Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gjetzen

I have a 2005 3295rk and while I've had few problems, after reading all the complaints about the problems these Montana's have been having over the last 10 years I've come to a few conclusions
1) Even though Keystone says they can be used for full timing or long timing, they really can't.....
Even though I agree with most the other points made, I disagree with your number 1 point. If you get a decent unit off the line, which Joe and Richfaa apparently did not, I think they can last for many years while full timing or long timing. Unlike a stick built, there is constant maintenance to make them last. They are totally different structures and I think they do pretty good for the type of duty full timers put them through. One day they are being pulled down the road which is like a stick built being shaken in a mild earthquake while getting 60-70mph winds.....and the rest of the time they are sitting stationary on six metal posts holding all their own weight changing utilities baking in the sun. I think if you get a good one, work a few bugs out, and keep up on constant maintenance, you will get your monies worth. My brother-in-law has a 2 year old diesel pusher class A that has had almost as many issues as Richfaa, at a cost of 6 times the price of a new Montana.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gjetzen

I have a 2005 3295rk and while I've had few problems, after reading all the complaints about the problems these Montana's have been having over the last 10 years I've come to a few conclusions
1) Even though Keystone says they can be used for full timing or long timing, they really can't.
2) Looking at the current crop Keystone has really cheapened the brand
3) The build quality of "all" the newer units that I looked at is crap
4) Keystone really doesn't care as long as they are selling units.
5) richfaa you are to nice of a guy. Over 50 days in the shop is un-excusable when you are waiting for something stupid like the correct seals. It would seem to me like somebody is dropping the ball or they don't want to work on it because your warranty doesn't pay enough.
6) I highly doubt, in fact I know that when it comes time to replace my current 5er it will not be a Keystone product unless something drastic changes.
No brand is IMO is suitable for full timing. These are recreational vehicles and built to those standards.

My extended warranty pays 100% of the cost of the failed holding tanks. That is not a issue. There are other issues that will be on my Dime and they are all build quality issues. I except nothing from Keystone. The bill is on my Extended warranty co and me.

that we can not get a seal that was OEM on a 2103 unit shows the inefficiency of the parts and order system.

Good luck on purchasing anything better on a comparable SOB brand.

If I thought there was better I would have purchased it instead of another Montana.

IMO I did not get a lemon but a normal Montana with typical problems. My 06 was the same. IMO folks are hesitant to report "problems" and just post "we had a few minor problems" Nobody wants to say they spent big $$$ and have a lot of problems but I say we should and report everyone of them to Keystone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:55 AM   #23
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
What amazes me is that when I mention this site to my dealer's service manager or to Keystone customer service reps they feign ignorance. If they "gave a #%+#" I would think they would want to know the types of recurring problems we are experiencing.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

What amazes me is that when I mention this site to my dealer's service manager or to Keystone customer service reps they feign ignorance. If they "gave a #%+#" I would think they would want to know the types of recurring problems we are experiencing.
The individual customer service rep may not know. Remember these folks take calls on ALL keystone brands at the service center. They can not be expected to know of every issue on every Keystone brand.

Montana Division does know of Montana Issues at least the ones we report to them. If we do not report them they can not know.

The MOC Forum is not widely known not only does every dealer not know about it the majority of Montana Owners do not know about it.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #25
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I Agree with JandC there are ALOT of us folks fulltiming in our Montana's including me for 4 years now with my old Big Sky and my newer one with very few problems you just have to take care of them, Sometimes people get a Lemon and you are in for a world of hurt and some of us have rigs that do it No problem And Rich is right most dealers don't know about the Forum and don't care and I would say %90 of Montana owners I meet on the road don't know about the Forum as well and that is too bad it's a great source of info about our rigs the good the bad and ugly
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just to be Clear. Folks full time in all brands all price ranges all types of Rv's. These are still recreational vehicles, look up the definition. They are not designed for residences and that is what full timing is. The full timing tag is marketing .More insulation better carpeting does not make them full time rigs. We long time and spend more than 250 days a year living in both our Montana's. I have always said they served us well but we have far more problems than low end users. We also try to stay in Moderate climates so excessive heat or cold is not a issue. However our 06 3400 was not warm and toasty in cold weather but windy and chilly as the slides' leaked like sieves. The 13 Big Sky is much, much better.

Now two months in the shop is the limit of my patience. We are on the phone.