Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Propane heat for Boondocking

This is an old Mod, but thought I would post it again.
The fan motor on our furnaces will pretty much deplete the battery on a stock Trailer when the furnace runs in the evening and at night if we are 'Off Grid', along with the other DC Loads we have.
Many use a small Propane heater with it's own tank to get them by; Mr. Heater, Big Buddy similar heaters.
I always overdo most everything, but in this case my heater seems to be a good fit for the entire RV if it gets cold out. It is a 20,000 BTU heater, you can use it with the circulation fan, or without. I forgot the amp draw of the fan, but it isn't much, guessing 1 or 2 amps A.C. The low oxygen sensor is interesting, if oxygen (I know that is not absolutely accurate,) 21% Oxygen, 78% Nitrogen and other stuff.. a little water vapor in there somewhere.. any you smokers mess all those numbers up a bit..
Anyway, the low oxygen sensor is just the tiny pilot light, it goes out if there isn't the proper mixture of 'breathing air'
Don't get confused by Carbon Monoxide and low 'breathing air', if the pilot light goes out, you are not being poisoned, just open the window a bit more. You should have some ventilation when using any of these units, doesn't take much. You will get a bit of water vapor when they are in use.
Anyhoo, I cut a gas line, installed a flare tee, a shut-off valve, a quick disconnect, a floor pipe support and.. 'Bob's your uncle,,' A heater install in the living room.

Pictures of The heater and a security system monitor I installed:
http://tinyurl.com/OzzPropaneHeater

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
With you talking about alternate heat sources for winter already and the Indians in my part of the country piling firewood like crazy ... I fear we're in for terrible winter!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I got the winter prep fever from listening to what the crickets are saying in the basement... I try not to listen to the voices in my head, they cray-cray.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Very nice addition...since we are planning on being in the Q after the holidays and thru March this may be something to consider. I am also looking to design and construct a solar water heater to tie into the existing on board WH so we can save propane. The key will be the flow and transfer system of the hot water.

Any suggestions Ozz?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, obviously a solar collector with black tubing, a watts circulating pump controlled by a temperature sensing control. The pump is a low wattage, small circulator pimp. it could even be throttled down more with an orifice. You could make different discs and change them out until you got the desired flow, or jog the pump maybe..

Circuit diagram
http://tinyurl.com/BoomBoom-Boomer

Old 09-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
Could not tell from the picture, the make of the heater. We will be looking for a propane heater as soon as we get down to Yuma in October. So you recommend this one over the Wave or Mr. Buddy heaters? Can you tell me the cost of one of these please
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I like this one because I can run it off the Propane supply from my current piping with a little modification. I like it also because it has a large BTU rating if needed, and a circulating fan that draws very little amps. I don't really dislike the smaller units, but imagine they would be better for 'spot' heating in very cold weather. A person should run the furnace when below freezing to keep the pipes from freezing, but around 35-up these heaters are great.
I bought it at a Farm Supply store, Here is a link:

http://tinyurl.com/OzzKeeping-Warm

You can get something like it at Lowe's or Home Despot

Maybe something around 10 - 15,000 BTU's would be OK as well, you might not need 20,000. The price would be cheaper as well.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417

I bought a 10,000BTU heater with thermostat at RV Lifestyles in Quartzsite. Wish I would of bought a 20,000 BTU. Whatever you buy, make sure it has a thermostat as it is a real pita if you don't.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
If anyone wants to know, the forced air furnace in the Montana pulls 10 Amps.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote