Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Up in smoke part II

The first thread was getting to be too long and hard to pull up.We have made the decision to drop the underbelly along the side that melted and look for any other signs of damage,It is for our peace of mind.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I think that is a great idea Rich. One cannot be too comfortable with wires that got hot and not being able to see them. Who knows what may be melted together and just hadn't shorted out yet.
And thinks for starting a new post. Comes up a lot quicker.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wish I was still up there so I could poke around there with you.
Sue and I are headed down to Padre tomorrow morning, giving this Pop Stand the By By.
Nutin but Navy Pilots doing touch and go landings 1/2 mile away, airplane droning all day, plus the stupid neighbor's dog barking at it's own shadow.........
Gotta get outa here pal.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Turn the cats loose, they'll take care of Fido.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Old 01-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That is so rude of an owner of an animal to let it go on like that.
We have neighbors in our stick house that don't control their animals and it drives me nuts.
Saturday morning (sleep in time, but I wake up anyway)...7 am and the dogs are barking out in the yard. Some people's children...

The cats sound like a good idea...

Oops...sorry for going off topic...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ozzie
Our neighbor's dog is very quiet all day. Then around 11 pm he starts, then about 4AM he starts again, then at 6:30 AM. I can't wait to get out of here. First we had "Screaming Girl" a little girl that screamed the whole time she was outside. They moved and we got "Barking Dog". It is beginning to effect our good humor.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Rich, let us know what you find. Also, remember you will probably have to cut the drain lines to get the plastic off, just glue couplings on the pipes to put the jigsaw back together, also get some more self tapping 3/8 head screws from Lowe's and a driver for your drill.
At my stick home, we live on top of a hill in an old established-(redundant?) neighborhood. I have a distant neighbor, a 3/4 block away or so. He inherited a bird dog from his father in law that died. This dog is penned, never gets out, and barks 24-7 maybe he sleeps, don't know. At night, I don't hear him, but I can't go outside without the dog making me crazy....
So, I wrote him a nice letter asking him to control the dog. No response. I went to the police, they referred me to the dog catcher, I filed a report with them, they served him notice, we went to court. He told the Judge it barked all the time and they couldn't stop him. The Judge gave him 30 days to stop the barking, he came back to court and got a continuance, another 30 days went by, we went back to court, he said he would put the dog in a garage. The judge told him it would be $500.00 and 30 days in jail if he ended back in front of him. He also fined him $50.00 plus court costs.
If the dog gets back out in the pen, when we get back, I'll take him back to court and he will do some time at the farm.
I would have taken the inconsiderate jerk to the Supreme court if that is what it took.
Some people are just plain STUPID.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since the folks at RV upgrades already did this and we watched is is a lot easier. We are only droppng the side on the docking station side. This thread is about at a end..perhaps one more post.

Copy of E mail sent to Keystone . Helen and I just want to thank all of you, Yourself, Susan, Tom Brandon and Bill Tea for the professional and speedy manner in which our issues were handled. In less that two hours after our call to you for help Susan had directed us to a repair facility that did a outstanding job in replacing and rewiring the harness involved in our meltdown.Bill Tea has offered any and all assistance although separated by 2 time zones and over 2000 miles. Tom Brandon has been responsive and helpful. He has offered us a April16th date at the service center to correct any issues that may have occurred as a result of the melt down and a few others. That date is fine with us. Keystones concern for the consumer is one of the primary reasons we purchased the Montana. The other is quality of the dealer.

On other thing completely off the "problem" subject. Helen and I really liked the new sofa that we (the MOC folks ) were asked to evaluate at the Fall Rally.We would really like to have one.Would it be possible to get one while at the service center in April. Again Mark, from Helen and Rich..a big well done to all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 26 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we started this thread December 17th and it is time to put it to bed. We did drop the side of the under belly where the problem was and we see no cause for concern at this time. We did leak about 2/3's of our hydraulic fluid at the burn point and the Arctic package material and insulation in that area is saturated and will need to be replaced. We have a appointment at the Service center in Goshen April 16th for a complete going over and to correct all outstanding issues as a result of the melt down...plus some that were not. Other less critical issues have been or are being corrected locally.I need to say that Keystone acted in a speedy and professional manner in regard to our problem as did our dealer, Bill Tea of Town and Tountry Rv in Clyde, Ohio. Tom Brandon, Team Montana, Mark Krol, District sales manager and Susan, Team Montana were absolutly outstanding. Well done..No I am not a real happy camper in that we had a series of issues that IMO were and are preventible..however these are RV's and we do not want to open that can of worms. That keystone will stand behind their product and respond to a consumer in need as they did with us..proves that we were correct in our purchase....Over and out...
Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Good news, Rich. This is why we ain't lookin anywhere else when its time to buy our rig.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
louiebobo
Established Member

M.O.C. #2920
I dropped the under belly on my 2002 3575RL right after I purchased it to add wiring for my solar panels and inverter and I can tell you there is a wiring mess under there. Lots of wiring hanging across the sharp edge of supports, under or over supports. It was like just get the wire to the right spot as quick and as fast as possible.

I spent a great deal of time doing rewiring and using alot of wire ties to keep everything from hanging of rubbing on something that could fray the wire.
louiebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got a E mail from Darrell Turner, Keystone confirming our appointment at the Service center April 16th to address and correct all of our problems. The great customer service continues.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great news, Rich. We know Darrell will make everything right.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got another confirmation letter and E mail from Tom Brandon(Team Montana) acknowledging our appointment at the service center April 16th, Our melt down issue and the 18 item to date" problem list" The list is in the hands of Darrell Turner at the service center. We have met and spoke to both of these folks as many of you have and we know we are in good hands.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Can't think of a better place to turn to. They will pick at one thing at a time until everything is a-1. We can't say enough about the Keystone-Montana team.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Rich: Thanks for keeping us up top date on the problem itself and the twists and turns of the solution(s). It was a great learning experience for me, and I think most other folks. Most appreciated!!

Safe travels,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What we are trying to demonstrate here is that no matter how we feel about quality, workmanship, fit and finish and I don't think there is much doubt about how we feel,with patience, perseverance, follow up and most of all being polite (you know the good old golden rule) Keystone does take care of the consumer.We have expressed our opinion, Both Helen and Myself, at the highest levels of Keystone/Montana.. We have never been disappointed with then response from Keystone at any level.We feel that if everyone did the same with problems, and they should, they would be equally satisfied.The quality issue is across the Rv industry and may well kill the industry as it was a huge factor in the now dying auto industry..Howver Keystone is one of the few that makes the effort to provide consumer satisfaction and is one of the primary reasons we have a Keystone product.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Rich
You are lucky that you have a dealer that will back you up and that you can trust. I hope all of your problems are taken care of and that you have no more. I took mine back to my local dealer and ended up with more than it was worth to even take it there. Dolly and I both love our Montana but I will never set foot on the dealers property again. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Understand that Al and you are way out there in Co and a rip to the service center would be a chore.However sometimes if there is no satisfaction with the dealer it may be worth it to call team Montana and let them know.You might want to find out who your district sales rep is out there and have a chat with him. Our district sales rep was the first person we called when we had our melt down and he made things happen. Your dealer may need a attitude adjustment..I can't imagine a dealer putting the franchise for the best selling 5th wheel in the industry in jeopardy.