Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #21
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
Well to add insult to injury the sink water in half bath drains into black tank also. I am sure the design is for what ever is easiest and cheapest to do.

martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #22
Kruskop's
Established Member

M.O.C. #22567
Thumbs up Washer drains into black tank 3931fb

Okay, good to know the entire half bath goes into the black as well as the washer. That means the kitchen sink is on its own gray. My husband said too much work to replumb so will have to live with it and be aware.
Love the floorplan otherwise!
Kruskop's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
We really enjoy the floorplan also. Have to look at the plumbing as the glass is half full vs half empty. Every wash day the black tank gets a good soapy rinse.
When using the washing machine I leave the black tank open ( we are full hookup) and close when not using the washing machine.
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
FrankandSue

M.O.C. #23022
Same here. Half bath drains into black tank as well as the washer and dryer. Glad I found it before I had a massive issue.
FrankandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
A pervious unit had the bath sink drain to the black tank. My current units washer drains into the bath gray tank. We don't have a washer so no issue there.

I would be VERY careful with one that drained into the black tank. That sounds like a recipe for disaster some day. I can picture it now, washer is draining while a volcano of poo is gushing from the toilet running down the steps and out the entry door.

If it were me I think I would find a way to redirect the washer line directly to the main drain pipe and not into any tanks. With the inaccuracy of the level gauges I would not trust it draining into any tank.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
It seems like a lot of MFG are connecting them into the black tanks, a friend just bought SOB Toy Hauler and he found out the hard way as it backed up into his 1/2 bath in the garage all over his floor. I think they should always go in the grey tank or they should put a label next to the hookups for the machines stating where it is connected to and make sure your tanks are empty before running them.

Garage was easier to clean then it spilling all over say the main bedroom up front, that would be a MESS
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #27
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
two bathrooms in our 3910, washer drains to gray.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
It seems like a lot of MFG are connecting them into the black tanks, a friend just bought SOB Toy Hauler and he found out the hard way as it backed up into his 1/2 bath in the garage all over his floor. I think they should always go in the grey tank or they should put a label next to the hookups for the machines stating where it is connected to and make sure your tanks are empty before running them.

Garage was easier to clean then it spilling all over say the main bedroom up front, that would be a MESS
Mine goes into the bath grey tank ~ thankfully. I think the guy doing the plumbing has no clue and just connects to the closest pipe next to where he is sitting.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post

That's a great idea, having a label/warning stating where the washer drains to. Would cost them pennies per unit to do that, but not going to happen.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
That's a great idea, having a label/warning stating where the washer drains to. Would cost them pennies per unit to do that, but not going to happen.
Some have said they had a label warning that the washer drained directly to the sewer outlet. But don’t remember anyone saying they had a label saying it drained into a grey or black tank.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #31
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
to paraphrase the manual with a fun spin "We will plumb the washer drain line depending on our mood" Seriously though. It says the washer may be plumbed to a gray or black tank or directly to the outlet depending on the floor plan.

When I got ours home the first time I traced the drain to verify which tank it drained into. There are some surprises I try to avoid.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have never trusted the tanks for proper labeling or where the washer drains. On both our Montana we put a few gallons of water in each tank along with different colors of food dye. We then pulled each tan individually and noted what color water came out.. Now we knew what tank did what and what pull handle belonged to what tank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #33
Edalgreen

M.O.C. #22612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruskop's View Post
This is our 3rd Montana but the new one (3931fb) drains into the 1st black tank next to the half bath. There is a sink right there so not sure why they didn't use the gray. Now we have to check black level before doing wash. This is the only flaw we have found in this design so far. I called Keystone and their comment was it was because washer water should go into black. I disagree. Will look into replumbing.
Did you ever find a way to replumb your Washer drain? We also have a 3931FB and have now dealt with the embarrassment of an exploding toilet in the half bathroom on several occasions, all because of the Washer dumping into the black-water tank. How ridiculous!
Edalgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #34
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
When my wife decides to wash clothes we open the front black tank. Close when she finishes. That tank stays clean but agree it should go to gray. Her 1st wash I opened the gray and water came up and out on the floor. Thankfully that toilet had not been used yet. Never thought washer water would go to the black tank. 3762FL
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #35
FrankandSue

M.O.C. #23022
I will add that the sink in our half bath as well as the washer goes into the black tank. Silly. But we know it now and thankfully I found out before we had an “accident”. I’ve had to replace both toilets because they ran all the time. Domestic thermostats are the devil, and whoever tightens the lines on the back of the water heater needs to be fired. Other than that I love the Rv. I never forget that I am pulling a house at 70mph down the road. I expect things to happen, but some of this makes me scratch my head.
FrankandSue is offline   Reply With Quote