Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Exteneded warranties

I know this isn't a new subject, but has anyone dealt with "First Extended Service Corp."? I found our extended warranty and tried calling, but heard disconnected messages. Did a search and found they may have closed back in 2009? Ugh, It would figure, that when I bought it in 2008, they would go out of business. Could have used that towards the purchase price instead. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you bought the warranty through the dealer that sold you the trailer they 'may' have some liability. Other than that, you are SOL. I'm not a proponent of extended warranties, and this is one reason why. There have been a bunch of car warranty companies that have gone belly up, and the sad thing is, the owners can turn right around and start another company (through legal maneuvers).

Forgot to add, if you file long form, I beleive you can claim the loss on your taxes.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This subject is new to me so I did a search on them and found nothing good. You don't deal with them it seems. They are on many consumer sites for complaints, so many claim it was a bogus company since many tried to make claims and never got reimbursed or even contacted. I found nothing positive, so it seems you are right on about what you should have done instead with your money.

The only suggestion is the obvious. If you want another warranty, first find a real company that exists, then pay them. When I bought my rig I got the factory warranty and when it ran out, I just fix my own stuff and have been lucky enough to solve my problems much easier than from a warranty but there has been nothing major. While under warranty, early on, I had fridge replaced and when one of the recliners fell apart (the factory did not put it together with all the necessary hardware) the dealer replaced both of them from another rig on the lot (so they matched) and I don't know if they ever got them repaired or replaced. Other minor stuff I fixed myself (electical switches and a few mods to improve what was there).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have Good Sam.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd check with the dealer or whomever sold it to you and if you don't get satisfaction you could always file a small claims court action against the sales organization and see if anything came of it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Had that happen to me on a car plan I had purchased. I eventually received a notice that there was a lawsuit in the works, but never saw a penny of it. That was in 2004. First and last extended warranty/service plan I will ever buy. I'd recommend to keep scouring the Internet to see if a suit ever pops up. Maybe you might get some pennies s\back on your dollars. Good luck!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is a recommendation for next time. I've mentioned this before, but I fail to see the need (other than lining your "stealers" pockets)to purchase an extended warranty during the first year of ownership. Your unit is already under a one year warranty from the manufacturer ... why is there a need to double up? The smoke and mirrors sales push to get you to sign an extended warranty with the one and only offer of that super low unbeatable price your "stealer" can offer you only at that moment of purchase is simply B.S. Others will attest that you can find comparable offers out there for extended warranties without going thru the dealership when you're nearing the end of the first year of ownership. When I bought my last Montana, the finance manager just about had a come apart when I declined the super dooper priced extended warranty. His actions came within a whisper of his sales manager witnessing me walking out the front door never looking back.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with Dieselguy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I guess in our case, we must be the fortunate ones. In another post, I mentioned that we have U.S. Warranty Corporation's ESP. Got it with our first 5'er through the dealer. Normally we don't do ESP's, but since it was our first 5'er I had no idea what to expect. So, we got it. I'm not sorry we did. And with our new 3725, there is so much expensive "sophistication" in the units now days, anything is going to be expensive. I will have to say that U.S.W.C. has been good to us, and they've been around for almost 40 years. As it has been said, it's up to the individual person as to what they feel is right. Do the research and then decide.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Terry ... just to clarify, I didn't say EW's aren't a wise decision ... I just can't see the logic in laying down a considerable amount of dough right when you buy the unit when it's already covered under a one year warranty. I guaran-damn-tee you'll find a comparable EW deal say 11 months down the road without lining your dealers pockets further.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Wheelhouse, sorry you had such a bad experience. I had Route 66 on my last Monty, only used once and they were very helpful. Because I am a CW employee, I have Good Sam this time. Yes, you might wait until the end of the first year and still buy it for a similar price. I purchased the Rt 66 when the Monty was new. On my first trip, the landing gear failed. Because there was no dealer near, I called Rt 66. They recommended a local mobile repairman. As it turned out, he was a Lippert warranty Ser facility. Lippert payed him to replace both jacks, and Rt 66 payed the $80.00 Ser call and all was well. Never used it again. When I purchased the new one , I was refunded about 50% of the original price. Piece of mind, to me, is priceless. IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Terry ... just to clarify, I didn't say EW's aren't a wise decision ... I just can't see the logic in laying down a considerable amount of dough right when you buy the unit when it's already covered under a one year warranty. I guaran-damn-tee you'll find a comparable EW deal say 11 months down the road without lining your dealers pockets further.
Dieselguy, I absolutely agree with the opinion on EW's from the get-go. Normally, I reject all attempts to sell me an EW on anything I buy. At the time though, I had no knowledge of what a 5'er was going to entail, and they just added it to the cost so it was spread over the lifetime of payments. Now that I know these units better, I would definitely wait until the factory warranty is over, THEN go looking for an EW. The prior 5'ers we had were fairly simply. But the new 3725 has a lot of new sophisticated electronics and some extensive slideout systems that have made me decide to keep the EW we now have. Yep, it's a gamble, but with these things "rocking and rolling" down the road, it is inevitable that someday, something will need fixing. Then maybe I'll get some of my money back????
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
When we bought ours from Camping World I negotiated an extra year to cover for the full period AFTER the factory warranty. Also negotiated a considerable discount in price. This is a Good Sam extended warranty so please be aware that the price and length they offer is VERY negotiable!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased both of our Extended warranties at the end of the first year manufacturers warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We bought our 6 year extended warranty at the dealer and included it in the payment BUT we made sure the Extra warranty started AFTER the factory one, it is a little trick they always try to pull or it would have been only a 5 year one really, ALOT of people get Burned on that little BS move