Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Opening the Monty for the summer

The weather is finally nice enough to open the Monty! Yeah for warm weather!

Looks like at least one mouse made it in, but not much to clean up. More trouble with the Asian lady beetles. Several piles at the end of the slides.

We had received a notice regarding the fridge problem, but ours was not on the list.

Looks like one leak through the shower skylight. We had a lot of rain on Friday, and there was water in the shower pan on Saturday, with a light brown spot on the corner of the skylight. That will be a job to remove! DH tried to convince me that we should just wait until it rains again and check to see if the water comes back. He also tried to convince me that the water was probably there since fall. I had to help him understand how fast water evaporates!! Also discovered that the lav vent has a broken corner. Too many trees in the yard!

I made reservations at 2 WI state parks for later this summer. It is hard to believe that I need to make reservations even earlier next year! Spots were hard to find.

Can't wait to get out for a weekend, we're hoping our son in Madison will the cooperate and let us visit over Memorial weekend. We really like the Dane Cty park at Lake Mendota. I guess we could go to Madison even if he and the D-I-L go to visit her sister in Chicago!

Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Hello Judi,

Even though your unit is in storage for the winter it's important, as you've found out, to go into it every so often and check for leaks, incursions--pesky things--and give it a good once over for loose screws and other items that need repair. It's also critical that in the deep winter that you brush snow off the roof once in a while--prevents roof failure and leaks. The guys don't like to do this chore but it's recommended for all camper trailers to maintain roof seals, especially if your unit is stored out of doors in winter weather.

Before storing for the winter, be sure to double check your roof seals, especially around any vents through the roof and down the side seams for openings or splits in the caulking. Repairs made in the late fall will prevent wet and moldy spring problems.

FYI-half the preventative maintenance that is done to our Monty is done at my instigation. You have a vested interest in the health of your house on wheels!
YGG!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote