Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #141
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Gyro, Bill bought four diamond willow sticks of all sizes. He is stripping and making canes out of them. Virgil is doing the same thing. I will wait and take the best one. Ain't they sweet? We gotta get more diamond willow before we leave here. Once one of the grand kids get one, they all will want one.
Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #142
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Howdy gang,

We didn't think we'd had enough time in Anchorage so we tried to extend our stay but it didn't work at Anchorage RV Pk so we had to more to John's Notel Motel and Rv Park! I promise you, it ain't much to look at and it ain't in the best of neighborhoods BUT it has free wifi at the site and cable with FHU's for $22.50 Good Sam rate.

One down side was when I was backing in, I backed into a post and bent the Montana on the rear corner. Gosh that hurt for a while. I really felt powerless and stupid all at the same time! Just about over it now...that's exactly why we bought a used one so that I could learn on it and not tear up the new one. Guess I'm also going to find out how good Simmons RV is sometime this week...

We had a great time visiting with Kenny and Virginia last night. Hope to get up with them again this week for dinner.

By the way the museum here in Anchorage is pretty good and we also really enjoyed the Native Heritage Center accross the street from Anchorage RV Park. Also on Saturday and Sunday downtown on 4th and C Steets there is a local market that was really great. I recommend that for general local "stuff". Then there is a 12 mile paved, walking/biking trail that goes along the waterfront and you can rent bikes right downtown. Sure hope to do that later this week.

Gonna take the Prince William Sound Tour out of Whittier tomorrow and will report on how it goes.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #143
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
One more thing. Those diamond willow hiking sticks are just the coolest looking things. I had cut several of what I thought were diamond willow while walking in the woods up in Fairbanks but after Bill told me where he bought some unfinished, I went there and bought four for $5 each. I sure hope they turn out as cool as the ones I'm seeing for sale down here in Anchorage for $65.00 each. I've made about 5 from maple that I cut in Maine last year and they turned out OK but these diamond willow are really good looking sticks.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #144
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We went clamming yesterday with a few hundred of my new closest friends. I was alot of fun, but my back is saying "are you crazy." We got our limit of 60, cleaning takes a while, but I have time. Brenda made some fresh clam chowder last night.
We are going again this morning, I am taking advil for the back, but I have to go again. If anyone plans on going clamming it is easy. Just buy your "Clam Gun" in Anchorage at Walmart or Sportman's Warehouse before you get on the Kenai Pen. They want twice as much here. We got ours for 16 bucks, they are $30 and up here. We went out of Ninilchik, very close to Countyboy RV Park, you can go out of Clam Gulch, but they say their are more people.
We will head toward Homer tomorrow, I want to go halibut fishing at least one more time. I want to catch a big one!
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #145
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
RVfirefighter,
You are having too much fun!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #146
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Virgil, be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to get to Whittier. I don't know if you are aware of it but you have to go through a 2 1/2 mile tunnel that only goes one way. They alternate the traffic, so you can have up to an hour or so wait. Costs $12.00 to go through it. (it is the longest tunnel in North America). We opted to take the cruises out of Seward instead and will be heading there today.

I am so jealous of you Dave and Brenda. That fresh clam chowder sounds wonderful. Yesterday was the opening of Net fishing here in Kenai. Only Alaskans can go out and the bay is lined with people. They grab the salmon just at the mouth of Cook Inlet and the Kenai River. Fun to watch all of it from the top of the bluff. We will try to pull over at the Russian River today and watch the combat fishing. We can't go in cuz I didn't bring my gun.

Helen
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #147
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Well, we had another successful day of clamming. We got our 60, got dirty, but we cleaned them, and put them in the freezer. Their is no way I could do this 3 days in a row.
One of the fishing charters that run out of this RV Park,, "The Fishing Fool" has been killing the halibut for the last 2 days. Today they came in with one that weighed 182 lbs. the others weighed 40 to 50 lbs. If anyone wants to go fishing look these guys up. They run out of Countyboy RV Park. This is a very good park to stay at for 25 bucks, full hookups.
We will head for Homer tomorrow, I need to rest, having fun is killing me!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #148
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Bill, talking about the Russian River, we have reservations for the 23rd, at Russian River C.G. We fished there for 3 days on the way here, I saw one big Black Bear, but I saw several people carrying shotguns, pistols, and rifles. I knew this was why they called it combat fishing. We did real well there, I am looking forward to getting back.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #149
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We are at the Williwaw Campground in the Chugach National Forest near Portage. Helen, I think this is the one you mentioned last week. No hookups, but a really nice campground with great glacier views. Had a black bear in a nearby campsite yesterday afternoon--caused quite a ruckus. We were going to take the bike trail over to the glacier lake, but the campground host told us there had been a grizzly bear reported in the area. We decided we'd take the truck. We took the tunnel over to Whittier. Not bad if you time it right. It's a one-way 2 1/2 mile tunnel and they open it into Whittier on the half hour and back on the hour. It's an interesting little town for a short visit. We're heading down to Seward tomorrow.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #150
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We arrived in Seward today so maybe we can finally meet up Bob and Jan. We are at the Stoney Creek RV Park. There are so many caravans here that they have taken over almost the whole park. We have a full hook up tonight but have to move early in the AM to a water and 20 amp only. Then we are going out on a 6 hour catamaran cruise to Kenai Fjord National Park. I am so excited. The beauty here is so so so.......I can't even come up with enough adjectives. You gotta see it yourselves.

