Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have only purchased two Montanas, one used and one new. Some of the issues with the new one were due to poor workmanship by Keystone (clothes rod completely pulled out of ceiling and staples raising up on roof). Other issues have to do with vendors that Keystone buys from (Norcold frig not working properly, furnace malfunctioning).

With over 9,000 members on this forum, which is a small percent of actual Montana owners, and the number of issues reported here? That leads me to believe that Keystone Montana is probably one of the most reliable, best "bang for the buck" fivers out there.

The only thing I would do different if I was purchasing a new Montana would be I would buy it from a local dealer that I knew would be good at providing service. As full timers we purchased from a large Florida dealer due to a really good price. They may have had a cheaper price but their large service department turned out to be HORRIBLE! Keystone doesn't have any control over dealers, so they are not much help either. So in our case, after a long frustrating year of watching our factory warranty expire and not getting things fixed that should have been, now we are thankful that we have a good extended warranty to finally get some of our issues properly addressed.

IMHO, in summary, an extremely well built product (by average RV standards) by a company that provides very poor customer service and does not readily honor their warranty.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If I thought there was a better quality brand in the price range we would have it. Perhaps we should ban reporting problems. I would like to see what these "minimal " problems are as most seem to have minimal problems and not serious ones. There seems to be a rash of Staples protruding through the roof.I assume that is a Minimal problem. If problem reporting is something we do not want to see on this forum lets say so and have them banned. I have s lot of good things to say but the good things do not affect our use of the Montana. Lets me start. A/C's have never failed and operate perfectly.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:50 AM   #23
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
A lot of problems that seem to come up have to do with the tires or frames, fridge, water heaters etc. and that I see it as a problem that is across the board with all the manufactures but as for the staples, I would consider a large problem that is worth noting. my self I now look for the possibility of the same thing happening on my unit so I am aware. so yes I like to see in the future to note and write in the forum that I had a problem and this is how I fixed it or can someone help me fix it, not just writing to complain that it broke and the Montana has poor workmanship quality.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 AM   #24
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We are on our third Montana. A 2008 3400 was first, and it was a good unit with a few minor problems. Our second was a 2011 3400, better unit, with a couple of minor problems. Our third (and current) one is a 2014 3725, and it is the best one yet. Better insulation, better features, overall a better unit than the previous two. And, after a year of use, zero problems, at least so far. I totally agree that having a good dealer behind you makes all the difference. Curtis trailer is our dealer, and they have been absolutely fantastic to work with. I also agree that ANY manufacturer is going to have some problems. Look at all the recalls on cars and trucks! Yes, there are fivers that you could spend close to $200,000 on, but are they better?
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:30 AM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
First off I am not sure where the OP lives but just wanted to say that their handle is also the name of one of my favorite pubs in Langley, BC.

It is obvious the OP has read some, if not many comments on this forum regarding problems with some members Montana's, that would be the case on any forum on any brand so I think they are aware there are problems with any RV you might purchase today.

This part of the OP suggests artfuldodger does not want to hear about problems...

Quote:
quote: Please, if you have a recent unit and are totally satisfied, tell us about it. All new units, regardless of make and model, are going to have kinks to be worked out, but we don't want to be considering lawyers and lemon laws in 6-12 months' time.
I will respect that request because my unit is a 2012 and not a recent build. However I must say that this forum has provided invaluable information to me and all those who read the posts with respect to problems, how that problem was resolved either by the dealer or factory or simply dealing with the problem themselves. This begs the question, should those who have had problems "not" report their experiences as some in this thread seem to imply.

I don't know what the MOC membership numbers are, what I do know is of that fairly large group there are relatively few who post at all and although they may have been/are members they are certainly not active and do not participate in debate in any way. Regardless of the amount of members the MOC claims, they are still a very small sampling of the overall Montana owners.

My experience with Keystone was far less than satisfactory, I was fed the line "we have never seen that problem before". Each and every time I tried to contact them it was the same. Even when my factory warranty was still in effect I was told to contact the manufacturer of the item. My friends that is not "customer service" that is passing the buck.

Let us not forget "NO" dealer can/will repair an item that should be repaired under warranty without authorization from Keystone, in many cases the problem for them is in getting Keystone to authorize the repair and often not the fault of the dealer at all.

Keystone is as good as and in some ways perhaps better than any other manufacturer producing units in a comparable price range. Personally I would not buy another Montana, number one, after all the things I have fixed myself this one will have to last me till my traveling days are over, number two, my experience with their customer service and after sales support of those who have made them successful is very much lacking. All of my comments are mine, are based on what my experiences have been, and certainly do not reflect or suggest they are in the majority.

I think you have pretty much decided your next RV will be a Montana, I sincerely hope you will be satisfied with the product and the after sales support from both your dealer and Keystone. Happy trails.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #26
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Ours is a 2010 3000RK and will have to replace the kitchen holding tank again because of leaking. One of several problems. Too many to list. The fabric on the furniture is low grade even though we have used the trailer about 4 to 5 months of the year. Compared to the wood others use in their interior, Montana is tops. This trailer will have to do as we won't be buying again. like our Montana otherwise.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #27
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We have a 2014 3850 and we have had minor issues that have all been taken of. We are pleased with the unit.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #28
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
This forum is very important to me even if I dont post alot. I gather information from others that have experienced problems and spend much less time trouble shooting prior to repair. Last week I experienced problem with the slides and leveling system shutting down, looked on the forum and found the 50 amp breaker was the problem which is common to all models. I relaced with 80 amp breaker and problem fixed. Although it does seem that alot of negative information regarding Montanas gets posted it is of benefit. I dont need information that everyones lights are working fine because that is not a common problem that I will have to deal with. I apprciate the information everyone posts and find most of it very helpful.

For those who read the forum as a way to evaluate the quality of the product they may not be getting all of the information about Montanas. The forum is here to help those of us who have purchased the product already and keep us in a position to correctly identify and repair common problems correctly.

Believe it or not I see that the owners of the 5'ers that do participate on the forum show the large number of people who have already evaluated the quality and purchased one. I also see the forum as a benefit for current and future owners in we are all willing to help each other whith any problems that will pop up in any and all brands not just Montana.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #29
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Great unit. Only issues are what the owner created!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #30
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
This was my first fifth wheel, had numerous travel trailers. Very happy with it. Was built in March of 2014. I had them do a couple of personal things at the factory, such as leave out the blinds, don't like Rv Blinds and also had it sent to Mor-Ryde in Indiana after built to have disc brakes and independent suspension added. They were excellent to work with. No problems with mine in six months I have owned it...

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #31
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes, Montana is still quality and we are very happy with our 4th. We also purchased from a really good local dealer and sometimes we have had to pay just a little extra perhaps but good service for us is the key.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #32
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
My experience is the same as Ed's. I had a problem with the A/C. A Mobile service guy fixed it. I had a furnace issue, again a Mobile service guy fixed it. They did not need Keystone, since they do not provide coverage for Atwood or Suburban.

The problem I have is with the complete lack of Customer Service Assistance. I had a Emergency Window latch break during "warranty" The dealership has worked for almost 8 months to get a replacement latch. The wrong part 3 times. When they did receive a short handle part, the end was wrong and they said the part I needed was no longer available from Kinro/Thor/Keystone. I have a '14 trailer.

When we bought the trailer we had Mor/ryde X Factor braces installed. Lippert had welded on spring hangers that were 1/4" too wide for Dexter Springs. When I contacted Keystone, their position was that it was not a issue. Mor/ryde and Dexter both agreed the hangers were not in Dexter specs. You decide.

Thus, my next RV will have NO Lippert, Thor products on it. I will probably be buying a diesel pusher a few years old, provide my own warranty, and be done with the complete lack of Customer Service from Thor.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #33
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
X2 for jlb27537

All manufacturers have some problems some manufactures have a lot of problems however a good manufacture supports the end use when these problems are brought to their attention during the warranty period.

Unfortunately during the period that my warranty was in effect the Keystone Customer Service department was there to limit the losses incurred by the poor workmanship instead of supporting the end user.

As for dealers I produced 4 other trailer VIN number one of which Keystone had to remove from the dealer to their repair facility in Indiana to repair because of the dealer totally incompetent and untrained service personnel. There comment “we don’t cross reference those items”. If Keystone had any concern for their customer this dealer would not still be selling Keystone products and trying to support them with untrained farm tractor field mechanics that don’t even know how to use a VOM.

You get the idea.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #34
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I am one of the members who has a new Big Sky with issues, (all of which can be chalked up to poor workmanship) and have been fighting with Keystone for months, trying to get them fixed. Even with all this, I still love the unit. Thankfully, none of the issues result in the loss of use. I know Keystone has been going thru a lot of changes and I sometimes think this might be part of the problem. It's like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

As far as our problems, I think our unit was wired by somebody who was having a REALLY off day.

We went to the Tampa RV show and looked at A LOT of rigs, and I can say there really wasn't anything I would want instead of what we have. Ideally, I would trade it for an identical unit that didn't have the wiring issues we have.

Prior to this new line Big Sky, we had a 2014 3900FB and had no problems with it other than a couple of loose fittings and a faulty water pump.

I may vent on this forum, but I am still a fan of the Montana line, and believe we couldn't get anything better without spending a whole lot more $.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:56 AM   #35
Capt Jim

M.O.C. #12942
I have been a member of, and following this forum for some time. DW and I fell in love with the 3750FL at the Seattle RV show 3 years ago. We knew that was the one for us and that it would be perfect for long term travel.
Well, as you know, Keystone dropped the 3750 for this year and we weren't as excited about the new floor plans. We have been looking and looking at a variety of 5th. wheels during the past 6 months and I have to say we became less impressed with Montana quality as time went on. Fit and finish issues, poorly matched woodwork, loose components, cheap fixtures. This is not what I expect when I spend
70-80 thousand dollars.
Bottom Line: We opted for SOB from a company reputed to have Designs that are Grand. Fit, finish, obvious quality features, and a company with a growing reputation for excellent customer service.
This is not a slam on the Montana line. It is only a result of our particular perspective. I hope we will still be welcome to browse this forum as we seek the Solitude of the open road,'cause you guys come up with some really great ideas.

Cheers, all.
Capt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #36
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
i want to say that this post or rather topic is what I wanted to see..I have a 2007 3475 that we purchased on ebay. Thought I would be getting someone else's junk but not the case. I have had some problems but have never had to bring it to a dealer yet. Repaired the gray tank after some road trash got run over. Plasti mend works great. Also installed some more support for the tank. Replaced toilet with a taller one. Installed a inverter which is seldom used and 2 12 volt golf cart batteries. We live in it 5 months every winter in the rig and several summer trips as well. We are very happy with the Montana. We have looked at some other brands but I have heard bad reports on them as well. We wont be seriously looking till we sell the stick and brick place.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #37
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Enjoy your "Solitude" on the Road ,my friend has one and I know 4 other people with them and I can tell you they do have great Customer service(Not the Dealer Paul Everett all of them hate the dealer ) but the company they are pretty rigs but I can tell you first hand I'm in my friends Solitude all the time and they are built no better or worse than anybody else ALL of them have been back for repairs Many times(mostly minor) ,my point is ALL brands have their problems and I hope you get a good one
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Jim

I have been a member of, and following this forum for some time. DW and I fell in love with the 3750FL at the Seattle RV show 3 years ago. We knew that was the one for us and that it would be perfect for long term travel.
Well, as you know, Keystone dropped the 3750 for this year and we weren't as excited about the new floor plans. We have been looking and looking at a variety of 5th. wheels during the past 6 months and I have to say we became less impressed with Montana quality as time went on. Fit and finish issues, poorly matched woodwork, loose components, cheap fixtures. This is not what I expect when I spend
70-80 thousand dollars.
Bottom Line: We opted for SOB from a company reputed to have Designs that are Grand. Fit, finish, obvious quality features, and a company with a growing reputation for excellent customer service.
This is not a slam on the Montana line. It is only a result of our particular perspective. I hope we will still be welcome to browse this forum as we seek the Solitude of the open road,'cause you guys come up with some really great ideas.

Cheers, all.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #38
Capt Jim

M.O.C. #12942
Bigsky, I too hope that this unit is up to my expectations.
(Punchline) guess which dealer I bought from.
Capt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #39
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah, I figured ya didYou will like the Solitude with their wide open floorplan,we love our friends and they are very Happy with it,make sure you go to their new Forum there are some nice folks over their AND the Company monitors the site and responds to customers concerns and the word from my buddy is GD is trying to make Paul Everets servicing GD's a priority
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Jim

Bigsky, I too hope that this unit is up to my expectations.
(Punchline) guess which dealer I bought from.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #40
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Many who vent their issues here are looking for solutions. You have to buy what you feel provides you the best value for your hard earned money and fits your projected usage. We've certainly had a ongoing issue that we are looking to get resolved but overall, ours has been a good RV. I believe we bought the RV that was best for us at the time of purchase.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote