Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Virginia safety inspection issues

I wasn't aware of the requirement until we got our Monty last year in April that VA requires any trailer with electric brakes to have yearly safety inspections. These cost $16 and you get a nice colorful sticker on your pin box. Problem I've found out is that you can't just go to almost any service station to get one (like for autos and trucks) as the inspector has to pull two wheels, check breaks and bearings as well as all the lights, etc. That means they've got to have a bay big enough for the trailer, and THAT means either a dealer or a big truck service place. Since I really don't trust the closest RV dealer and the second doesn't do safety inspections, I'm looking for someplace to do this in the Northern Virginia area. Any suggestions?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Ask them to repack the bearings while they have it apart?

Sorry, I don't live in Virginia so I can't help, but why would the facility have to have a bay large enough for the trailer? I do that work in my driveway.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Walt I am wondering why it is necessary to put the unit in a bay to pull a couple of wheels and check the brakes and bearings. Does the $16.00 include the inspection required or is that just for the sticker.
Are there certified inspection places set up for this purpose or can any shop do the inspection.

Just another thing to part us from our dollars...

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Just another way for Big Brother to get his hand in your pocket! Bummer.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live in Va. There is an easy way to take care of the problem. Don't have your camper inspected. My brother and I have had campers for 20 years and have never had one inspected. You don't need to have it inspected if you are out of Va and if you do get caught it ain't no hanging offience.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Texas also requires yearly inspections. I also was not aware of the requirement. And only certain inspection stations are qualified to do them.
I don't know what they do but I don't think they pull wheels here. Have never had one done. And from looking at all the trailers in the storage facility very few others do as I could not find a single one with an inspection sticker on it. Our trailer had an inspection sticker on the street side window when I bought it new, but it must have fallen off when it expired.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
For those not from VA, it's a long standing state requirement that very few people like, but it is what it is. Inspectors don't do maintenance, they just inspect. Has to be in a bay I suppose because of insurance requirements. I KNOW everything works since I just greased the bearings, shackles, checked the brakes and all lights last month. Thinking along the lines of mlh and just taking off the existing one and waiting for someone to stop me. (Had a 27' TT for over five years and it was never inspected, nor was I ever stopped.) Figured I'd see if anyone knew of somewhere around here other than that local RV dealer.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
I agree with MLH. I too, live in VA. After the first year when the dealer performed the inspection, I pulled the inspection sticker off the Monty so as not to advertise, and we have been stickerless ever since. When I am out of state, it is not an issue. When in-state, I'm not advertising an expired inspection sticker. I do my own inspections continuously. Having Big Brother help me out for $16 a year is useless.

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Wow!, South Dakota just keeps looking better and better, NO smog inspections, and NO vehicle inspections. I guess they never heard of BIG BROTHER
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Change over to disc brakes, no longer electric.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Lived previously in Stafford VA for 16 years, and had the inspections done at a local truck repair facility. Whether or not you get checked/fined is a factor of what county you live in. It is the county deputies/local police who do the enforcing. Some check routinely, some never check. I kept my inspection sticker current because in the event of an accident, I wanted to be legally straight.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Quote:
quote:And from looking at all the trailers in the storage facility very few others do as I could not find a single one with an inspection sticker on it. Our trailer had an inspection sticker on the street side window when I bought it new, but it must have fallen off when it expired.
Yeah, guess the glue they use must not be very sticky, mine blew off too...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #13
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I live in Va. and have the trailer inspected yearly but have never had them pull it in a bay. Sometimes they pull the truck in the door as that is what is required but not the trailer. You can also have them inspect the truck and trailer together for the same price, but you are asking for them to inspect two for the price of one. I think they look twice as hard for something then.
I take mine to a shop that does welding and builds trailers as well as repairs on them. Va. law (I was told) requires them to inspect if they are licensed and if they won't do it call the State Police and tell them as they are licensed to do it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ohio has no mandatory vehicle inspection of any kind. Shame on the State for inspecting a vehicle for safe operation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Well, I bit the bullet and took it to the crappy dealer nearby. The inspector was my age (70) and nice enough, but after pulling one wheel, he took a hammer to the dust cover cap on one wheel to check the seals. Kind of lost my faith, but he only dented it some. Lots of grease (got Nev-R-Lubes), but the rest went well. Interestingly, neither he nor another mechanic knew that these hubs weren't the kind that needed traditional repacking. Didn't even seem to recognize how they were supposed to be greased! This dealer sells some fairly high end lines as well. I think next year I'm just going to let the sticker fall off.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
What happened to living on the edge between an Article 15 or Bronze Star?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
New Hampshire also requires inspection on 2500lbs or over with electric brakes. I'm due again for inspection.

I normally take it to my local service station. But they charge RV rate of $75 like it's a motor home. A car or truck is $35/yr.
There are no ball joints to check.

Normally they take a floor jack and check only a wheel. Check lights and turn signals and that is it.

The local RV dealer is approx the same price. But they claim 79 point inspection. Right? Lets add up all the light bulbs say 22. 4 tires, 4 springs and 2 axles 8 bearings, 8 brake shoes, 4 magnet brake actuators, 4 drums, and 32 lug nuts not counting spring shackles and bolts. So they are close on the number of points on their inspection.

However in comparison to a motor home or car there are a lot of other items that are not required to be tested so I still bock at the price everytime.

My wife is adamant about getting this done. I can see her point expecially in this world we live in now.

Basically if the law enforcement and insurance companies checked paperwork after an accident and the inspection was not completed.

There would be neglegence and more liability upon my shoulders. If there were injuries you can be sure, the other parties lawyers would be looking, with a fine tooth comb, to find fault.

Its just like a having towing insurance. You hope you never need it ,but, you are glad to have it when the unfortunate comes along.

I don't want to see that day in court.

So it is a small price to pay and for her comfort level alone it is worth it to get it done.

If they would find anything wrong then I would take the opportunity to fix it myself and go for the reinspection for an additional $15.

They cut the corners off normal car sticker and staple it to your registration rather than affix it to your camper/trailer.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
I noticed done of the previous messages never answered your question. I store my Big Sky in Holly Acres boat and Rv storage lot on Minnieville Rd., they will inspect your Monty, probably need an appointment. If i can be of further assistance feel free to contact me.
Blk_Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Hi Walt

You can try :

Renie's RV right off I-66 in Manassas VA.

or

Taylor Boyz on Rouges Rd. in Midland VA.

I have had repair work done by Taylor Boz on one of my previous trailers and they did a good job.

The other question I can answer is about the State Police checking for expired stickers. If you happen to break down, a blown tire, as I did with my last trailer, I had a Trooper stop and the first thing he checked was the inspection sticker and tags. Weird he ask if I needed a tow truck, I did not . He could have at least thrown out a couple of flares but he just got back in his and drove off. I guess he had HOV scofflaws that required immediate attention.

My friend Ted may be right just tear the sticker off and pay the fine and get it inspected only if you get stopped.

By the way welcome to NOVA

Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote