Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
deesle

M.O.C. #21820
AC Shore Power Issue

Hi guys, I am a relatively new RVer so please forgive if any of this sounds wacky. I am having an issue with my 2018 3950BR's shore AC power. I have tested voltage on both legs of the 50 amp outlet. I have tested both legs to neutral and to ground and get 120v on both. I still have no power to any of the breakers in the power center and no microwave clock, etc... 12v is fine. I pulled the power center cover in the hall and I get no voltage on any breaker lugs. I am not new to AC electrical so this one has me a bit perplexed and I think I am missing something.

Do you know if there is anything between the RV's power cord and the power distribution center that may trip the incoming power?

I appreciate any thoughts.

deesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There are a couple things to check. Do you have a generator? If so, maybe your transfer switch is in generator mode. No generator, I would unplug the shore cord from your rig, then plug the cord into the pedestal and check for voltage at the trailer end of the cord, just to make sure the cord is connected internally. The only other thing might be the 50 amp main breaker in the rig's panel, could it be switched off?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
deesle

M.O.C. #21820
Thanks for the reply. Good point on the switch. I only have the generator prep and not the generator. I am not sure if that option with a transfer switch or not or where it might be. Is it in the generator compartment or behind something?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
you might just check that the battery disconnect is not turned off. It is normally in the in the water hook up compartment.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I think that Gen Prep does include the install of a Transfer Switch, which is probably mounted on the back wall of the Gen/Battery compartment.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
deesle

M.O.C. #21820
That makes perfect sense. Do they normally mount the switch in the open? I checked the battery compartment and gen box but do not see it. I do see a J box in the garage on the ceiling with a 10 gauge romex coming out of it leading behind the back wall of the compartment. Any other place it might be?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
On our SOB it's kind of hidden behind the Generator Enclosure, have to stick my head into the battery compartment to be able to see it. Would guess yours would be similar since our SOB is also under Keystone.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Did it work when you did your PDI at the dealer ship? And what have you done since then
that mite have changed.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
I agree with Snoopy.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
The battery disconnect should not have any effect on shore power voltage. Check to see if you have voltage through the power cord......then at the breaker. I can't imagine that it would be anything sophisticated
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You might check the main 50 amp breaker again. They have a tendency to be tripped and not act like it. Switch the breaker on and then off and see if it resets. If not you might have a bad breaker. Your unit is a 2018 so it is still under warranty and I would suggest you have your dealer check it out. If you are away from your dealer or don't want to go back to them because of some reason, contact Keystone Customer Service and explain the situation and get a file started on your unit. They can recommend another dealer or a mobile service tech that may be able to help also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
deesle

M.O.C. #21820
Finally got it sorted

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies I truly appreciate it. I finally found the transfer switch (PD52 240 VAC 50-Amp Automatic Transfer Switch) and that turned out to be problem. The switch was mounted behind a panel in the garage bay closest to the bay door and the stairs. 4 screws and it came right off. The shore power contact switch appears to have failed which was the top one. I am at a loss of what caused the failure but it appears Keystone installed it in the incorrect configuration per Progressive. I am not sure if that is the reason it failed or not but its obviously not correct. I am going to see if I can re-orient the installation to vertical but I hope I have enough wire to do so.

On another note I normally use a cheapo plug surge protector but it occurred to me that wouldn't help when on generator. The model PD52DCSV transfer switch has a surge protector built into it so I am going to be ordering that one and replace this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer switch mount problem.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1672   Click image for larger version

Name:	PD52.png
Views:	81
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	1673  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
The sad part about the switch gear failing is that you cannot only replace the part that failed. I have replaced 2 boxes since 2008 using my surge protection. I called several wholesale electrical warehouses and electrical suppliers and found that it is for trailers and mobile homes, parts are not available, whole box unit replace.
It was a bear replacing it with where it was located on the stair wall in the storage bay.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
kathyloving501@gmail.com

M.O.C. #20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesle View Post
Hi guys, I am a relatively new RVer so please forgive if any of this sounds wacky. I am having an issue with my 2018 3950BR's shore AC power. I have tested voltage on both legs of the 50 amp outlet. I have tested both legs to neutral and to ground and get 120v on both. I still have no power to any of the breakers in the power center and no microwave clock, etc... 12v is fine. I pulled the power center cover in the hall and I get no voltage on any breaker lugs. I am not new to AC electrical so this one has me a bit perplexed and I think I am missing something.

Do you know if there is anything between the RV's power cord and the power distribution center that may trip the incoming power?

I appreciate any thoughts.
Try testing the fuses. We had fuses go out and sounds similar to our problem.
kathyloving501@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, no ac power, shore power