Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
dperetti

M.O.C. #13986
Defective slide on High Country

Took delivery of our new High Country in September and used it 6 days before the dinette slide quit. As the purchasing dealer is 275 miles away took it to Uneek Rv in Kelso Washington (50 miles) who were happy to work on it under warranty. They found some sticky substance left under the slide which had placed additional load on motor as well as alignment issues. Took Keystone 4 weeks to get a new motor to Uneek. Also appeared as if someone at the factory had tried a "fix" as the jam trim had obviously been removed and replaced in a "cocked" position. This was not readily visible during PDI so can't really blame the selling dealer. Keystone also only reimbursing for 2 hours of the 4 hour repair so I get to pay the balance. This would have been a real trip killer had we been on an extended trip. Not real thrilled so far. Thinking I should have kept my 10 year old DP.

dperetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Why wouldn't keystone pay for the 4 hours? That doesn't sound very fair.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
dperetti

M.O.C. #13986
Sounds like they pay for repairs based on a flat rate and if the repair goes over the hourly allowance you pay for it. I am glad that Uneek RV took the extra time to ensure it is properly aligned and operating correctly. Would have been nice if it had left the factory without defects but that's asking a lot in this industry.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Call Keystone customer service direct and talk to them. Generally they are better than that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That's not what I would call a warranty?????? I thought the first year was a bumper to bumper warranty which to me means if it broke they fix it back to the way it should be when it left the factory no matter how long it takes and no charge. Other wise their warranties are worthless, you would be better off buying an extended warranty and paying the deductible. Yeah I know you got to buy the extended one lol lol but this kind of stuff really jerks my chain. If you can't get a rig repaired under warranty why would anyone ever buy another one?????? It's not like they are trouble free,,,,,,,
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
WHAT?! Paid for only 2 hours of what took 4 hours... then you should be able to add back on 2 weeks of warranty since it took them 4 weeks to deliver the part and it should have taken less than that. The dealer should have taken the part from a unit in the lot, then put the new one in the unit they took it from to get you on your way. I hate having to use warranties. We think they are so good, but make sure the hardships goes to the customers all the time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

SOP for Keystone

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Call Keystone customer service direct and talk to them. Generally they are better than that.
They used to be.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
An auto repair shop that I use when I'm in Ohio has a computer program that they've signed onto that gives them the billable hours that they are permitted to charge for each and every repair. If they do the repair in less time than allowable, they get to pocket the difference. If the repair takes longer, then they eat the difference. The repair company uses this system as an productivity incentive for their employees, by paying their employees based on the computer model rather than actual hours. I would ask if this same type of system applies to the RV industry. If so, I would contest being charged for the four additional hours.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
In my college days, I worked as a mechanic for the local Chevrolet dealer under such a system. Forced us to into a hurry-up mode where mistakes would occur. More work-orders I did each day, more I got paid. Not necessarily always good for the customer.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #11
dperetti

M.O.C. #13986
I don't fault the repair facility as they are only getting a portion of their normal shop rate for warranty repair. My problem is the crude repair which was done at the Keystone factory. I think it's just an industry wide problem which is perpetuated by low paid employees who have no ownership in the end product.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #12
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Now I'm really confused. While visiting the factory last year during the fall rally, we were told only Amish craftsman worked on and assembled our trailers. How can that be?
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Amish demands have gotten higher. I blame Vanilla Ice and his TV show for the increased popularity and higher pay demands. I fear they are gonna get so bad, they'll ship their jobs to the Amish people in Mexico or Asia. They better be careful or they'll price themselves out of jobs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I got in the auto dealer repair business in '70. The pay was based on "flat rate" If the book said the water pump repair paid 1.0 hours. That is what you got paid. If it took you .7 hours you did good. If it took you 1.3 hours you were short.

My shop averaged 100% or better. I had some really good tech's and some that were learning. That is the industry standard for paying tech's.

Warranty has been paid at the same labor rate as retail customer pay since early 80's. The difference is in the time allowance. Warranty is sometimes/usually less than retail, but that is just part of working in a dealership. Don't like it, go work at Firestone or Midas.

There is no way I would have paid for the extra 2 hours. The dealership took the job in as warranty. If they do not like what Keystone is paying, quit doing Keystone warranty.

Not knowing the exact details of the repair, perhaps the dealership needs a person that can either manage the repairs better or do a better job explaining to Keystone why they are due 4 hours....

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I agree with Jim. If the repair shop said the work was being covered under warranty, then it is covered under warranty....end of story. If the shop thought they should be getting more money than that would be between them and Keystone.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
I recently had warranty work done at non buying dealer. They told me they lose money when performing warranty work due to Keystone not paying the normal rate.
ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We had the black barrier material stick to the carpet in the bedroom slides. It had been hot when I picked up trailer in Texas. While on the way to Tahoe a few weeks later, the material had cooled ( very sticky stuff) then bound together with carpet. When we opened the rear slides, they stuck at the bottom. In seconds it pulled carpet off walls and pushed the "slide mechanism" through the outside walls, bending the metal skirting and severly damaging the closet and bedroom slides. It's was forth of July weekend. Keystone sent a repair truck 120 miles to assist us in retracting the slides. The cost to repair, exceeded 10k. It was repaired inless than three weeks. The material they use as "vapor barrier" can melt in Texas and Reddings 115 degree heat. It then can make a mess. Only indication we had a problem was dark skids marks on carpet. No one at our dealer or Keystone had seen it before. Resently I heard of similar issues with other brand. Seems the material is used on nearly all RVs. Btw. I paid nothing for repairs etc.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Does not sound right .Sounds like it is a dealer problem. The warranty work has to be approved by Keystone so the dealer had to know what was going on. The warrant we had done under warranty on both our Montana's was paid for and there were no dealer request for more money. I agree call Keystone customer service there is more to the story than the dealer is telling.

That there was a incorrect installation at the factory is no surprise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #19
dperetti

M.O.C. #13986
We picked the unit up on Saturday. The repairing dealer had called Keystone and outlined the repairs needed which included replacing the motor, removing the sticky substance causing the drag, and re-adjusting the slide for a total of 4 hours labor. Keystone only agreed to reimburse for 2 hours labor which apparently is the normal amount to replace a slide motor. The dealer agreed to absorb one additional hour and I paid the other. We were not going to leave our unit sitting out in the rain and snow for another 4 weeks while trying to recover an hours worth of labor from Keystone. Just disappointed that it left the factory in this condition. Hopefully things will go well from this point on.

As a side note in talking to Keystone, they said to use toilet ring wax to lube the cables on the slides which I thought is a pretty novel.