Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #61
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Here is a link for ten speed transmissions that supposedly will be used in the new 2020 Super Duty's. Hopefully I can post the link, moderator? https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/08/202...140-f250-f350/

Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #62
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thank guys. I was wrong and I always like being wrong. I learn something when I’m wrong. Chevy is putting the 10 speed in their great 750 horse Camaro. The 6R140 is a great transmission. It will handle 1200 pound feet of torque. The 10 speed should be as good but I don’t see the point in it. My new F150 has the 10 speed and it doesn’t shift like I thought it would. I would have thought it would go through all the gears, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 but no try 1,3,5,7. As yet I haven’t seen it use either second or fourth gears. It is smooth very nice transmission. I would think Chevy will also use it in their HD trucks. What I would still like to see is a large V8 Ecoboost engine. Say 6.7 with about 800 hp and 1000 torque. After driving a 2.7 EB for 3 years I’d be the first in line to get one. The 2.7 is an awesome little engine. I could have got the 2.7 EB the 3.5 EB or the 5 L and never thought about anything but the 2.7. I drove the 3.5 EB but liked the 2.7 better.
Have you saw Caddy’ new 550 horse 4.2? The standard version will be about 500 hp. When it goes in the mid engine Vette it will be 5.5 L with 850 hp. These are the good old days for performance cars.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #63
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Here is a link for ten speed transmissions that supposedly will be used in the new 2020 Super Duty's. Hopefully I can post the link, moderator? https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/08/202...140-f250-f350/
The end of the 2020 year is when my 2016 F350 gets traded so I'll try it out.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #64
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I see no point in 10 speed transmissions in heavy duty trucks.Guess they are going to gear the rear end down to 5. something. I hear that those 10 speeds constantly hunt for the right gear when you put your foot in it to pass another car. Personally I would like to see it in a 2 speed rear end like big trucks.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #65
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Bone actually the two speed rear ends were common in older 1 1/2- 2 1/2 ton trucks like I used to drive while harvesting when I wasn't on a combine. Most big trucks used to use a main transmission and a Browning transmission which had three or four gears. I don't know for sure what is being used now but I do know that the big rigs use both automatics and manuals but I think the manuals are just a main 13/15 speed road ranger transmission. Somebody on here can correct me if I am wrong. Gear vender and another company used to make a two speed splitter for our somewhat older pickup trucks.

Tom Marty
Old 03-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #66
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I hope somebody that has the tenspeed transmission could give us some insite. What I have heard is they skip gears when empty and utilize them when under heavy load like taking off from a stop or going up hills. I love my old 7.3 but would love at least two more gears so that the rpm does not drop so much between gears.

Tom Marty
Old 03-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #67
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
More info on the ford/GM 10-speed trannys.
https://www.forconstructionpros.com/...peeds-too-many

The goal is fuel efficiency and smoothness (shorter spread between gear ratios). I suspect the benefits pulling a heavy load are less apparent with diesels like the Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins, since the torque curve tends to be relatively flat between 1000 and 3000 RPM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #68
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I hope somebody that has the tenspeed transmission could give us some insite. What I have heard is they skip gears when empty and utilize them when under heavy load like taking off from a stop or going up hills. I love my old 7.3 but would love at least two more gears so that the rpm does not drop so much between gears.

Tom Marty
I have a 10 speed in my 2018 F150 and had a 6 speed in my 2015 F150. The two trucks are nearby identical both are extended cab trucks both have the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. The 2015 was a XLT the new one a Lariat. The new one a little heavier by a couple hundred pounds. The 2015 had 325 HP 375 torque the 2018 325 HP and 400 torque. The 2015 was direct injection the 2018 direct and port injection.
The 2015 averaged 20.3 MPG over 36000 miles. The 2018 18.6 MPG so far but only over 200 miles. So there isn’t much to learn there. It probably will catch up as the truck gets broke in. As far as the transmissions, I see very little different. The 6 speed used all the gears, the 10 speed skips gears. I’ve never seen it use second or forth gear.
I’m a member of a F150 form. Most of the people there are seeing about what I’m seeing, I think. Some prefer the 6 speed and some the 10 speed. That’s like every thing, people like what they have. How many times have we seen that here? What hitch should I get? One like mine!
Overall I like the 10 speed but in a year I’ll know which I like better. I suspect it will be the 10 speed. We will see.
Lynwood
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #69
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well according to the dealership my truck started down the assembly line on 4/19/18. That is if I understood the report that was sent to me. Delievery on 5/26/18, again that is if I read the report correctly. Sounds like the 2018 SuperDuty is going to have a short model year due to Ford sending SUV's down the same assembly line. My dealer had me delete the airbag seat belts for the rear seats to to low inventory and a lot longer wait time. I am still excited to see it get here. Meanwhile I will be towing the Montana with the old 7.3 over the pass to Westport Washington for Halibut fishing in early May and obviously I will use it for Memorial weekend holiday. After those trips I hope to have my new truck ready to tow.

Tom Marty
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #70
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Congrats on the new truck
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #71
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks James, one thing I wish Ford would use like your Dodge is the air suspension.

Tom Marty
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #72
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Actually I didn't get the factory air bags. It is something I plan to add even though I don't need it for leveling. I just want to take as much of the chucking out as possible.

