Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Sewer Vent Cover Replacement

I started to post this on the “A clean roof and front cap” thread but I didn’t want to hi-jack the thread. I had mentioned in that thread about the vents being very brittle. These are the vents that cover the sewer vents on the roof. Well last year when I first cleaned the roof, I chipped part of the cover on the edge. I noticed then just how brittle they were. As procrastination would have its way, I'm just now getting around to fixing them. I'm posting this just so every one else can see just how brittle these things can be. You might want to check your covers the next time your on the roof. As I tried to place the new top onto the base the base broke apart. That is when I had to go and get some new ones. I liked how the white one fit; it had a bracket that held it better so I used that on for the top half. This is the reason for the mixed colors in the vent cover.

I cleaned the old putty off and removed the old base plate then put the new one down with some putty tape. I then placed the base on the putty tape and secured it to the roof.

The next step was to seal around the top of where the screws are located. I used a tube of lap sealant. Both of the type of sealers came from the RV store. I just made sure they were for sealing and bonding to a rubber roof.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bill, We have not had those go brittle, YET

But, we did have the square vent covers (the ones in the bathroom, and other areas of our rigs) do the same thing.

Al took the Max Air covers off this winter to clean the dust and dirt and bug carcasses out of the vents and touched one. Barely touched it. It did the crumble thing.

We thought the Max Air covers would protect the vent covers from the sun damage. We thought wrong.

He went to CW and got 3 new covers, went back up there, took the Max Airs off again and replaced the brittle vent covers.

Something that needs checking that is for sure, nice photos, thanks for a good post.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That looks great Bill, I hope I have a couple more years before I have to do anything like that, but thanks to your pictures, I now have the knowledge to tackle it if need be. Ditto Carol on the thanks for the good post. Besides, I am too sore to climb on the roof again, that is why I was on the ground today doing more work on the electrical protection system. Hope to get it finished tomorrow. It is wierd having evenings free since I am on summer break other than one two week summer class. One more semester to go!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Thanks for the good info Bill. Are there any secrets on removing the old sealant without damaging the rubber roof membrane?
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Hanson

Thanks for the good info Bill. Are there any secrets on removing the old sealant without damaging the rubber roof membrane?
Yes, I would suggest using a plastic putty knife that does not have very sharp edges on it. You still need to be very careful not to push on the rubber roof very hard. Of course you get to a point where you have to remove the screws before continuing. These screws also take a square tip bit to get them them.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
You can also replace the plastic vents with a replacement made from metal. They arrive unpainted, but once painted you will never have to replace them again due to sun rot. I found mine at www.rvpartscenter.com. Item # is 24724.
Cheers!
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote