Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Proper Propane usage?

My 2014 3402RL was PDI'ed with the propane all setup, both tanks filled and valves opened. All the gas appliances work. I've left it that way and have not turned off the valves.

So I really don't know what is the recommended way to manage the propane system. From what I read here, one tank will be emptied and then the tanks will be switched automatically. So how do you know which one is being used, how much gas is in a tank and which one needs to be removed and refilled?

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
It's easy. If you leave both tanks open, when one runs out the green strip on the regulator will turn red. The regulator will automatically change tanks for you. Then switch to the other tank by flipping the arrow on the switch and then go fill the empty tank.

You just have to keep an eye on the red/green strip on the regulator/switch to know when to fill.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jim, not an expert, so gather the input from this and others as they come along with good input.
Your 2014 Montana has two 30 pound tanks. The one on the "street" side has the regulator and a plastic switch that can be turned to the tank closest to the switch, which is that tank and to the left which is the tank on the curbside. Your Keystone Owner's Manual states how to activate them on page 45-48. Use the one on the street side first. It goes on to state to leave both tanks open. As one depletes it will switch over to the full one. It also explains how to gradually open the valves. That is important. Filling tanks, particularly in colder weather should be done as soon as it depletes. Waiting can place you without any filled tank and no propane. It always seems they run out when it's the coldest...just seems that way. Propane weighs about 4.25 lbs per gallon and allows for about 4-5 gallons of propane with the rest being the tare weight on the tank. Hope that helps. Good luck with your new 3402. Very nice model.

Ken (brenko) said it all in less words above.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
The flip switch/lever on top of the regulator points to the tank in use. As said, when the indicater turns from green to red, flip the switch/lever to the other tank. Should go green. Turn off the empty tank, disconnect, and get it filled. Re-install, hook it up, and open the valve VERY slowly, and you're good to go again!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
So if the system automatically switches to the full tank when the current one runs empty, why do you need to flip the switch manually? Maybe we are talking about two different systems? I would guess once a tank goes empty and switches automatically, you just close the empty tank valve, remove it and go fill it. After it's full, you just hook it up and slowly open the valve. Then it's ready to be automatically switched to when the other tank runs empty. Right?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you don,t flip the switch propane will escape when you disconnect the empty tank
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

If you don,t flip the switch propane will escape when you disconnect the empty tank
I guess I need to study the gas plumbing. So the gas regulator will switch automatically but you still need to make sure the manual valve is not pointed to the tank you remove for refilling?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The last few times my tanks were filled they put between 7 and 7.5 gallons of LP in them
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

Quote:

I guess I need to study the gas plumbing. So the gas regulator will switch automatically but you still need to make sure the manual valve is not pointed to the tank you remove for refilling?
Yes, after you switch it manually, the indicator will go from red to green. The switch has a pointer on it so you can see which tank you're now drawing from. The manual switch simply gives you a visual indicator.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

Quote:

Yes, it is a closed system. If you don't manually switch to the full tank, you will open the system and propane will leak from the full tank. By turning the valve to point at the full tank you are effectively closing the system and bypassing the empty tank so you can remove the empty tank and refill it.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Thanks, all. I better understand it now. I went out to take a close look. Since both of my tanks are full right now, I have 2 green arrows on the indicator and the manual switch is pointer to the tank that is in that compartment on the driver side of the RV. So I run the Propane until the DS tank is empty and indicates red and the system switches automatically to the other tank. I manually move the switch to point to the passenger side tank when I want to disconnected the DS tank to go refill it.

So the last questions is when I return the full tank to the system, open its valve will it's arrow go green? I would hope that's how it works. I want it to stay on the passenger side tank until it's empty and auto switch back to the DS tank.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yes, it will be green, however I would continue using the 2nd tank until it runs dry and turns red. The indicator measures pressure so when the tank is empty there is no pressure, then it turns red, indicating empty.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Both arrows are either red or green. When the arrows go red, change the pointer, arrows will go green. Remove tank and refill and reinstall, with valve open. Arrows will stay green until the tank the pointer is turned toward goes empty. Arrows go red, repeat.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Very well explained by jib27537. I have never turned my valve from one tank to another and have often removed one tank with the other still connected. If the valve did not switch off the empty tank, then the full and empty tanks would tend to balance out with flow going from the full to the empty. That does not happen so it must close the valve.

My 40# tanks both have small gauges on them, I use that as an indicator that one is getting low. Although Jim found them to not be very accurate, they give me a close enough read to know when one is approaching empty.

Experiment yourself and choose your poison.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I am used to some of you people saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, but on this subject, I do know what I'm talking about. In addition to being a switch over valve, it is designed to keep propane from escaping when there is no tank hooked up to the side the lever is not pointed to. By Not turning the valve to the full tank, you are trusting a little rubber o ring to not fail. I pity you and the people around you for several blocks if that gasket/O-ring fails and a spark lights you up.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Alwims,

The page you photoed is basically what my Keystone (2014 version) says, but your instructions are a little clearer and make sense.

Thanks to all for your perspective.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am not in any way suggesting you don't know what you are talking about alwims and the information you provided from the Dutchman RV reference re the Marshall valve certainly describes how to have the valve be an indicator of when a tank becomes empty and how it automatically switches over to the other tank, as well as changing the newly filled tank to become the reserve tank.

However there is absolutely no suggestion in either the Marshall information or the Fairview information that remotely suggests that you "cannot" close the valve on the empty tank and remove it for filling while the other tank is in service and the valve remains pointed to the empty tank side.

I have a Fairview auto switching valve rather than the Marshall but they are basically the same. I have had my tank/tanks filled many times at the RV park and when filling only one of the tanks have never been told or asked to turn the regulator or turn off the other tank.

I would think that if this was an absolute NO NO then that would be clearly indicated in the instructions on how to use them.

It is always best to be safe rather than sorry so either closing both tanks or rotating the valve might well be the "best" procedure to use when refilling only one tank. I feel safe in doing it as I have done since having an Auto switching valve but that is a choice I make, anyone uncomfortable with that will do it their own way.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Irlpguy, I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, but I do have what I'm saying documented in black & white somewhere, but I can seem to find it at the moment.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Irlpguy, I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, but I do have what I'm saying documented in black & white somewhere, but I can seem to find it at the moment.
I do not think you were trying to be a smart a$$ at all. It is always best to err on the side of safety. Doing as you suggest provides that safety and may very well be the way it "must" be done, I was only saying if it is dangerous to do it otherwise, then that should be made plain in the documentation.

I do know that when I have removed the one empty tank there was no propane escaping from the one that the valve had switched over to and was still operational.

Let's just agree to "always" switch the valve over just to be sure. Pay no attention to what others do or have done. I am absolutely fine with that.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #20
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
slowly opening the standby tank does not work for me-have been left in the cold before.I am still looking for a fix.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote