Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Satelitte wiring in my '06 Monty??

I just had my first trip with a DIRECT TV satellite dish in my '06 2955RL and it was awesome. Is it possible that the wiring for satellite in my Monty is just for the main cabin, and won't let me set-up a second receiver in the bedroom? I ran a line off of the cable/satelitte line in the main tv and then tried to hook up the line running upstairs to another receiver and couldn't get the bedroom to work. I don't think you can put any kind of a splitter off of the satelitte to run a line thru the bedroom window or run a splitter off of the main cabin line. I have a portable Wineguard satelitte. Any advise out there???

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Jaybird,
In both my '04 and '07 Montys there was a coax that ran from the bedroom to the entertainment center in the living room. On both units I had to install another feed from the entertainment center to the outside in order to use two receivers. I have Dish and they have two satellites that have programing on each one, so I needed two feeds from my LNBs.
You may have to use a meter to identify which coax is from the bedroom.
I hope this at least gets you headed in the right direction. If you have further questions you can PM me with a phone number and I can call you if you like.
Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Is it still possible to use two receivers if my portable satellite only has on LNB. I'm with DIRECT TV
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Yes, I think you need a special splitter called a satellite switch. Then each output will go to separate receivers.

You could also consider a Satellite Receiver/DVR. They can record two different channels at the same time. They have an extra output for a 2nd room.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I had the dealer run a cable from the convenience centre to the front TV so I can run two cables from the satellite dish to the bedroom tv.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have the Dish setup with two cables from the Antenna LNBs to the satelite recevier. From there I have a video control center that allows me to select satelite, cable, antenna or other as input to each TV ( in the bedroom and living area). I used my multimeter to check the wiring and did not have to add another cable to the bedroom. I used the existing cables. For the TV antenna feed, I rerouted the output from the amp in the closet to the video control center located in the living area and then I can send that TV signal to either or both TVs as needed. Everything works very well. The trick is the video controller from Camper World. The DISH receiver uses a RF link to control the satelite receiver from the bedroom and a standard optical link for the living area control of the satelite receiver. Hope that helps. If you need a schematic, let me know & I will clean up mine and send a copy to you.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jaybird,
I don't think you can get two signals from one LNB (something complicated is the culprit from what I researched and did not understand), a cheap alternative is upgrading to a replacement dual lnb head from a satellite dealer. That is what we had to do and it cost around $25.00.
Bingo
This post is provided from personal trials and experience and in no way reflects anything resembling professional experience!!!
On edit, it will work as long as you are not trying to use both receivers at the same time from the single LNB...sorry.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had Direct TV several years ago. I purchased a satellite distribution apparatus at Radio Shack and routed a line to the back bedroom. Only had one LNB. You only have 5 volts on the cable and if you try to switch/split to two televisions you may not get a signal at either without the distribution block. I beleive it had an amplifier in it.

By the way, that 5 volts can mess things up, so hook up the cable first before plugging in the receiver. Reverse the process for disconnecting. That is, remove cables then power plug.

I now have Dish Network with DVR receiver. The King Dome has two feeds coming in. (Only really only need one, but I use them both.) I hook one lead to the Sat-1 input and the other to the Sat-2 input. If only using one, you need the configuration they add to your receiver. It is one line that goes between switches and splitter and comes out two lines - one to Sat-1 and the other to Sat-2. On the Back of the DVR is a distribution out F connector. I piggy-back that into the top receptical of the 2008 3400RL and it feeds the signal to the bedroom TV. On the back of the DVR is an RF antenna that MUST be connected. With this configuration you can look at different channels on the two different TV's at the same time, with remote control capability.

Highly recommend an upgrade to the newer systems, or buy a DVR.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Jaybird,
I don't think you can get two signals from one LNB (something complicated is the culprit from what I researched and did not understand), a cheap alternative is upgrading to a replacement dual lnb head from a satellite dealer. That is what we had to do and it cost around $25.00.
Bingo
This post is provided from personal trials and experience and in no way reflects anything resembling professional experience!!!
On edit, it will work as long as you are not trying to use both receivers at the same time from the single LNB...sorry.
Like Bingo said. The culprit is the voltage supplied by the receiver to switch polarity on the LNB (change in voltage switches polarity). There is a way to use two receivers on the same LNB but they can only get like polarity channels. It ain't worth jackin' with. You can pick up those LNB's on ebay pretty reasonable. I would run another coax to the entertainment center. If you don't want to mount the cable inlet plate on the side of the Monty, merely use a ground block down on the frame.(If you think you'll ever be where you want broadband cable, go ahead and pull two coax runs.) You can use the coax that goes to the bedroom (loop)by removing the bedroom coax end from the booster. Just add another wallplate by the booster.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Jaybird go to your nearest satellite dealer and get a SW-21 switch this goes just after the dish then splits the signal for 2 different receivers. One wire in from the dish and 2 wires out, one for each receiver. Enjoy the dish,we don`t bring ours with us as we hardly go in the 5ver except to sleep and use the washroom. We cook and make coffee outside unless its raining.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Most hardware stores and Wal-Mart carry replacement LNBs. A double LNB exteriorly looks no different than a single, it just has two leads. All the guys are right about not trying to run the signal through a splitter. It won't work. Even on our new Big Sky I had to add two dedicated coax plugs on the entertainment slide because I have a DVR which requires two satellite leads. I also had to add a separate single coax connection for the bedroom tv. I also have HD Directv which has 4 leads going to a 6x8 switch box. This box takes the 4 and splits it into 8 leads. I am only using 3 so the other 5 are capped. Anybody that gets the HD system receives a 6x8 switch. If you do install additional outlets drill from the inside to the outside with a very small bit that way if you have an outside fitting in the way it is a small hole that has to be plugged. If the hole location is acceptable then use a sharp 1/2 inch bit and drill from the outside to the inside. This keeps the hole clean with a minimum of chipping. CW has single outdoor coax jacks for about 5 bucks. Feed your cable through the hole, then attach the connector to the outlet. Use butyl tape on the back of the outlet to make initial waterproof seal. Pre drill the holes for the mounting screws. Then mount the outlet and use RV caulk to finish the job. It takes almost as long to do as it takes to read this message... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mgdg

Jaybird go to your nearest satellite dealer and get a SW-21 switch this goes just after the dish then splits the signal for 2 different receivers. One wire in from the dish and 2 wires out, one for each receiver. Enjoy the dish,we don`t bring ours with us as we hardly go in the 5ver except to sleep and use the washroom. We cook and make coffee outside unless its raining.
I think the SW21 is for two dishes (or LNB's) to one receiver. This was used by Dish before the Dishpro LNB was available.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
A SW21 switch was for Direct TV which controls 2 recievers with a single LNB. They also have a dual LNB but in single form which run about $35.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jaybird

I just had my first trip with a DIRECT TV satellite dish in my '06 2955RL and it was awesome. Is it possible that the wiring for satellite in my Monty is just for the main cabin, and won't let me set-up a second receiver in the bedroom? I ran a line off of the cable/satelitte line in the main tv and then tried to hook up the line running upstairs to another receiver and couldn't get the bedroom to work. I don't think you can put any kind of a splitter off of the satelitte to run a line thru the bedroom window or run a splitter off of the main cabin line. I have a portable Wineguard satelitte. Any advise out there???
This diagram is from Keystone, it may help you. They explained one receiver will feed both tv's but you must watch the same channel. The wireing will not carry a different channel to the bedroom.
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
That's not true. I have DISH Network. I take my DVR 722 with me in the Hanna. I have a King Dome. Plug both leads from the King Dome into Sat 1 and Sat 2 inputs on the 722. In the 3400RL, remove the top jumper on the coax box on the wall in the top cabinet. Hook an RG-6 from the "distribution out," on the back of the 722 to the top RF connector jumper box. Place the 722 in Dual mode. Enjoy different channels on each TV. You must bring the second remote with you. I am assuming that you have two remots. The second remote is RF and it feeds the RF antenna on the back of the 722. Next time out I'll take pictures.

Direct TV may be different, but I would not assume that as a case.

Also make sure that the amplifier in the bedroom closet is off. (no green light. Push the little black button for off/on.)

Am I talking apples and oranges between DISH box and Direct TV box? I just assume that they both have the capability for dual mode.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This is from the Manual for Direct TV Receiver HR-21:
=======================
1) SATELLITE IN 1 (SWM-2) – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to a second LNB on
the satellite dish antenna, giving you the ability to watch and record up to two programs at once. If
your installation includes an SWM (Single Wire Module), connect the SWM output to this input.
SWM is a technology that allows multiple tuners to work with a single satellite input. (SWM support
may require a software upgrade. Ask your DIRECTV Installer for details.)
2) SATELLITE IN 2 – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to the satellite dish antenna.
=======================
The HR-20 also has a feature to allow the same functionality. I do not know what the rest of them may have, or if there are newer models.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mgdg

A SW21 switch was for Direct TV which controls 2 recievers with a single LNB. They also have a dual LNB but in single form which run about $35.
Mind showing me a link to where I can buy a SW21 to hook two receivers to a single LNB? I would love to have one. All the ones I find are for two LNB's to one receiver, specifically for Dish or Bell Expressvue. In fact, I have one of the Dishnet SW21's in the shop at home.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Slickwillie,
I don't think there is such a creation. My understanding is that a single lnb limits the reception to whatever channels are compatible with the lnb setting at that time. When wired into the Monty as a single feed, you are limited to the same channel on both tv's. My solution, as mentioned before was upgrading to a dual lnb head. My new solution is that when Directv installed my new 5-lnb dish, I kept the 3-lnb which will now travel full-time with the rig.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I`m sorry I was wrong, I used the S21 switch with the old Dish receiver not the Direct TV. You can use a offset bracket that uses 2 lnb`s with one dish. One of the lnb points to 110degs and the other points to 119degs. with this bracket. I use FTA now(free to air receiver)
Old 12-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
www.skyhighelectronics.com for the brackets