Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2003, 06:12 AM   #1
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Greenbrier Mountainaire CG Near Lewisburg, WV

Got a thrill going to Greenbrier Mountainaire CG near Lewisburg, WV this past weekend.

When I'd made the reservations the CG owner told me not to worry about the tunnel on the way into the campground as she'd seen many big rigs pass under it. Well, after driving 223 miles and turning onto the road leading back to the campground I saw a sign that said "9 1/2' Clearance. Boy did that sign get my attention!!!!

Told my wife what I'd been told so we proceeded ahead causiously. As we got closer we saw that it was a one lane road through the tunnel and a stream occupied what would have been the other lane. And the road was separated from the stream by a heavy guard rail. The tunnel was marked 9 1/2' on the edge and 13' in the middle.

At this point I was starting to hold traffic up on both sides of the tunnel. Desided to trust the measurements but had Milly get out and direct me to keep me as close as possible to the guard rail that was in the middle of the tunnel on the passenger side. Well, WE MADE IT through without a scratch but it sure was a test of the ole' nerves!!!

Campground was pretty and right next to the Greenbrier State Forest. On the negative (other than the tunnel) was the fact that there were no sewer hookups or 30 amp service. And the water was heavy with iron rust and taste.

Despite all that I would stay there again as it is close to the WV State Fairgounds. But I just had to share my "tunnel experience" with you.

Craig

'01 Chevy K3500 Dually 8.1 Allison 4x4 4:10 CC
Towing a '02 Montana 3655FL 5th Wheel
Manassas, Virginia USA
http://users.erols.com/jcmccarter/index.html

DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote