Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Power Saver Diesel Fuel Additive

Power Saver, one of the diesel fuel additive brands Wal-Mart carries, is back on the shelves again. Just found some today in Hot Springs, AR. They had "pulled" it shortly after the ULSD fuel made it's appearance...some labeling problem. If you use it, you can get it (now or soon) at Wally-World.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I saw it (I thought) last week in a MI Walmart. Can you explain the benefits to me PJ? I'm curious.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I think it might be called Power Service if it is the same one I get here at "The World". Dave, it is a cetane booster and lubricant. I don't run it in every tank but when I remember I do. I buy the bigger jug and fill the smaller one. From what I understand (which isn't much now a days) the cetane # is similar to an octane rating in gas. The lubricant lubricates the fuel system and injectors. I am sure someone with way more knowledge than me will be along soon to enlighten us both.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I have started using a fuel additive due to the uncertainty of the situation of the LSD and ULSD fuels regarding lubrication of the fuel system components. Several postings on this, and other Forums, have shown lack of real knowledge as to the adequacy of whatever additives the producers are putting in the new fuels. Also, my "diesel guy", had advised me that the additives were good, esp for the "older" motors. We have 140K on the diesel in the Dodge, so decided to give it a try. Can't hurt (hopefully) and might help a lot. Also, I intend to do a fuel filter change after the first 12-15K with the new fuels. Just had it changed a few K ago, as routine.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Rick:

Noticed the Pikes Peak picture...took the identical location photo in late May...LOL. When was your's taken??

Re the Wally-World additive, it is Power Service, as you noted...

Best,
Old 07-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
PJ
We were there at the end of May to the first of June. We cheated and rode the Cog Railway to the summit. We had spent 5 days previous in Estes Park at the entrance to the RMNP. That was my first trip to the area. I took over 180 pictures while we were there. I must have looked like a mid-western picture taking DORK! We had a great time and will probably go back again in the next year or two. Where did you guys stay while in that area? We stayed in Denver @ Cherry Creek State Park (I think it is a state park)Nice campground but if you left the park you had to pay a day use fee to get back in once a day, even if camping at their facilities. Oh btw it sure was chilly up there.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Because of the tinkering with the diesel fuel, I've taken to using Lucas' Fuel Treatment. Keeps the injectors lubricated. I had attended a couple seminars conducted by some diesel performance people out of Pittsburgh, PA. I know some people who say you don't need anything like that but I believe that $23 is a cheap price to pay if it works, and it does! I have a plunger pump that fits into the gallon jug and it pumps out 1 oz at a time. The fuel treatment figures out to be 0.32 oz per gallon of fuel. So if I put in 15 gallons, I add 5 oz of fuel treatment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote