Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Update:

Thanks for all the responses and advise. We decided to have them check it out at the national rally. Arrived on Sunday and the techs were there Monday morning to look it over. It took them about 15 seconds to decide that a stud weld had failed it needed to go into the service center. We visited the service center and were shown a couple of units (not Montanas) that were in for the same repair. They also have a set up to "train dealers" how to fix the problem; so, apparently this is wide spread and not just our Montana model. They asked to keep ours for two weeks so this really fouled up the rally plans (that is another story); we could not stay for that long after the rally. The repair is normally about a four day job, but a unit with full body paint can take a lot longer.

I won't go into all the details, but repairs were completed and we picked the unit up eight days later. So far it looks good. We are very happy with the support Keystone provides our group.

The repair involves partially removing the front cap, pulling the side panel off, repairing the broken weld(s), and adding some additional support to the framing.

I'm not sure what to tell someone who has this problem and has to go through a dealer. The service center said dealers were being trained and the repair did not seem all that complex, but who knows? I think the big question is how does your dealer treat you and what is the quality of their work. Before I decided to handle it this way, I was in contact with Keystone Customer Relations and had opened a case. They were pro-active and contacted me a few days ago to ask if a dealer had reviewed it yet (my dealer has yet to call me back with an appointment after I initially contacted them). I let them know it was fixed and thanked them for contacting me.

I did not ask, but I don't think the Goshen Keystone Service Center repairs units except for work arranged through customer relations or the national rally program. I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but I don't think you can just call them and arrange for work. I guess my advise would be to work through Customer Relations who will have a dealer inspect it, then push to have the repair completed at the Service Center. You may have to transport it, but I sure feel better about having them do the work.

Hope this helps others that have this problem.

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
Lcwl
Established Member

M.O.C. #22128
Scott’s we just got home from Goshen. On the way to the rally our 2018 3121rl broke a weld in the same spot. The service center worked it in before the rally and did the reminder of the other issue afterwards.

We bounce 1150 miles home and it still looks good. My only worry is on the door side I have a spot that looks like something pointy is pushing against my outside wall just about in the same area as the other side. Sure hope it’s nothing serious

I talked to Darrell about the service center and he said they only do work that the dealers can’t fix except during the rally. The service center really did a great job getting me in and out with all the problems that I had. It’s a way to go to Darrel and the service technician.

Just hope that Keystone has seen this and address it so it don’t keep happening. Good luck on your Montana.
Lcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
Lcwl
Established Member

M.O.C. #22128
This is an electric slide in bedroom
Lcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #24
routemaster
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21090
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I hooked up to the truck today and watched for movement as the weight was transferred from the jacks to the hitch. Sure enough, there is. The first photo is with weight on the jacks, the second is with weight on the hitch.
I had the exact problem with my 2006 Everest it cost 3 grand to have it fixed in 2009 required welding there around the base of bed room slide they took the front cap off and the skin at the hitch as well to get at it.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote