Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #181
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We arrived in Valdez this afternoon. All I can say is WOW. What a beautiful entrance. I wish the weather was a little better but it is beautiful even thought the clouds. We are at Eagles Rest and have already booked the cruise for tomorrow on the Stan Stevens Prince William Sound. Wish us luck. We are still weaving from our last one but everyone promises us that this one is much smoother.

Virgil, you are doing it the right way. I guess after being gone for almost a year, we are getting kinda anxious to see our kids and grandkids so once we do and see what we want we keep moving. Don't forget to sign up for the Montana rally on your way home. You will love it.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #182
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Helen,

Just heard from a friend in Fairbanks. It explains your unusual weather in Valdez.

It’s 50 degrees and blowing up in Fairbanks.

When the jet stream is the way it is, right now, (not blowing down into the lower 48,) the temperature trends in Alaska are pretty much the opposite of the trends down here. Since it’s stiflingly hot all over the lower 48, and the jet stream is staying over northern Canada, it stands to reason it’s cold up there.

Such crummy weather’s really a bummer, though. Summer’s too short up there to waste with that sort of weather.

It should change, soon.

Take your medications before boarding the cruise. You’re still going to rock a little bit. Maybe when a whale surfaces close to the boat!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #183
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Greetings Guys, we are in Seward. We got here today. We left Soldotna this morning. I have been fishing the Kasilof river and loving catching salmon. We are scheduled to go out on a halibut trip tommorrow. It should be interesting because of the weather. They are expecting some rough water. We plan on staying here a few days and try to go out on a glacier cruise if the weather clears up. We are in the city park on Res. Bay. Beautiful view, right on the water.
We are having a blast, this place is awesome. Everyone should make this trip in an RV at least once.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #184
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
David, I've got to agree with you about the city park in Seward. The views are great, and it is convenient to everything.
Helen, hope the weather clears for you. That is a great cruise, and mostly in pretty sheltered waters close to shore. Have fun.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #185
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
David and Brenda,

Jo and I are also here in Seward. You guys want to have dinner together one night this week?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #186
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
Questions - the city park in Seward

1. Is it by reservations?
2. What kind of hookups does it have?

We leave Anchorage 7/20, will be in the Portage Glacier area 7/20 & 7/21, Sterling 7/22, Kenai 7/23 - 7/26, Ninilchik 7/27 & 7/28 then
7/29 was the first we could get reservations in Homer due to the caravans, will be in Homer till 8/4.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #187
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Kenny & Virginia,
I think the city park does take reservations. We didn't make any, but there were plenty of open spots when we were there last week. They have dry camping for $15 and water and electric (30 amp) for $25. There is a dump station across the street from the campground.
Bob
Old 07-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #188
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Kenny,

I was by there twice today and saw apaces open both times. And for what it's worth to you, there are open spaces here at Stoney Creek also.

VQA
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #189
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hi everyone. WE had a great sailing day in Valdez today (Stan Stephens in the tour book). The only problem was that we did not see any whales. I think they are all in Seward catching fish. It was a beautiful 7 hour cruise though and the Columbia Glacier was way different than any other. Be sure you try it while here.

Valdez is beautiful, but not touristy for sure. The biggest gift shop I have found is at our campground. Not a problem, there are plenty of beautiful places to see and things to do here for at least a week. I sure am not knocking the gifts at the campground cuz they are some of the best I have found anywhere. So, Come on Down. You'll love it.
Helen
Old 07-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #190
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Well I went fishing today, but I am sick! I had a halibut well over 100 lbs. at the surface and it got off. I could not believe it, I wanted to jump in after it. I caught my two after that, but nothing close to that one. Like the old fishing story goes, the big one always get away. It was rocking and rolling out there, 10 ft. seas.

The city park is first come, no reservations. Dry camping is $12, W/E-$25. You have both on and off the water. It is very nice.

Virgil, we will be here at least one more night, probably two. We would be glad to meet you and go out to dinner. We are in site 53. Let us know where and when and we will meet you.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #191
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
David,
It's just not in the cards this time. I broke a tooth and have a dental appointment this afternoon and then we have plans for tomorrow evening already. Hope we can catch up with you guys on up the trail.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #192
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Virgil, sorry to hear about your misfortune. We have decided to stay till Sunday. The weather is changing our plans. We want to go out on a glacier tour, but will wait till maybe saturday.We have reservations at the Russian River on Sunday for a couple of days, try to catch some more salmon. If anything changes let us know.
After the Russian River we will head for Anchorage heading toward Denali.
Keep in touch, or if you want to meet for lunch or happy hour.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #193
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Valdez was at it's best today and we took advantage of it and poked unto every little nook and corner. For scenery, you won't find any better. I sure would have loved to be here before the earthquake. It really did a number on this town.

We talked to some of the natives from here today in our travels and I can't believe how things were earlier. So sad. If it wasn't for the pipeline today, I don't know how they could survive.

Helen

Helen
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #194
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
A "good old boy" starts out his stories with..."y'all ain't gonna believe this" and a redneck starts out his stories with "this ain't no sh**". Well, this ain't no s***!

I went to the only dentist in Seward on Wedneday at 3:30pm after having told David and Brenda that we couldn't have dinner. Well, as I was coming out of the dentist's office there was this couple standing outside talking to Jo. Yep, David and Brenda. They were just out taking a walk, happened by the only dentist office in town and saw the Union County Georgia Tag, put 2 and 2 together and said "excuse me mam, are you Jo Allmond"? Jo was shocked and it went on from there. What a cowinkiedink!

Needless to say, we had a great time visiting and then really enjoyed a "Large Bowl" of fried halibut at a local hole in the wall. Some things are just meant to be.

Seward is fun to visit. We went to the Alaska Sea Life Center yesterday and spent 2 hours....could have spent 4 easily. How very interesting. Been to the Exit Glacier and explored a little downtown. Gonna do more exploring today.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #195
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
You never know who you might meet walking the streets of these small towns. But when you see a tag from Georgia, you know it narrows the numbers of who it might be. It was great to meet Jo and Virgil, but it was the way we ran into each other that made it more memorable. Jo seemed suprised that this strange couple knew her name and Virgil's.
We did enjoy meeting someone that we know off the MOC pages. We hope to meet again for whatever. It will definitely not be the last time.
Have fun in your travels Jo and Virgil. See you on the street.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #196
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We left Valdez this morning and drove to Tok. Bob and Jan, I can see why you called it the "Road From Hell." It was not pleasant at all. The only good thing was that only about 20 miles was bad. That we could handle. The Tok Cut Off is really torn up with a lot of construction going on. I hope it has improved by the time the rest of you come across. The good parts were beautiful.

We are heading for Haines next.

Helen
Old 07-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #197
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the "Road from Hell" I was talking about wasn't the Tok Cutoff, but the road between Tok and Haines Junction. That was about 3 weeks ago, so maybe they've done some work on it since we were there. You and Bill went through Chicken, so this won't seem so bad to you. It was our first taste of bad road--probably wouldn't seem so bad to me either now.
Have fun in Haines. Are you going to take the rig across to Skagway on the ferry? That saves a lot of driving.
Bob
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #198
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Bob, we just finished that road and it was a piece of cake. We did get awfully dirty though. And after Bill washed the Tana at Seward. We are in Haines Junction tonight. I thought the scenery around Klunane Lake was one of the most beautiful we have seen yet.

Helen
Old 07-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #199
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, glad to hear the road is better. I know road maintenance up here is tough, and they are at it all the time. I've given up trying to wash our rig. Have fun in Haines.
Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #200
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We are off again. I could not wait out the weather. I am heading toward Talkeetna. I am looking for fish. I had fun in Seward, it was a kick to meet Virgil and Jo.
Hope everyone is doing well, I am on Hwy. 3.