Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Murphy's Law?

Last Saturday afternoon, my DW suggested we take a trip to the mountains and boon-dock for a couple of days. Since we haven't had a chance to take the Montana anywhere this summer, and it has been about three years since we went boon-docking, I agreed.

Went out to the trailer to make sure everything works as it's supposed to. Filled the fresh water tank a couple of weeks ago, good. Turned pump on and went to the kitchen sink, cold water runs hot water doesn't. Went to bathroom sink, cold runs hot doesn't. Back to kitchen, now no cold or hot. Remembered reading about this problem on the MOC, searched and found the thread by Ozz, bad check valve on water heater. Removed check valve and found it to be broken and plugged with the plastic Ozz had mentioned. Took the guts and the debris from the valve and put it back in-line to make sure water flows. Went to kitchen, no hot or cold. Went to bathroom, everything works. Back to kitchen and removed aerator from faucet, plugged with plastic and other debris. Cleaned and replaced, works great, but that pump sure is noisy.

Opened the pump/furnace/converter compartment and found a terrific tangle of wires and water lines. Re-routed everything in an orderly manner while getting a great sun burn on my legs and feet, which were hanging out of the basement while I worked.

Monday, bought new check valve for water heater, new rubber washers for water lines disconnected from pump and check valve, new sewer line cap, and two couplers to by-pass the clothes washer lines. Went to install new check valve, got the wrong one. Old one is male on both sides, new one is male/female. No problem. Installed new valve in tank, screwed old valve with guts removed into new valve, and attached the water line. Re-attached lines to pump with new washers, zip tied everything in place, wrapped foam rubber around lines that were touching anything and zip tied in place. Went to the bathroom sink and removed everything in the cabinet to by-pass the washer lines. I got the wrong size couplers, it'll have to wait. Turned pump on, everything works great, and that pump is much quieter. Feet and legs still tender.

Wednesday, gave myself the afternoon off and went home to wash the trailer. The tire store was slow, and the weather was nice, so I figured it would be a good time. Got the hose rolled out with a new spray nozzle, filled bucket with water and went in the house for some Dawn dish soap. Apple scent? What's up with this? Have to use it, there is nothing else and it's 10 miles to the store. OK, got everything ready to go to work, oops need to roll the awning out so it too can be washed. Awning out, me and the equipment on the roof, wind starts blowing. I look up and see a huge thunderhead off to the south creating an up draft causing the wind. Rolled awning back in and then back on roof to start washing. The wind gets worse, I keep washing with my toenails dug into the rubber roof to keep from sliding off. Whew, got done and on the ground again in one piece. Started on the rear cap, but keep getting soap blown in my face, I give up. Went to town and got some refreshments. When I got back the wind had died down some, but I decided to give it a little more time while I had a couple of refreshments and checked the batteries. Started washing again, all is good. Wait, what's going on? Silage choppers, and trucks here to cut the corn on the east side of my house. The trucks running up and down the dirt road in front of my house are now fogging me with dust every time the come by. Keep washing, don't complain, have another refreshment while rinsing the dirt from the fresh washed surfaces. Finally finished at 8:30 PM, and still have some refreshments left for tomorrows project, what ever it may be.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Lonnie, as the saying goes: A bad day camping (or getting ready) is better than the best day at work. We're lucky, we're on a dead-end dirt road with only a couple of neighbors, so generally not too dusty. Hope you trip goes better.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow! You got a work-out. Preparing to have fun is a lot of work! You are doing a good job, so when you are out enjoying yourself, the work and repairs are behind you.
I wanted to forgo any water heater problems, so I flushed the tank real good, replaced the working element with a new one, also the safety T.&P. valve, glad I did, cheap parts and good for my peace of mind. Have fun, you work hard, and deserve it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
We live on a dirt road too and have neighbors that drive down the road like the devil is on their tail. I end up spraying the road with water to keep the dirt down while I am washing the truck and trailer!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Lonnie, I thing by the time the silage choppers came I would have just set myself down and had another beverage
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Lonnie,
All I can say is "WOW"
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good job-job-job
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Lonnie,
You got to watch out for old Murphy.... He'll get you every chance he gets! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Sounds pretty normal for getting ready to go. Just keep the refreshments handy - they may not help with the issue but it helps me.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
A friend of mine used to say, "If you're born to be hung, you'll never be shot."
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Lonnie, I think you're my kind of guy- Especially the part about the liquid refreshments- Just try to keep he shiny side up and all will be well- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Being "hung" is definitely better than being shot! I mean there are worse ways to go! Dennis
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Lonnie anyone that can still put on a happy face after all that all I can say is "You are my horse if you don't ever win a race". LOL. been there done that!!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
It gets better.

Last night I emptied out the basement to re-organize it. My wife comes out of the house and looks around at the stuff I removed and asks "Did you use that flavored water in the batteries?". "What flavored water?" I ask. "There were two bottles of flavored water in there with the other bottles of water" she explained. She goes over to the trash container and comes back with a couple of empty bottles, sure enough, right there on the label for all to see, Cherry Flavored. The stuff was as clear as the clearest water I have ever seen, no coloring at all. I guess I should have read the labels, but I didn't even know we had flavored water anywhere on the place. Oh well, it'll either ruin the batteries or it won't, it doesn't matter right now. We are going camping, even if I have to run the generator.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Lonnie,
You will have the "sweetest" batteries in your camp! Your batteries and personality will now match perfectly..... SWEET! The worst day camping is still better than the best day working...... or some such nonsense! Enjoy, Dennis.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Lonnie, remember O'Rileys law: Murphy was an optimist!!
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Thats funny.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Hooked up, loaded, ready to go, just waiting for Vanessa to get home. Somehow, through all of this I wound up with a dose of the Green Apple Two Step. Doesn't matter, I'm going anyway. After all, I will have the bathroom with me.