Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Topĵustice.............. same deal either way, car axle or fridge, a simple remove & replace and if an RV service department is not trained to pull out a fridge & replace it, or for that matter change out the bad circuit board then quite frankly what the hell are they doing trying to run a service department.....

Your arguments are ridiculous, Montana warranty for a year, Montana fixes it through an authorized dealer. It really is that simple.... Almost everything you buy today has outsourced parts, with your argument any breakage or failure would put you on the phone trying to get repairs with many different suppliers............ ridiculous
Thanks for calling my comments ridiculous even though I said I don't have all the answers. I do know that you don't need to call Samsung or any other manufacturer to get warranty service. All you have to do is contact a local authorized repair company and they will do the rest. That's how I do it at home. I have never had to call a manufacturer to get warranty repairs. Besides, who wants to have their fiver tied up at a dealer while they wait the long delay of getting a new unit if the one you have is easily repairable? Your appliance dealer will determine that. If you love your dealer then use them.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #22
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
With all due respect I think this is part of the reason that the RV industry is a hot mess. If I purchased an RV with res fridge and it stopped working under warranty I would have every expectation that the dealer would take care of the problem. The notion that somehow the dealer needs a certified manufacturer's appliance tech on payroll or on hand is just not so. These "appliances" are treated as consumables. They replace and RMA or RTV depending on where the 5er is in the sales process. In addition since in the case of the OP I think the fridge would need to removed via the slide whom else but the dealer or another RV service provider is going to perform this? Remove and replace...then the old is repaired and used in another scenario. Granted if the failure is caused by a routinely field replaceable item a third party is usually contracted via the warranty provider. This is where the dealer relationship has tremendous bearing.
To each his own. If you want to deal with an RV dealer, that's a personal preference. My personal experiences with local dealers after several RV's is to avoid them at all cost. I don't trust them. I don't think they are competent. And most of them are so busy that they take shortcuts or keep your RV for weeks or months at a time. Not interested unless it's structurally related. Everyone should do what they want and how they feel about their local dealerships.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
My Samsung/Camping World experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
FYI:

This may be old news but I recently purchased a 2018 3721RL Montana from Camping World. Short story...Samsung Fridge has already stopped working. Freezer works great..Fridge doesn’t cool down. Called Camping World and service informed me “we only sell Samsung Fridges, but we don’t fix them.” Probably a blessing in disguise keeping my Montana away from those fools. I have a call in to Samsung to attempt the next steps in getting a brand new Samsung Refrigerator to work properly.

If you are buying a Montana from Camping World with a Samsung Residential Refrigerator make sure it works!
I bought a new 2017 Montana HC 353RL with the Samsung residential fridge from Camping World. Without a long explanation, Camping World replaced all 3 doors under warranty for us. There has been some disappointments from the service dept since buying the unit on other unrelated issues, but our Samsung refer issue was not one of them. They stepped up and took care of the Samsung problem promptly.
Like others have said, contact Keystone and they will get a claim started and direct you to the appropriate repair center.
I also agree with rollingdownthehighway on this...if the refer never worked, it's not camping worlds' fault, and should have been caught during your PDI, assuming you made them do one. Dealers are not going to go through a detailed PDI if the customer doesnt request/demand it. If the refer failed sometime after delivery, then it's up to Keystone to cover the repair...at Camping World or at Bob's shade tree appliance, or wherever.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two nearby dealers and our Purchasing dealer who in 60 miles away.We like them all, they do good work. The Montana is at a nearby dealer now inspecting and packing the wheel bearings and inspecting the roof.We have had dealers replace holding tanks, repair hot water tanks, replace cooling units, install awnings.We have called the manufacturer to get warranty repairs and were directed to a repair center or had the parts sent to us. They are busy and it took 3 weeks to get the RV in the shop this AM and it will be out this afternoon. We have never had any Rv in the shop for weeks or months. just our experience over 12 years of Montana ownership and 4 previous Rv's
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
2X what richfaa said.

My dealer is 2000 miles away. Bough it in Michigan and live in AZ. Second rig bought there as their pricing was right. My local dealer (sunshine RV) also sells Montana's and has worked on mine under warranty.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Wow this was a hot topic!!

I understand why folks would want the appliances covered under warranty but by the same token I see why Keystone and dealers would shy away from dealing with appliances (especially residential fridge).

Fairly obvious that modern appliances are more or less "throw away" commodities. For certain TVs are cheaper to replace than fix these days! I suspect that a residential fridge that goes out is cheaper to replace than it is to fix in many cases. They are built to be the cheapest to buy not the longest lasting. That is a trend that unfortunately we as consumers are responsible for because we tend to buy the unit that costs less (IE: we are unwilling to pay for quality). Not the case for everyone but I suspect at least 90% of purchases.

My recommendation is first realize that you bought a Keystone, which while it is a good brand it is NOT the best built brand. To keep their costs down they don't use the very top end appliances. If your not willing to pay a premium for very top end camper then that is something you have to accept. Second, find a top quality repair ONLY shop to do your work. Do not expect great service from a sales dealer. They only have a repair shop to meet dealership requirements. A repair only shop will do far better and faster work for you. It is after all their PRIMARY business. If you have a residential fridge I would find a good appliance guy not an RV repair shop.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The original post said it stopped working already.. So from that statement it was working and died later. PDI would not have caught it.

Yes , dealers cannot be expected to be in the appliance repair business.
That said they should be able to file a warranty claim and point you to an appliance repair shop.

And Yes, Keystone is making sure they are profitable by going to the low bidder, but they still need to stand behind their product.

Can you tell I was on a customer call that did not go well today?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #28
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
snip> I suspect that a residential fridge that goes out is cheaper to replace than it is to fix in many cases. They are built to be the cheapest to buy not the longest lasting. That is a trend that unfortunately we as consumers are responsible for because we tend to buy the unit that costs less (IE: we are unwilling to pay for quality). Not the case for everyone but I suspect at least 90% of purchases.<snip>
Wow! I suspect someone has not went shopping for a refrigerator lately. They are generally much less $$$ to repair than replace. There are no high quality residential refrigerators. Some of the built-ins might lead one to suspect the quality is high but that is an illusion. I just retired from the industry after ~40 years working on them. A typical labor charge is ~$165. Parts run from $7.50 to $400. New 18 cu foot trio (3 door) Samsung start at ~1,200. You can get a dorm reefer for ~$400. they have not reached the same "throw away" level as under 50" flat screen TVs. Yet. I would mirror what James said. Call Samsung direct. Have a dedicated reefer dude come fix it, especially if under warranty.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mosnowman,

Where do you stand getting your reefer fixed?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #30
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Mosnowman,

Where do you stand getting your reefer fixed?
Just fire up the troops and run
Old 05-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Here’s my work thus far....in addition to my full time job.

Samsung

Phone Calls:
To Camping World Service
4/26/2018 - Voicemail
- left description of problem - requested return call

4/29/2018 - Sunday Service Closed

4/30/2018 - Voicemail
- requested missing Samsung (gray) door gasket seal / return call

5/14/2018 - Service - Voicemail
- second request for seal /return call

5/14: Went to Camping World to speak directly with service. Was told “We sell the refrigerators, but we don’t service them”. Instructed to call Samsung directly.

5/15 Samsung Online Request

5/16 Samsung Callback
- sent trouble shooting email - n/a
- troubleshooting email was not applicable to problem

5/16 Called Samsung spoke with a person
- informed person of missing gasket seal on left door
- person had me verify the following

Steps:
Verify Temp
Demo Mode -48 hours
Wait to hear compressor
Reset icemaker wait 24 hours

I informed him all above steps were completed.

At this point person stated we can’t send technician until all trouble shooting steps are completed???

I stated the door seal was missing and can you send me one to try to see if that helps. At this point after a 10 minute hold he set up service request for technician. Informed me that a Tech will call within 24 hours

5/17: Samsung Leaves Message
“Unfortunately we do not have a service technician in your area. Please forward us your bill of sale.

5/18: Samsung leaves multiple messages on the same day asking for bill of sale

5/21: Uploaded Camping World Bill of Sale - 8:09 central.

5/21: Contacted Keystone - warranty record created - instructed to contact dealer who in turn will contact them.

I am planning on talking with a small dealer in the area where I have the fiver stored on my lake lot. I have gotten to know him over the years, and he mentioned he would try to help me. He doesn’t sell Montana line, but is a Keystone Dealer. Picture small town culture...ie...they care about my problem.
Hopefully they can help me with this.

I will stand by my original comments that when you buy a new Fifth Wheel everything should work or be fixed/replaced by selling dealer. I am not retired, and have a full time job in addition to trying to deal with this. Very frustrated, but being an optimist I think my friend at the small dealership will come through for me...fingers crossed. I will keep you all informed until this is resolved, or I am in litigation with Samsung, Camping World, and Keystone. I am going ahead and contacting the Missouri State Attorney General regarding the issue, and am documenting everything for future court case if neccessary.
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #32
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I guess I missed you saying a door seal was missing in an earlier post to the thread until post #31. If a door seal is missing, the evaporator will ice up more than the defrost system will be able to handle. Therefore you will have no air circulation in that compartment (frig or frzr). That compartment will not cool. Todays refrigerators do not have a robust defrost system like the older ones (80 watt heaters vs 400 watt heaters - 47d defrost termination thermostats vs 70d defrost thermostats). They do not handle excess frost from a leakind door seal and high humidity.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #33
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I posted last year about a friend with a Samsung residential that stopped working. CW called refer tech who would not work on it inside the 5er. CW removes the rear window and tech returns to work on it in the CW facility. Refer was reinstalled. Not long after refer quits and CW calls a tech, again will not work on it inside the 5er so out/in the rear window again. Just before 1 year is up the refer quit again. This time it was replaced with a new refer. The only thing different since the last time is CW repaired the rear window water leak after warranty at no charge. Be assured if this one needs to come out CW may not want to take it out again and who would want that bill? It takes one or two to get it ready but 6 to get it through the window. The alternative is to remove a slide. Very happy with my Dometic 4 door RV refer..................
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #34
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Good news today! I don’t have permission to use his name here, ( a person who works for the Keystone Montana Line ) but I would give him credit for getting the ball moving at this point. Due to his involvement Keystone reached out to me this morning! They are in the process of contacting the smaller dealer I suggested for service. I also contacted the dealer and gave him a heads up that they would be calling. He is on board to help me as well. So I will continue to update this thread until the problem is resolved. Fingers crossed it is as simple as putting the missing door gasket on! Stay tuned....
Old 05-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #35
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Even better news this afternoon! I just received a call from Keystone and they are replacing my refrigerator with a new one! I am now contacting the smaller dealer to work things out. ( scheduling etc ) Looking very positive at this point...but I will keep this thread updated until everything is completed.

Thank you Keystone for standing behind your Montana Customers!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #36
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Great news, glad someone is stepping up to take care of your problem. Let us know how it turns out!
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #37
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Good news!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Wow... good deal!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #39
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Be sure to circle back and let the great folks you worked with at CW how this all worked out.