Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #161
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford uses compacted graphite iron in their 6.7 Diesel engine and 2.7 Ecoboost and new 3 L Diesel. Ram uses it in thsir 3 L Diesel. I think it’s Kenworth that uses it in their Diesel trucks. BMW makes some engines out of it, I think.
The reason everybody doesn’t use it is because special Machine Tools are needed. The cutting tools must be much better for CGI than cast iron. You can’t just change cutting tools. The machines haft to be much better at the cost of tens of millions of dollars. CGI blocks are cast with thinner walls so you don’t decide one day to change to CGI. CGI has been around for decades but we couldn’t machine it. The old way of machineing it a boring tool would last maybe one cylinder the it would haft to be changed. With new grades of carbide and more important coatings and many cutters on a boring bar along with slower speeds and feeds you are able to now make engines out of CGI.
The advantages of CGI are longer wear, less vibration, less noise and lighter weight.
I would suspect as machine tools and new engines are designed every body will go to CGI engines. It’s just a better block material.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #162
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well it as been at the dealership for thirty days now. I have been receiving calls from Ford Corporate for a few weeks now. Yesterday I got a call saying corporate has made a decision on what they plan on doing. Unfortunately I was in training and meetings most of the day so I just got that message and I will get another call tomorrow, Thursday to update me. Yes I still want them to do a buy back and I have heard that it still happens with the right circumstances. My old 2000 is the result of ford buying back my brand new 1999 truck because of a transmission issue they could not resolve. When I requested that I wanted a buy back the original customer service rep didn't miss a beat. In my opinion it is still happening at all manufacturers when it meets certain criteria. We will see tomorrow what is going to happen.
Oh one last thing that want to mention is my dearer has been very good to me with providing a loaner truck so we could still do our scheduled trips.

Tom
Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 PM   #163
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My friend had a Ford that was eventually bought back. What a POS. It took a court date to get them to the negotiating table. Then to keep the issue from public disclosure they bought it back dollar for dollar plus a few thou for the trouble, and attorney fees as a pre court settlement.

If they could put the Cummins power train into a Ford or GMC, it would be the only truck people would buy.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #164
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
The verdict is in and Ford offered to either do a replacement or repurchase on my 2017 Platinum. I will recieve papers via FedEx early next week to sign and return to Ford. Although I am not happy about my truck not being available right now I am very happy that Ford is taking care of the issue in a professional manner. I am requesting a new replacement truck which I now have a VIN number. The rep said he might be able to expedite my truck through the build process which would be nice. This whole process was handled without me losing my temper or doing anything that was not professional, no lawyers etc. I have to say at this point in time I am happy with Ford in how they are taking care of the issue. Build date in August and delivered in mid September if everything stays on schedule, maybe sooner if the truck is expedited.

Side note if I found a truck that I was happy with on a dealership lot I could get it and not have to wait. Unfortunately the way I set up my truck optionwise you don't find them on the lot. I don't think there is any real changes between my 18 and the new 19's.

Dealership has been very good to work with on my truck problem so far.

Tom Marty
Old 07-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #165
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
cgi = compacted graphic iron engine blocks. Stronger than regular cast iron. So engines can be made with less bulk and therefore lighter. Ford has been using it for about 15 years. Don’t know about others.
And I thought CGI=Computer Generated Imagery
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #166
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great news Tom. Now the agonizing wait begins. I just went through it with a F150. Ordering is the only way to get exactly what you wont.
Lynwood
Old 07-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #167
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
And I thought CGI=Computer Generated Imagery
Do a Google search to see how remarkable this material is.
I read about CGI in an engine rebuild trade magazine 30 years ago. The trouble was you couldn’t use it in a production engine, couldn’t be machined, then.
Lynwood
Old 07-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #168
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tom,

Sounds like good news! Take your time and get the truck you want - there is always time for another trip.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #169
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Glad to hear they are doing the right thing. Nice to hear the dealer is helping also.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #170
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Day number 57 at the dealership not counting the Sunday that I dropped it off. Saw the new engine sitting on a huge covered crate when I picked up another loaner truck a few days back. My new one should be on the assembly line this week as far as I could tell by the info sent by one of the GM's. Delivery in the middle of September. Only major difference that I know of is I went with the 3.55 gears instead of the 4.10's. Supposed to be a couple of small new model year changes also like stereo etc.
I now have some more personal knowledge that I have gained by driving the two loaner trucks. My truck is 18 DRW verses 2016 1ton SRW and a 2017 3/4 ton SRW all 4X4 long boxes. They both had the 3.55 rearend gears mine had the 4.10s. Out of the two loaners the 17 seemed to have more low end grunt but the 16 handled the Fifthwheel better in windy conditions. Seeing that I have now drove all three TV's in under two months I will say they all did great especially in perfect conditions. Once the wind was blowing the 17 got very wigglely slowed down to around 60 mph probably due to the 9900 lb GVW. The 16 seemed to be a step above in adverse conditions but neither was close to the DRW for comfort of driving during more adverse road conditions. They all pulled good in my opinion but I am glad my 18 and 19 has wide hips.

Tom Marty
Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #171
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tom,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like Ford has done the right thing and is taking good care of you.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #172
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well it has been a long time coming but my new 2019 F-350 DRW replacement truck is in the driveway. Main reason it took so long in getting it was due to having to order an exact replacement but Ford did pony up and I got a straight across trade for my 2018 with no fees or costs to me other than a major inconvenience. Yes I was out of a vehicle for quite some time but my dealership did loan me vehicles to pull our Fifthwheel with for our scheduled camping trips. Long story is Ford did what was right and my dealership did what was right and I ended up with a new truck.

By the way I towed with a loaner 2015 SRW F-350 and a 2016 F-250 SRW. I can guarantee that they both pulled our Fifthwheel quite well but no where near as confidence inspiring as our F-350 DRW. In normal driving they did ok and had good power and decent handling. In more demanding conditions like mountain driveing and high wind they definitely were not as capable as the DRW. This is my opinion and I will stand behind it and say that a DRW is way more stable than the SRW trucks. I am not saying that you can not tow with the SRW trucks because you can. I am just saying that I am very happy to have my DRW truck back.

Tom Marty
Old 10-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #173
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Happy new truck.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #174
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Glad Ford and your dealer was looking out for you and I’m happy you like your new truck.
Lynwood
Old 10-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #175
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I hope this truck works well for you for many years.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote