bolder Hill in Montana. Google Bolder Hill Montana web cam and that was exactly where I was.
Lynwood
Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #40
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
With rubber ends just like all turbo Diesel engines.
Cummins never did it...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote