Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
slide cable housing broke

Yesterday I noticed, on the entertainment slide, a flat piece of plastice hanging from under the slide. This piece of plastice covers cables that move with the slide. It was still connected to the frame but had broken and came loose from the slide. Has any had to replace this and do you have any tips? ..
Thanks Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Steve a lot of us has had trouble with the cable carrier. I had the main slide and the entertainment slide both break - right at the bend on the outside. The common repair for this is to go to Lowes or Home Depot or your favorite hardware store and buy a couple of door hinges. I put mine together with some large flat washers but others have added a thin piece of wood to hold the bolt head. Seems to be a common fix by most on this forum. As a result of those before me who already had this problem, I was carrying a couple of hinges with me when my main slide broke. I checked the entertainment slide and it was cracked so I went to lowes got additional hardware and was quite proud of myself on the repair.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Has anyone posted pictures of this repair for those of us who are "handyman challenged"? Is this a problem that should be "fixed" prior to it causing a problem?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
It is a problem that will happen. More of a check every now and then. Maybe even have the part ready for repair. It takes about a half hour of easy time to fix. Ozz can do it in 5 minutes but he is the MAN.
I fixed the living room side but have not had to fix the kitchen side yet.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You could search on the keywords "Slide Wire Support" and find a previous discussion of this problem with accompanying pictures. Or click on this link to go to the same place (assuming it works and isn't too long).

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13147&SearchTerms=,Thought,I''d,s hare

This is a very common and easy to repair "feature" on Montanas. Interestingly, the West Coast Montana guru Charles Wade told us in Tucson they had changed the plastic support (in response to the numerous problems posted here) to correct the problem. So far it seems to not have made a difference.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers, I've fixed two with the "door hinge trick". Just noticed the kitchen the other day is cracked. Should have looked for a 3-hinge pack at Home Depot and just fixed them all.

Just be sure to get something for outdoor that won't rust.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I did two of mine with bolts, lockwashers and nuts. I used 4 inch galvanized exterior door hinges and then painted them with rustproof Krylon. No problems since...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks everyone, while looking at the archives(thanks Carl & Susan)I found Ken's pictures to be worth a thousand words. Also brought up two more tana issues / anti siphon valve and shear pins? Need to do a little more digging into those two. Thanks again...Steve
Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The anti-siphon valve is easy. Lowes and Home Depot both carry them. Look in plumbing. They may be called pressure release valves. In any case, they are a brass fitting that screws on the water source and has a set screw to hold it in place. It is about 1-1/4" long.

I use it on the tank wash and the water jet on my Sewer Solution to prevent any back flow into the CG water system.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
gotcha Stiles,
I use a diferent hose for washing blackwater tank, wouldn't it be better to place a backflow preventer at the fresh water source @ the outside connection in case the inside device fails? Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Steve, I have searched for "shear pins" and did not bring up any old topics. Did you find anything? Does anyone know where the shear pins are used?
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Buddy, It was used in the archive above and was part of a reply posted by Rich & Helen aka richaa. I'll pm him to see what his reference was too, maybe that is what the locking pin on our hitch is called. Mty only experiance has been with props on boats. Off topic a little, know a good campground that has storage in Chattanooga? Son and Daughter in law going to give us a new Grandbaby Dec 3rd. and need a place to park the Tana for a few sleepless months...Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steve, Not sure these are the sheer pins you are looking for, but there are two listed on the Maintenance Checklist on the home page. There is one on each side of the landing pad bar that goes across the front compartment, Check these carefully as they are different size and use different type locking nuts. The other ones are o the slide out bar up underneath the slide. If there are others I'm not aware of them.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

Steve, Not sure these are the sheer pins you are looking for, but there are two listed on the Maintenance Checklist on the home page. There is one on each side of the landing pad bar that goes across the front compartment, Check these carefully as they are different size and use different type locking nuts. The other ones are o the slide out bar up underneath the slide. If there are others I'm not aware of them.
Bob
Those are the ones! It is not a question of "if" you will need them, it is "when" you need them. If the maintenance checklist doesn't have the dimensions, let us know. I know the specifics are around here somewhere. It is important the one bolt and nut for the motor side of the landing gear be exactly the same as the original. The others are not as critical.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
The Landing Pad uses 1" x 1/4" and a castle locking nut (regular locking nut is too tall), the other side needs at least a 1 1/4" x 1/4" and any locking nut is OK. I forget exactly what the correct terminology is for the bolt, but they are black and have a hex fitting inside the head.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm off to the home page and maintence checklist ... Steve
Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are shear pins on each side of that square shaft up against the frame on all the slides. If they shear the slides will not come in or will come in or out..uneven.. I do not remember the size nut and bolt. I am sure someone will. They can be purchased at any hardware store.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote