Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Propane heat versus Electric Which is less epensiv

We are spending our first winter in an area where we need constant heat to maintain the internal temperature in the 5th wheel and are wondering how we can determine which is the least expensive way to heat the inside. We know the cost of electricity/kwh and we also know what the cost is to fill a 30 # propane tank. Is there a simple way to figure which heat is the most efficient way to spend our money.
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
http://suhresgas.com/propane_vs_electric.htm
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A lot of factors will enter into an answer for you. Price of propane and electricity are a major factor. We've found almost a $9.00 difference in price for a 30 tank of propane in the past four months. We have found that propane dealers tend to be the cheapest while campgrounds the highest. As for electricity, the cost depends on the campground. Those that charge are all over the map. I swear that some are trying to cover all of their overhead with their power charge. One campground we paid $58 for electricity over a one month stay. Another, the cost was almost $200 for the same length of time. If your campground does not charge separately,then it's a no brainer, use the electric. We have found that we can reduce the use of propane significantly by running the fireplace significantly. We have not been able to put dollars and cents to it because of the wide variability to the cost of propane and/or electricity.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks bigmurf, I'm not sure how efficient our gas furnace or water heater are, I've heard that they are about 60% but I'm not sure, the BTU's are available on line, but not sure how to convert wattage to BTU's. DonandBonnie, we also have an electric fireplace as well as an electric space heater, we pay for our electricity so we need to compare the cost of using propane vs paying for electricity, were leaning to electricity as power is only 7 cents a Kilwatt hour while a 30 # of propane is over $35.00.
Thanks
Michael
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
For us electric heat is cheaper BUT we have to use the propane furnace in cold weather to heat the underbelly so the pipes do not freeze
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Hi bigskyjimmy, we have been doing a bit of both, my wife can't sleep with the furnace noise so we have been using electric heat at night, when we go to the hospital during the day we use the propane furnace for the reason that you mentioned, but would use the propane less if we found electricity to be less expensive.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Most RV campgrounds we stay at are short term, therefore the price of the campground includes electricity. This means electric is the far better choice, but the shore power impacts that. For example, if I'm on 30 amp, I can probably run two 1000-1500 watt electric heaters and NOTHING else (so we only run one. But if 50 amp, then we can run two and hope we do proper current management.

It's a different calculation if we're being charged for electricity, but then there's the inconvenience and refill of propane to consider.

This was a great topic!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We use propane exclusively as the park we're in here in RGV of South Texas charges $.21 per kilowatt.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yea I hear ya Michael our old 2004 Big sky's heater was pretty loud but we had no choice on a cold night but to run it,our New Montana's heater is alot quieter so it is not a problem, Also prices of propane and electricity vary alot from state to state electricity is pretty cheap here in the NW
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If not metered, choice is simple. Problem in using propane in cold weather, with stock tanks, is that you can run through a tank in a ccuple of days, depending on how warm you like it.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You got that right! our first winter we were flying through the stock tanks, so we did like everybody else did at the resort and had a 120 gal tank put next to our rig and have a company come out and fill them every 2 weeks
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just to many variables.... for me, i just like the heat from electric, the furance just kicks on and off toooooo much.

anyway, since we're in mexico i can't image someone who is is a cold cold area in their trailer.

keep warm.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Mazboy We also are usually in Mexico in January but because of a family emergency we now are in British Columbia, not our idea of fun, but we are here. We are just trying to balance our costs, certainly not use to having to run heat this time of year. So we are just trying to cut costs as we don't know how long we are going to be here, so every dollar we save helps.
Michael
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
Is it possible to use the the fan only on the furnace to circulate the air in the RV, And use electric space heaters to warm it ?. Last winter i used my sprinter 29ft travel trailer and the temp was about 20 degrees and the furnace ran almost non stop. I havent had the chance to use the fiver in the cold yet.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Also you can use your ceiling fan just flip the switch so it turns the fan the oppisite direction so it draws the heat down and around, you will also notice on the newer 5th's they are insulated better and you heater should not turn on and off so much our new 5th holds heat alot better than our 2004
Old 03-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
When plugged in we often use one of the cube ceramic heaters in the L.R. at the 1,000W setting. We like the bedroom on the very cool side so we shut the door to the front area. Turn on the overhead fan and set the furnace for whatever temp. we want and after the initial warmup the furnace sometimes won't come on for hours.

In freezing weather for the overnight, and we were in some, I'll turn off the electric heater to get the furnace to heat below so we don't get a freeze up, setting the furnace to about 58o. It, the furnace, still runs a lot especially if the wind is up. I know skirting would help but we never stay long enough in one place to make it worthwhile.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't care. We are never anywhere were it is very cold. Have used the furnace in both our Montana's with no problems. We also use the fireplace some now that we have one. We use what we use. Our previous TT's were in winter storage before we
retired so we do not know much about real cold weather camping. Always thought it was a bad idea.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote