Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Mirror Mirror on the Wall be it for some not all?

I’m just throwing these thoughts out to those of you who have the smaller RV’s who mostly just read our posts for the knowledge/opinions and leave it at that. I imagine there are (and know of) several of you out there that really don’t own a Montana, but have joined under innovative creativity so you could read the posts while applying some of the responses to your particular unit. You need to realize that many who regularly post here are full-timers or long timers with the longer rigs. They have a lot tied up in their units, use them as their sole place of residence, and need to be more cautious as to the limits of their equipment. They evaluate things differently than those who use their RV’s only on the major holidays and think a long trip is 100 miles to a lake.
That being said, I fear we on the MOC with recent lively discussions on tires, load ratings, pull vehicle capacities, and so on may have scared the crap out of many newbies and want to be RV owners over these issues to the point of losing interest in sampling the RV experience. I don’t deny there are responsibilities in owning and operating an RV, but you need to evaluate what degree you use your unit or the unit you’re thinking of buying. If you just travel to a favorite lake or destination 4-5 times a year and only use a half of tank of fuel to get there I personally don’t think it is an issue if your truck is just a bit overmatched by your RV … or if you want to pull a small boat or ATV behind your unit. It really isn’t an issue if you are 80%, 90%, of 100% of your axle capacity, it really isn’t an issue if you have ST or LT tires on your unit (as long as they’re not Marathons) … it doesn’t really matter if your spare isn’t exactly the same as your other 4 on the ground … it doesn’t matter if you pull with a full fresh water tank or an empty water tank. As you can witness by our posts, thrashing these issues around can create great anxiety that perhaps in your case settles out to be irrelevant. There are many bells and whistles on some of our RV’s … level-up, disc brakes, on board generators, roof full of solar panels, independent suspensions, air ride suspensions, air hitches, remote pendants to operate about anything, and so on. These come in handy, but in many cases are not mandatory options if you fall into the light RV use category.
I’ll wrap this up in saying owning an RV or participating in RVing is a very rewarding activity … we’ve all experienced this otherwise I doubt if we would be on this website. Don’t let recent thrashings of certain issues dissected down to the last atom scare you away from a great experience.
I just realized this sounds a lot like an old Mutual of Omaha intro to one of their old specials, but I believe it needed to be said.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Dieselguy, it was worth saying and you said it well. Basically everything we do in life is a risk, and although there are legalistic views presented abundantly (web lawyers?), some things still have to and should remain as personal choices. As a personal example, I have never weighed our rigs, never weighed our truck, do not get involved in weight related threads (unless I go brain dead), and use the forum as a resource so that I can solicit opinions to make my personal decisions to better my enjoyment of our Montana. I do have what I feel is a sufficient truck for my purposes, and really do not care if others think otherwise. I provide opinions to others in the belief that some of my experiences can be beneficial to their decision making process. For instance: I don't like tires "made in China", I do like camping in luxury, I don't stay in motels, and I love the outdoors whether it be camping, boating, fishing, etc. We do it because it is fun and we enjoy doing it, hopefully newer members will get that part of it and not shy away from their potential dream and adventure based on the opinions of others. I had to respond to your post before the flaming and bashing begins simply because I agree! Thanks again.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Great thread, my sentiments exactly. Doubt if you get any negative responses. Well done Haysville resident.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Well said dieselguy. I believe you are right it need to be said.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Outstanding post Dieselguy. Well said.Bingo, your comments cemented Dieselguys and I really appreciate both. Thanks, Jim
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Well thought out and it was a post that needed to be posted. Sometimes we do get crazy with our ways, but it's all as info. One thing I can say about the Montana forum, its one of the most friendly forums there is if not the most friendly.

Thanks Dieselguy!
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have great folks here on the Forum, thanks for thinking of everyone who reads the posts here guys.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Thanks Dieselguy, Great post... and yes it needed saying.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Great post! This forum really does appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles and rigs and everyone needs to evaluate their situation and make decisions on those evaluations.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Loved it. Thanks deiselguy and Bingo. This is a great post and I hope those who are thinking of venturing into the RV lifestyle read and heed this post.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Well said gentleman!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
dieselguy I am one of those guys that has a smaller Montana.I purchased mine in Nov.2002 and my first trip was to Idaho for thanksgiving.I only tow a couple of times a year.This year we are leaving on 16 Oct.for Idaho again.The shortest route is through Yosemite.
I run Michelin LTX 235-85-16 E on the Montana,it is a 2955RL with a pin weight of 2220 lbs.as per 2003 brochure.The trailer is a little under matched for my 2006 GMC 3500 4X4 DRW.I would rather drive my truck than my wife`s car.
The only problem I have had with the Montana was 2 of the wheels cracked.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Great posts. In our case we bought a used 2002 3295rk for $17,500 in 2007. I like it when We do not owe any one a dime... Well except taxes and power,Direct tv,garbage and a few others I am sure. So every new poster out there come on and join the party as I can assure you Ozz,DQDick and Bingo and the other regular posters will not make you feel like you are not part of the Montana experience...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dieselguy I also agree with you.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
A good post!
While the MOC has provided me with lots of "food for thought" and numerous ways to spend my money, I have never been intimidated by any of the posts. Quite the opposite... I have gained a lot of knowlege and have made friends (and even met some!). I'm richer for the experience.
Can't wait to meet more members when we retire next year.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope that those on the fence are too scared by the more experienced and should stay off the road. When you read numbers that 90% of accidents occur in familiar or shorter trips, then maybe if you are too scared to be safe, then you should stay home even for short trailer trips. We should ALL be cognizant of what's right or makes the most sense. It will always be argued to be more right than to be more wrong and weight compliance or safety of equipment is always on my mind. I can appreciate dieselguy's concerns but I learned too much and spent even more than NOT do what's better for me, my family and especially everyone out else out there and I'm gonna guess others appreciate that too.

As a former quality engineer in a past life, I was given a questionnaire long ago that started with two questions that were, "So how many babies should a nurse be allowed to drop each year while on their job?" The second question was, "How many things should be allowed to be wrong when you buy something new?". It's these quality philosophies that keep me mindful even when I make my rare and sometimes short trips. If I keep safe then, I'll keep as safe as I can at all times. Learn what you need to know and respect what you learn and the world will continue to be a better place.

Compared to when I was a youngster I think our nation is getting too soft and tolerant, so I'll keep learning and teaching others about the cautions of the RV lifestyle, especially if they ask and I might be able to add something useful. Everyone else can just stick to a tent (believe me, I have seen some pretty scary tenter situations, too).

I do think dieselguy is one heck of a trailer compliance dude more than not and his posts haven't scared me from RVing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #17
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Excellent post. well written, very timely, educational, and a darn good read. What's the Matter with my Marathons? ...Just Joking!!!
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Well said both Dieselguy and Bingo!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good post and thoughts. There is a lot of good information here from many knowledgeable folks with many years of varying Rv experience. There is always something to learn. I remember when I was training to be a school bus driver after I retired and we were told that on a national basis over 60% of all accidents involving school buses occurred while backing up. I never thought about that and I avoided backing up whenever possible. We still in the rig do not back unless there is no other choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I read a story once about an old man who only made right turns because he wax afraid if he made left turns at intersections someone would hit him
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote