Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #61
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Okie Guy, we are not on opposite sides of the country, but opposite numbers. Here in Oregon, gas is $2.95, Diesel is $3.45 and Milk I was able to buy the other day for $2.99. Wish I could run on Milk.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #62
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
OK....Let's keep the game going! We need more choices. Right now we only have 3 or 4.

>>>> The enviro Nazis, Sierra Club, tree hugging crazies

>>>> The Government

>>>> The greedy blood sucking manipulating oil companies

>>>> India, China, and any other developing country

Did I miss anyone?

Come on I know there are more out there.... In the meantime would all of you who KNOW who is actually to blame please provide more detail on each choice. I need to know who to blame. Oh, yeah.... I wonder what good that will do for me? Well at least I'll know who to blame.

By the way I'll add another choice:

>>>> US, The consumer. We want it and we will pay for it. At least as long as we can. Wonder what we'll do when we can no longer..... NO. I won't even go there.

And the nice thing to remember is that WE are the richest large country in the world. Can you imagine what it must be like for all those other unlucky folks out there.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #63
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I'd love to be paying $3 a gallon for diesel. We've been over $4 for months.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #64
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
To answer Hamrod's question (from my personal prior military assignments): Yes I can imagine what it is like for those other folks -- been there and seen it; people cooking on charcoal stoves, heating with dried animal dung, walking or bicycling. That was in my past career and some years ago.

It was not pretty and made me appreciate what we have here in the 'Good Ole US of A'; but at the same time, in the today and now I also have to wonder how long it will be before we have people make the decision that to buy that gallon of gas / diesel to get to work they have to forego the milk for their child!! A rhetorical question perhaps but there are people who are already having to make choices based on fuel prices; these are choices that they didn't have to make a year ago. I can't solve the problem as an individual - don't have all the knowledge, power, or money to do so. But doesn't stop my wondering and concern about it.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #65
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Just wonder what happens when OPEC decides that it doesn't want more and more of our worthless dollars for oil and starts charging for it in Euros or Pounds or even Canadian dollars?
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #66
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Noted this on my bus run back, we travel through two counties, that gas went up by 8 cents a gallon this afternoon to 307.9 and diesel to 329.9/339.9/ It is going up every day now. Sure glad we have the Civic..33MPG city. Are you ready for this...Some stations in the Cleveland area are hiring security guards because of the increase in drive off's.. This could get ugly.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #67
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe our answer is going to have to be a technological breakthrough. Alternative energy will be the only solution. Oil shale and oils sands (Canada) are only part of the solution. We will have to accelerate this process.

I also believe that radical changes in engines is needed. This technology needs to rev up - instead of energy trying to do all the work. Maybe we could start developing engines that can actually run on oil shale, for example. If technologies could meet half way...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #68
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Dave the sand oil in Canada is in the process of being shipped down to BP in Whiting Indiana. This is to be a major project millions / billions in new construction equipment, jobs etc. IL, MI, Wi and others jumped in just as it is about to take off and lobbied the Feds that there would be discharge allowed into Lake Michigan. Hellooo, where has all discharge went from all of these states, the lake. Now BP is in front of the EPA getting the permits looked at again. EPA had already signed off on them. It's INDIANAs' right to grant permits but these surrounding states thru a hissy fit to the feds. So instead of building new construction and building our economy we are waiting for the Feds to make a move. Oh and so I don't forget IL is trying to court BP into moving the project over to another refinery. Location IL! So much for worry about the enviroment. These gov't morons if they would leave things alone and just work together we have a better enviroment already. The CA fires have put more pollution in the world than the plant would do for many years to come.
Sorry off my box, just ticked as diesel jumped 30 cents yesterday.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #69
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
OK.... the picture is a little clearer. LWCDG has weighed in with enviro nazis and government morons. So we get a split vote. Apparently some of the Great Lakes states are to blame. And the Federal Govt is to blame because they either have done something.... OR they have done nothing. A bit of confusion there. And wow.... the CA fires. Guess I'll have to add another category.

>>>>> CA wildfires.... but I'm not quite clear on how that fits into the grand scheme of things. But I'll bet it all becomes clearer as the smoke settles.

And we have Mobilrvn casting a vote in favor of the money hungry oil companies... or at least an organization that they all belong to.... OPEC. I don't quite understand the thing about Euros vs dollars but hey..... $$$$ is $$$$. I've never understood the whole international currency thing.... All I know is that every time I exchange currency I come out on the short end of things.

Keep 'em coming... But make sure they're real simple so I can understand them.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #70
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Have you noticed that since these mortgage companies are getting deeper in trouble because of poor business and lending practicies and the Feds are lowering fed fund interest rates to aid these people at taxpayer expense, that the price of oil is rising. IMHO its because our dollar is worth so much less and it takes more to purchase a barrel of oil.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #71
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In the pointing the finger of blame we forgot to point it at us..the Rv'er. We drive these fuel guzzling behemoths that suck up zillions of gallons of fuel. Rving is a luxury that we do not have to do and if things continue we may not be able to do. What we seem to miss here is that, unlike many years ago, the car is no longer a luxury but a necessity. There is no longer a Mom and Pop store on every corner,we no longer have effective if any public transportation. The nearest we ever lived to our job was 12 miles..The nearest shopping area (mall) is 5.4 miles away. The nearest "corner store" is a giant eagle 2 miles away. The car is the nesessity we now need the most..with out it we can not get to our jobs to pay for all the other things. That is way the price of energy affects us so much.. Oh and I had mentioned before..there is NO household on our 63 home cul de sac that has only one vehicle..the record is seven in one household.. Things have changed folks..we are energy dependent as we have never been before and there are a lot of fingers to point but do not forget to bend that finger around and point it at yourself.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM   #72
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
You are right Rich, about the finger pointing, to a certain degree. Why is there so much ado about nothing in our congress and the public be darned? Not one of our PROFESSIONAL legislators is taking this fuel gouge on. Gee I wonder why?
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #73
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
"By the way I'll add another choice:

>>>> US, The consumer. We want it and we will pay for it." HamRad

Gee Rich I thought I'd covered that ---- see the quote above. But I didn't specifically indicate the fuel guzzling RVers. I will add that as a sub category. Or do you think between my post and your post that we have "US" covered?

And from the post just below yours I see we have another member weighing in on the LACK of action by our PROFESSIONAL legislators. Guess that would fall under >>>> Govt.

Hey..... do you folks remember the last time fuel prices went up so drastically? Do you remember the outcry from the public and the subsequent voting actions? Don't you find it somewhat strange that that is NOT happening this time around. I wonder why. What is the difference besides political party in charge?

So far the picture has not been cleared up for me. Unfortunately whatever the ultimate explanation it will probably be too late for me. I do not think we can continue to pay the price for RVing.

Dave it looks like we will have to "give up on our dream". I know you say not to do that but it is just getting to be to expensive to fuel the "beast". But you keep "Dreaming" as long as you can.

I suspect that Q and then the Spring National in Tucson will be our last outing.

If that ends up being what happens I sure hope we can sell our rigs. Problem is that too many others will be in the same boat and we'll just be stuck with the thing. We may end up just having to park it and use it as our home. Nothing wrong with that since so many out there are doing just exactly that. We just won't be able to move ours around.

OK.... this is getting too depressing. I'm moving on out of this thing!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #74
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis, I agree with your assessment. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to follow Winston Churchill's directive. There may come a time when one's dream may have to change, though. Nothing wrong with that. Just have to re-set and re-focus.

I just hope and pray we don't lose many MOCers with these economics. Dennis and Rich are voicing concerns of what would be considered the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure that as this is written, that many, many RVers in N. America are seriously considering changing their dreams to something different. We are not collectively a happy lot right now...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #75
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't give up just yet Dennis. The oil market is way overpriced as something has got to give. Rremember when you buy a commodity you actually buy it and it will be delivered to you at a known future date. You are hoping that if you bought Pork bellies at 6.00 that they go up and you can sell them for a profit before the delivery date or you will have a yard full of pork bellies. Someone will start the sell off soon to realize their profit then everyone will follow..stay tuned..
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #76
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The last time we had this price spike about 3-4 yrs ago, there was no protest. Knew then that no one would ever do anything about it. I naturally blame Bush and Cheny, but I blame them for anything bad. Ask yourself whose logos you see on TV touting alternative fuels--the oil companies. They are not going to do anything which will upset the status quo until they have wrung every last dime out of us. Many blame whoever for not building new and need refineries, but the oil companies don't want to build them. When it is no longer profitable and they have convienced the gov't to fund the next new alternative fuels, suddenly there will be a "breakthrough" discovery and they will provide us our fuels at some great price that we will pay gladly.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #77
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
$4 per gallon would probably restrict our travels to a much smaller area until prices came back down.

Most stations in the Kansas City area are 3.099 and up for diesel. The Kansas side is higher yet. I've been buying diesel at the Murphy station at the Blue Springs Walmart for 2.899. Tank before last I noticed a "contains ethanol" sticker by the diesel hose. This is one of those combo pump housings where the diesel pump is on the left and gasoline on the right. I assumed the ethanol sticker was for gasoline. But yesterday when filling up I realized it's right next to the diesel hose, not even close to the gasoline side. So I guess I've been using biodiesel without realizing it. I did notice a slight decrease in performance and mileage and was wondering why. Now I know. I wish they labled this so I'd know if it's E85 or E95 or what. It does have a ULSD sticker, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #78
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
The price of diesel went up 13 cents overnight here in okc. Gas is now at $3.00 a gallon and Diesel $3.10 as of noon.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #79
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Highest station in Monroe, WA a few days ago - Exxon - $3.79 a gallon. On our trip from WA to AZ, we have paid as high as $3.55. $3.45 at Mobile station today in Indio, CA. I have decided not to get upset about it. Life is too short.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #80
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
I figure, just spend a little longer in each spot and go out to eat a little less often and you can still afford to do what we do. Prior to leaving on our winter trip we had our diesel fuel oil tank filled...$3.21p/gal Not being home running heater in the cold of winter saves us about 60 gallons of fuel permonth. I'm just choosing to use fuel for my rig.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote