Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #1
dlowrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #32586
Yet another King Bed Question

My 2022 3231ck specs says that the mattress is a 72" x 80" King. And indeed, the mattress that came with the 5th wheel is that size. However, the foam mattress crunches against the dresser cabinet when the slide is closed. The pressure from the mattress has damaged one of the dresser drawers.

I laser measured from the face of the dresser to the headboard. Our headboard has 2 inches of padding. The laser measured exactly 77 inches, explaining why the 80" mattress is putting so much pressure on the dresser. Keystone's 80" claim would be correct only if the headboard padding was removed and the handles on the dresser were to be removed.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Has anyone switched to a 74" or 75" long mattress?

Thank you for your reply.
-DL

dlowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a RV King Sleep Number mattress.
It also presses against the dresser when the slide is in. It hasn't caused any problems so far. I guess if I was concerned about it I would put a couple of shoe boxes (or pillows) under the end of the mattress to lift it up so it clears the top of the dresser when the slide comes in.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
In our rig, there is a vanity in the bedroom, at an angle, so the RV King mattress, also a 72" X 80", but it has 12" radius corners at the foot end of the mattress so it clears the vanity cabinet, and the rest of the mattress clears the dresser at the window.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Our mattress did the same thing, hard up against the dresser when the slide was in. We slept on that mattress on our first weekend trip for 3 or 4 nights and she said not again. We ordered a Montana Mattress Company mattress the next day. The mattress is the same size but thicker (11”) and softer. It still pushes against the dresser but because it is softer, there is less pressure against the dresser drawers. We can easily lift the mattress (I replaced the original gas springs with 120 pounders) to access the storage underneath even with the slide in and the bedding touching the dresser.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
The padded headboard on our 21 3231CK is high enough for the factory king mattress to fit under it. It's just touches the dresser when the slide is closed. However, when we added a 3 inch topper, it's compressed by the headboard and the upper handles on the dresser such that you can hear the slide wall flex slightly. We now fold the bed cover back so the handles can bury themselves easier into the topper.

I have to check how the headboard is connected to see if raising it a few inches or trimming the foam at bottom edge and refolding the headboard material back is feasible.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 06:08 PM   #6
dlowrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #32586
I think I solved our problem. I ordered a today a "short king", mattress that is 72 x 75. It is a hybrid (springs and foam) so that compression against the dresser or side wall or lifting to go over the dresser every time we brought the slide in wouldn't work.

About the side wall bending. I didn't think of that, but I did worry about the extra load on the electric slide motor as it compressed the mattress. I can hear the motor loading up during the last few inches of closing.
dlowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
John & Marsha
Established Member

M.O.C. #30308
We had the same problem with the mattress hitting a cabinet, The slide sounded like it was working harder the last couple of inches coming in. I removed the mattress and measured between headboard and cabinet, and ended up getting a mattress made at 72" x 78" now it just touches cabinet with no pressure.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:09 AM   #8
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I have a 2017 model 3661 which appears to have the same front bedroom layout as yours. There is a solution to this issue; check to see if you have a vertical clearance between the mattress and the dresser with the mattress lifted. If that provides clearance, there are clamp on locks for the gas struts that I'll link or you could always make a prop rod with a piece of lumber or pipe. I would never trust those struts to hold during travel.

I rebuilt the bed platform on mine and added a standard California King mattress 72" X 84" , I just have to make sure the platform is up before retracting the slide and traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Vepagoo-Suppo...72&sr=8-3&th=1
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:44 AM   #9
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
I have a 2017 model 3661 which appears to have the same front bedroom layout as yours. There is a solution to this issue; check to see if you have a vertical clearance between the mattress and the dresser with the mattress lifted. If that provides clearance, there are clamp on locks for the gas struts that I'll link or you could always make a prop rod with a piece of lumber or pipe. I would never trust those struts to hold during travel.

I rebuilt the bed platform on mine and added a standard California King mattress 72" X 84" , I just have to make sure the platform is up before retracting the slide and traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Vepagoo-Suppo...72&sr=8-3&th=1
GREAT idea Bourbon County. We would like to change our mattress and I've wondered about modifying so that we could use something more common than an RV special size. That would help with the sheet purchases as well!
2012 F350 SWD CREW
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
king, mattress