Helen
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 AM   #151
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, Seward is truly one of the most beautiful places on your itinerary. Just wait until you get out on the boat. It is sooooooooo beautiful! Safe travels to all of you and enjoy the journey.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 AM   #152
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, we are looking forward to meeting you and Bill. Sounds like things are getting a little bit crowded down there. We haven't made any reservations, but we're going to try to get into the city park in town.
Bob
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #153
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Made the trip out to Whittier yesterday from Anchorage. The experience of driving throught the tunnel was different. 2.5 miles is a looong tunnel and one lane to boot. Whittier is nothing to write home about. We covered it walking in about an hour. Only a few folks live there year round because the weather is so bleak most of the time. 90 of the town's residents live in one condo building.

The glaciers were beautiful. That's a lot of packed snow in one space. They look to be about 300 feet high and to think it had been packed in there for about 75 years. The "calving" is mighty and thunderous and it makes big waves when the falling ice hits the water. Amazes me that when the big chunks fall off, that 90% of it stays under water. Makes it appear as if they melt quickly. Cool stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #154
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
It sure sounds like you folks are having a grand time.

Now all you need to fully round out your visit is to experience a good ol' Alaskan Earthquake!

Highly possible.

Steve

P.S.

Used to be…That tunnel to Whittier meant you had to drive up on a railcar to get through.

We haven’t been through it since they adapted it to driving vehicles through. But it has always been an adventure.

Enjoy!
S.

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #155
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Gyro, thanks for the information on ulus. They look pretty interesting. My other half is flying up to Alaska soon for a week of fishing.

Last time he went up there, he brought me back a present of "Moose Turd" earings. I'll show him the ulu and bowl set so hopefully I don't get anything else made out of moose turds.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #156
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Just arrived in Seward. First impression isn't very good--road construction and dust everywhere. Just checked in at the City RV park. Its a big parking lot, but it's right on the water, spaces are pretty big, and you get water and 30-amp service for $25. We're in Space 58. Guess we'll bike over to the downtown and see what trouble we can get into Helen, you and Bill stop by when you are downtown.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #157
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just got back from the cruise to the Kenai Fjords N.P. It was wonderful but both Bill and I got so seasick (along with about 70% of the passengers. It will take us the rest of the evening to get our stomaches back so I will have to wait to tell you all about it.

Especially the part about my battery going dead when I was taking a picture of a humpback whale about 5 feet from us
Helen
Old 07-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #158
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Margee,

Speaking of Moose Turds…I’m not sure if the mug I bought is still in storage in Fairbanks, or was sold at our yard sales before we went fulltiming. But it was fairly common up there.

It was white, ceramic, and had two brown oval lumps on the inside bottom. On the side, it said, “May your mug always be two-turds full.

They make so much out of the real thing, though. Often accompanied with a little card talking about how they’re “Genuine RECYCLED Products.”

Ever see the little “Mosquito Traps?” Just like the real leg-hold animal traps, but only about half an inch across.

Oh well. It’s a WILDERNESS, after all.

Bob,

Summer is the only time they have to do road construction. It’s a shame, too. All along the Alcan Hwy, you’ll be delayed and put through dusty and sometimes rocky lengths of travel while they try to beat the frost with necessary repairs.

It’s why so many visitors end up with small cracks in their windshields.

Helen,

I’m surprised no one advised you folks about taking Dramamine before any trip out to sea!

Kimmrg always does that before boating. And even before flying.

It’ll pass.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #159
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Scopolamine patches work well and I think they're available without a prescription. It looks like one of those round tiny Band aids and you put it behind your ear for the entire time. You could just ask at your local drug store.

Bob, once you get past the road construction, you'll be awed by Ressurrection Bay. Hopefully, you'll get out on one of the charters or another type of boat ride as it is sooooo beautiful. Glad you got a spot in the City Park. It's often full.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #160
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
You guys are right. This place is in a truly beautiful setting. Once we got cleaned up and had an attitude adjustment, we biked down to the docks and over to the old downtown section. Saw the acquarium and the "0" mile marker for the Iditarod race. We like this campground -- very convenient to everything, and the view is great. Can't believe they allotted this much beautiful waterfront to us lowly RV'ers.
Bob