There are several things I would do differently if I had it to do over again. Fortunately there are aftermarket solutions to all of them......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #73
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can go to Fords COTUS web site and keep track of your truck. You will need the VIN your dealer has that. The F150forum.com has a thread on delivery dates you might be interested in.
The blend day is the day your truck will actually be built and will probably be about a week after it goes into production. The delivery day will probably change. It may be before or after the day you now have. They haft to have enough trucks to justify shipping to your part of the country. My F150 got down to 0 days to delivery and no truck showed up. Then it went back up to 20 days to delivery. It had missed the train. 14 days later it was delivered. My dealer called the Ford Factory rep and put a rush on it. Your dealer can do the same.
When you first hook your new truck to your camper your eyes are going to look like pie plates and you are going to say WOW after pulling with your 7.3.
Lynwood
Old 04-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #74
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Lynwood I have tried the COTUS but I don't get anything with my VIN number. I have read on some other Ford Truck sites that COTUS does not track one ton trucks. I can put the VIN number in other search sites and it is recognized as a one ton dually truck.

Status
Primary. Secondary. Vehicle location Status date/time
In Production. Sent to plant. Ford Kentucky plant 2. Apr-19-2018

ETA
Start date. End date. ETA Disposition
May-20-2018. May-26-2018

That is information sent to me so I am guessing as to what it all means.

Oh well I will get it when it actually shows up.

Tom Marty
Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #75
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
New truck delivery anxiety LOL. You get that when you order it than try to track it. They could load it on a train than train gets held up somewhere. It's always better to order a new vehicle that way you get what you want instead of what they can find on a lot somewhere. I have ordered 2 cars in my lifetime and that is my preferred method. There used to be ways customers could track there cars but I think they stopped that. Your dealer can check for you but after it leaves the factory it's anyone's guess as to when it will arrive. Also it depends on when there are enough cars to be delivered to your dealer. Usually they don't just drop one car at a dealer. Be patent it will arrive. Oh Happy Day
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #76
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Tom. I didn’t know COTUS wouldn’t track the one ton trucks. I would sometimes haft to punch the track vehicle button several times to get it to work. Your dealer can still put a ASAP request in to the Ford Factory rep.
You are right your truck will get here when it gets here.
Lynwood
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #77
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well on Wednesday I got an email from the sales manager telling me my new F350 DRW truck was waiting at the dealership for me. He was pretty good at keeping me in the loop from acceptance to going onto the line to getting loaded onto the railroad car to arrival at Spokane and then being shipped down to South Eastern Washinton to my dealer. It is nice when you deal with people who treat you good. Plan on picking it up on Saturday.

I plan on putting some miles on it before I actually tow with it. I have heard people say you need X amount of miles before towing and others who drove home and hooked up to their trailers. What were some of your actual experiences on when to tow?

One other thing if you order a one ton (maybe others) I could never track it on the COTUS site. I was able to play around online and actually get a window sticker which was kind of cool. Main thing was the sales manager keeping me up to date on the progress.

Worst thing now is to actually go pay for it. I will end up selling my old 2000 7.3 F350 SRW (104 k) miles on it after I get enough miles on the odometer on my new one.

Tom Marty
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #78
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Manual says 1000 miles before towing. and you are waiting until Saturday to pick it up?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #79
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Drove ours home from the dealership hooked up the Montana and left.That was 98K miles ago.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #80
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
On our Ram 3500, the supplement diesel manual says the engine requires no break in. More to the point no towing extends the time for break in.

General consideration........Cummins
INITIAL BREAK-IN PERIOD = 1000 miles or less. During this period, the piston rings may not have had a chance to seat yet, which allows cylinder pressure to pass by the rings into the crankcase, causing blow by. After the initial break-in period, the engine will need to be worked to create high enough cylinder temperature to seal the piston rings, which helps prevent blow by.

Vary the engine speed so the entire vehicle, as well as the engine, becomes accustomed to varying speeds, loads, rpm, etc. .

For on-highway, automotive applications, operate the engine at 1500 to 1800 rpm in high gear for the first 50 to 100 miles. However, DO NOT idle the engine for more than five (5) minutes at any one time during the first 100 miles.

For off-highway, non-automotive applications, operate the engine at 75% throttle while loaded during the first three (3) hours. Again, DO NOT idle the engine for more than five (5) minutes at any one time. Also, DO NOT operate the engine at rated speed (rpm) and full load for more than five (5) minutes at any one time.

MID BREAK-IN PERIOD. After the first 1000 miles, the engine is ready to be worked, which will help seat the piston rings to avoid blowby and avoid carbon buildup to avoid fuel slobber because of light load operation. If possible, drive in hilly or mountainous areas OR load the truck with 700 - 800 lbs OR pull an empty trailer (tandem car-hauler type)*.

*NOTE: If you use a small single axle trailer, some load on the trailer is recommended.

Certainly everything with a new truck will 'loosen up' after 40 or 50k miles, including the engine, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. etc. We doubt that the engine torque or power will increase much, however. With light loading, the engine can take as high as 30,000 miles to be considered 'broken in'.

When the bearings, brakes, engine, etc. do 'wear in', the truck may seem to perform better, just because you will have less resistance from all these new components. The amount of fuel consumed by the engine may improve slightly after the break-in period, however, there are many other variables involved with the vehicle chassis that will affect MPG, more than the engine.

More from Cummins....
The mating parts in the engine should achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles with properly loaded operation. After the run-in period, you should achieve optimum power and fuel economy from your Turbo Diesel.

A lot of reading at
http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...iesel%20Engine