Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The Canyon, Grand of Course, got suggestions

Well, it looks as if THE Trip will lead us next to the Grand Canyon area, South rim I believe.

So, looking for input/suggestions, campgrounds, good eats, places to stay away from.

And, NO, I am not going out on that walkway thingy! After the Palm Springs Tram there are not enough drugs in the world to get me out on that thing. Shudder, shudder.

We are open to all suggestions. Current plan, which is, of course, written in dust, is to head to Utah after the GC.

So, what say ye?

(And, thanks to those who have offered suggestions off line to me in the past, your input is so valuable. But, you know I just gotta offer this up to ALL our MOC friends for feedback! WHAHOO)

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We stayed at Distant Drums RV Resort and made it a day trip to the GC. Getting higher in elevation and the temp gets colder. Great CG and close to Sedona and other area attractions.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Carol, We stayed in Williams, Az and just drove to the Cayon and Painted Desert from there.
This campground was a PA but not sure it is now. http://www.grandcanyonrvparks.com/.
Wayne
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
Jealous!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carol,
We stayed in Williams as well. Took the train and bus tour. Had a great time. We splurged and went in the 1st class car, way too much fun. Lunch @ the park wasn't special but the bus tour was. Driver was terrific and we got to see just enough.

RV park was ok. We planned a few too many days to visit Williams....could have been done in a day or so. Overall, a great experience!

Ken & Marilyn
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Carol we were there the last few days of March for 3 nights at Trailer Village. Make sure you have plenty of propane and warm clothes. We elected to stay right in the park and spend a few days exploring and catching all the different view. As far as Trailer Village goes we were pretty disappointed in the condition of the rv park roads. All the interior Grand Canyon roads were in great shape trees trimmed etc. We had to have maintenance come out to trim trees in order for us to depart, the exit road for us was row I and the pavement was broken and had a drop off of at least 8"s too risky so the campground ranger said they didn't realize the road was in that bad a shape and we did get the trees trimmed so we and our traveling friends could exit without damaging out rigs. Would we stay there again yes, and of course plan our exit route like we do at any other campground. Enjoy the views we sure did.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Hello,
We camped at the Grand Canyon KOA north of Williams. If i remember correctly it is 40 ish miles straight into the south rim.
We used the KOA as our base camp and went to all the places in the area on day trips.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We stayed at the Trailer Village in the park, had full hook-ups, the sites were large and it was great just being a walk away. We did also use the bus services which starts around 5:00 am for those who want to catch the sunrise and runs quite late night too.

Staying right there you can go back n forth as much as you want to. Sometimes we would go out in the morning, come back for lunch and head out late afternoon or early evening. This way you can see the 'Grand" at different times of days and of course it will be different colors.

We were there around the end of April beginning of May. One thing we didn't do because I didn't know about it is Antelope Canyon, I saw pictures of it and it is just beautiful. I don't know the distance but it is well worth the trip. Of course Sedona is a must too.

Enjoy every moment. We can't wait to go back again.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Carol I sure am glad you asked this question we have been trying to plan for later in the yr. I know Bill and Helen [adelmoll] stayed at williams but she said they would stay at the CG about 10 miles back from the canyon when they went back. I can't find it but I have been thinking about trailer village. I will watch this thread. Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, thanks for all the feedback, we read it all, took it all under advisement, pulled out the maps and decided on Trailer Village.

Will admit some of our decision is based upon fact that our Mr. Gallagher is having continuing health issues and we cannot take dogs into the park. So, being really close will be a huge relief and work out better for us, this year, this trip.

We will stay 3 nights, water and electric. It will work out just fine I am sure.

THANKS ALL!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Carol I think I found the other one it is camper village and it is 1 mile out of the park listed in Tusayan AZ. just thought you might want to take a look. they also have a trolly stop.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Bobby, however, we have made our reservation, it was made before I posted 2nd time.

We head out Monday, about 130 miles to go, 3 nights at the Canyon, then ???????????????
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
We only got to the North Rim of the canyon, but it was beautiful. Enjoy
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
The North Rim is our personal favorite. But, of course, the overall route usually determines which rim is visited.

A few years ago, we posted some photos of a visit to the North Rim.

http://dwilliamson.com/GrandCanyon/Page.html

EDITED TO ADD:

BTW: Take a close look at the background image on the index page of our National Park Visit:

http://dwilliamson.com/Parks.html

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
There no place in the Canyon that is not beautiful. Just be prepared for some really cold weather and that dirty s$#w word. Dress warm and enjoy!

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #16
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
John and I stayed at Williams and took the train to the Grand Canyon. The north rim is prettier then the south rim we took that one a couple of years ago and we stayed in St. George Utah.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Warm coats - - check - - got the winter ones, hats, gloves, thermies, sweaters, extra socks, might even have a pair of boots stashed in here somewhere.

One reason we have been holding in Arizona so long is the weather. Yes, there was "S" north of here last weekend, and in fact, we still saw some at elevation of near 7,000 yesterday between Prescott and Jerome. In the ditches kind of snow, not the kind that covers everything.

Of course, holding in Arizona has not been a punishment, - eh??

Again, many thanks to all that have responded here and off the forum, to this request and to our trip reports on the blog. It really has been THE Trip of our lifetime. After dreaming for 30 years and trying for over 5 years to get out here we are enjoying every sun loaded moment, and the rainy ones too!

Our wish for all is that you can fulfill your dreams and travel where your heart desires.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Just remember Carol.. You are just scratching the tip of the ice burg.. There are many more beautiful places west of I-35 (East too for that matter). The entire State of Utah is the best place to start when you leave Arizona.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #19
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we even had 16n inches of snow in Northplatte Nebraska on Friday. I80 was closed for a while, so I am sure you will see more as you get north and into the Mountains. BE safe
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I agree with Helen, Utah is a must, the southern part has so many gorgeous places
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote