Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Loose GFCI wire Hazard

Hey gang just giving a heads up to everybody, I meet a gentlemen that is a MOC member named Bob from Canada(can not Remember his MOC name) and I was talking to him at Ocean Mist Resort in Ocean Shores, Wa and he mentioned the wires in his GFCI came loose and started smoking and almost started a fire and told me to watch out for it and I said O.K. and what do ya know we came back from our trip and I started smelling burning wire so I remembered what Bob told me and I checked the one in the Kitchen and what do ya know???? 1 wires was out and one was just hanging from the connection in the back and another was loose,I reconnected and Tightned. it...Problem Solved!!!! THANX MY MAN!!! you saved my bacon

Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Was it a backstab type receptacle? The kind where the stripped wire is just pushed into a hole and is held in only by serrated spring-like contacts? They are better than the ones from decades ago, but I still don't like that type.

Those kind of connections are not very safe if you ask me, notorious for pulling out or weak, loose physical bonding for an electrical circuit, which makes for wiring that gets very hot or even may cause a fire. I always use the screw terminals to make wiring connections, for my own peace of mind.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 the stick in kind. Those are for places that don't move, bounce, vibrate or jiggle. Don't think aircraft standards need to apply, but obviously something at least close is needed for just about everything, especially things that could be hazerdous in an RV. Doubt the industry will ever agree to that though.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My kitchen GFCI tripped occasionally for no apparent reason. Isolated all I could and found loose wires as mentioned above. Now at home and will replace GFCI.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Thanks for the update, I will check mine out today.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep it was the backstab kind of connection... Scary stuff it happened about midnight and I was about to go to bed and smelled it I could not figure it out at first but knew it was coming from the kitchen then Remembered what Bob the MOC member I meet told me and gave it a looksie and there it was I just woke up so now I will check the rest of them..THAT is one reason I Love this Forum,if it was not for the help of BOB and all the other Members of MOC it would be hard to figure problems out sometimes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Hey gang just giving a heads up to everybody, I meet a gentlemen that is a MOC member named Bob from Canada(can not Remember his MOC name) and I was talking to him at Ocean Mist Resort in Ocean Shores, Wa and he mentioned the wires in his GFCI came loose and started smoking and almost started a fire and told me to watch out for it and I said O.K. and what do ya know we came back from our trip and I started smelling burning wire so I remembered what Bob told me and I checked the one in the Kitchen and what do ya know???? 1 wires was out and one was just hanging from the connection in the back and another was loose,I reconnected and Tightned. it...Problem Solved!!!! THANX MY MAN!!! you saved my bacon

How did you tighten it? I have pulled on mine to check that it is seated, but didn't see anyway to tighten wires
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
My take is if the wires are pushed into the back of a GFI, the GFI should be replaced with one with screw terminals.

Just my thoughts. I have had problems at the house with push in connectors on GFI's

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
There is a screw on the side next to the hole where the wire gets pushed in one wire was out one was loose I loosned the screw all the way pushed the wires back in and Tightned them down and Yes I am going to home Depot to get the kind where the wire is wrapped around the screw itself on the side for sure!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

How did you tighten it? I have pulled on mine to check that it is seated, but didn't see anyway to tighten wires
Old 10-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sometimes the items in our rigs are sloppily assembled at the factory. Going through the whole rig and removing/tightening every electrical connections is part of the new owner routine. There are many things that need checking, like tightness of the U-bolts and so many other things that I've already checked I forget what I've had to do to gain more confidence with the rig. Can anyone else remind us what else that we have to worry about. We've covered U-bolts and electrical, now what else?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the "heads up". I'll be sure to check mine.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Checked mine and it was loose. It had "twice reset" recently. Changing it out tomorrow! What a great heads up! Thanks
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Just checked mine and was the screw type. Everything was tight.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep ,,I wish I could remember the MOC name of the Guy that told me about this ,he must not be on the Forum too often but THANK YOU BOB from Canada With the Mountainer! my buddy that was with me with a SOB just shrugged him off but I am glad I did not ,you gotta listen and learn from other people's experiences it may save your Bacon someday like it did for me
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thank you, Your post reminded me that last year I smelled something burning and couldn't find it. Just awhile ago after reading your post I went out to look at our GFI and this is what I found. There were no loose wires. The top wire had also gotten hot. It has now been replaced, now on to tackle the black tank flush

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote