Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
Slide screeches

3811MS.

Have recently developed a metal against metal screeching sound when the passenger slide closes. I've sprayed silicone grease and all the other stuff in the gears that I can see. Can't figure out where the screeching sound is coming from.
Any help?
Please and thanks.

Steve

Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Whiskeydick
Established Member

M.O.C. #23582
Where the hydrolic ram is attached to the slide there are nuts attached for adjusting the slide, the threads slide thru a bracket and can make a pretty annoying squeal.
Whiskeydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
More likely it's the square tube sliding in the square sleeve where the tube slides into that is dry and the metal sliding on metal is what's making the noise. The only thing you can do is liberally spray that silicone spray all the way around the square tube, and you might even have to do this several times to get the squeal toned down.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
On my 2014 with hyd slideouts I do this twice a year and the slides move faster and are quite. Prior to this one or both main slides would squeal during opening or closing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6363B09-4773-4AC9-AA77-32BC72ECB23B.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	3906  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I personally do not use silicone to lube the gears and the square shaft and tube of the slides. I use a dry lube on all of them. I was told by the Lippert/LCI reps last year at the Fall Rally that silicone spray will actually dry out any seals that may be on the slideouts and the level-up legs. On the legs they told me to just take a lint free rag and put a little hydraulic fluid on it and wipe the rams down. On the slides they recommended the dry lube and then take a rag and wipe if down after spraying it on. You can't wipe down the gears but the dry lube works well on it and I do this prior to heading out nearly every trip. Had the squeal and screech before using the dry lube and since I've started using it, I haven't had a problem. I normally use CRC Dry Lube when I can find it. If not, I use a dry lube I purchase at Tractor Supply.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
If it is the Schwintek slides you are talking about, watch this. This is how I stopped mine from dragging and squealing.