Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Road Trip

We're scheduled for another short "Road Trip" this weekend, June 18-20. Our destination is Lake Morena in eastern San Diego County, another San Diego County Park facility. The park is located in Campo California quite close to the San Diego Railway Museum---the "working " museum. We plan on taking the train ride from Campo to Tecate if we can get tickets. Will post a report aka "Chamber of Commerce" abstract early next week. here is the Park's URL:
http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/parks/...ke_morena.html

tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Have a fun trip, and stay safe.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hello tweir,
Wonder if the Chamber of Commerce would consider hiring you? You do seem to know about your homeplace in San Diego County. We look forward to reading your latest travel adventures.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Hey Thomas we are anxiously awaiting tour trip report?? Did you get to take the train ride??
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
In the original posting I provided the URL for Lake Morena. This gives you a pretty good oversight of the park and the number of spaces. What it does not tell you is the dynamic layout of the sites. It looked like to us, the sites were/are laid out in "pod" form---that is, three or four sites laid out adjoining a central common area with dimensions about 80' x 80'----full of California Oaks. The peripheral sites all had "common areas" behind them. There are only three pull-thru's in the park. However, the width of the roadways and radius of turns really makes them easy to back into. The sites as compared to many other parks we've visited, are about 1 1/2 times as wide---very, very wide. The area is very shady as in lots of trees. Although the lake is low because of no rain in the past several years, its still "boatable"---lots of folks out bass fishing. The only drawback is no sewer---water & electricity only. The've just finished two new restroom/shower facilities---really nice and clean. Dumpsters are well placed across the internal roadways from the campsites and in enclosures. Well thought out planning here...! Very quiet although the park was well over 80% full. "Town" is about 1/4 of a mile from the entrance---everything from fuel to foodstuffs are avaiable. I think they roll up the sidewalks about sunset, because we did not hear a single vehicle at night.

The side trip to Campo was great...about 7 miles from the park! The railroad museum is well worth the visit. Docents lead tours of the workshops and rolling stock dispalys. They were in the process of refurbishing several cars in the shops while we were there. The restored units are quite amazing: a completly restored US Mail Car complete with letters in the cubby-holes and sorting sacks hanging on the pegs---you would think at any moment, the train would leave---it was so "real". The other amazing car was the old Army Transportation Hospital Cook Car----I'm sure the Army had another acronym for it, but I think you get the idea. You could almost smell the Ham & Lima beans cooking----everything was restored: pot, pans, a real ICE box and empty cans in the pantry with the labels still on them. Simply amazing...! The last unit that caught my eye was the 1930-era "short-line" car that ran in Santa Monica I think. This thing looked like a Model A "station wagon" on train wheels----a place for the engineer and two rows of bench seats facing each other in the rear. And yes, it was powered by a Model A motor and the docent said they still run it on the "line" every once in a while---looked like it had an old UUUGAA horn on it; not a whistle---I know, because I restored a '29 Model A Tudor Sedan and drove it to work for a couple of years---yup, its an UUGAA horn...!

The ride to Tecate was not available last weekend. They were in the process of "spiffing up" the cars and locomotives for a big fundraiser event this weekend. They did run a short train from Campo to Division---the tunnel between the USA & Mexico----actually one end of the tunnel is in the USA and the other end is in Mexico. The Conductor said they had to radio the Border Patrol when they were a 1/2 mile away as the tunnel and surrounding area is loaded with sensors that detect---well, you know what I mean. So yes, we did get a train ride and it was well worth the time---so very interesting. Almost forgot to note: seeing how it was Father's Day weekend, each Father or Father-looking type person received a commemorative (I think I misspelled that word) coffee mug. When we got back to Lake Morena, the mug was immediately put in the "collection". If you folks get a chance, visit lake Morena. I give the park 4 stars---would get 5 except for the sewer thing. Now this reminds me, I have a very good friend with whom I worked with who is now a "big-wig" in the County offices---maybe I'll call him and "suggest" as a taxpayer who contributes to his paycheck, to put sewers at the sites....!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Great report Thomas. Sounds like something to add to our list of "to do" for our first trip to southern CA. Thanks so much for sharing all the information with us. These shared reports are one of the great things about this forum.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote