Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #21
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
When we are home I have a small table with castors that is the same height as the tailgate so I just slide it onto the table and back into the truck. When we are in Az I keep the hitch chained to the front legs of the trailer. I just ask my wife to take it out.

Actually she helps me set it on the ground. It is not real heavy but is awkward for one person.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #22
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Mine comes out when not in use for a long period of time.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #23
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We are new to the 5th wheel scene but so far we have decided take it out when we arrive home. I also purchased a lock to lock it into the base rail when it is installed so it doesn't "walk away".

Nice job on the dolly Art

Jack
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #24
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

I have a small table with castors that is the same height as the tailgate so I just slide it onto the table and back into the truck.
This is what I do also. I found a good metal table that works well (less than $100). I have the Superglide which I have no trouble taking apart - the heaviest piece may be 50-60 lbs and I only have to lift it a small amount (6-8").
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have an RBW hitch and it is easy to remove in two pieces. Mine however slides out from the back and then can be lifted to the ground. Mine comes out once or twice during the summer months and gets stored with the camper during the winter months.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Never. I drilled out all the pin holes and installed small locks on all the removable pins for safety.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 AM   #27
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Reese Signature 18k slider with under bed mounts. Turn four levers and it pops out no problem but it is on the heavy side so I get help or use a floor crane at work. I like the dolly you made and think I will make one up. Thanks for the picture.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #28
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
Well, we use the truck for alot of stuff in our life. When the 5-er parks in the driveway the hitch comes out of the bed.

When the 5-er got winterized, the hitch got slightly more disassembled and stored under the landing gear on wood frame.

What hitch do I have? Putam "Firehawk II" 23K
(minor history on it... bought it online from Putam when I worked with Horizon cost. (shipped was just over $600 IIRC)

here's a link to see what it looks like and an exploded view next to it too: (about half way down page)
http://www.putnamhitch.com/products_fifthwheels.html

electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #29
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
First winter ours stayed in, Second year while helping daughter move ours came out. It is a Husky 16K and comes out in two pieces. Putting it back in was a bit of a hassle since the tabs on the the legs didn't want to line up in the rail holes easily and really took some ummph and leveage, so it will stay in unless required to be removed by a need. For those that do take yours out, I will pass on something I learned from John Kohl, you should disassemble the head and lube anually. Makes a big difference in the ride and ours was never lubed so it had started to rust internally.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #30
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Our hitch comes out in the winter to be stored in the Monty's belly bay. During spring/summer/fall, it gets removed from the TV a few times so we can move large objects. It's a static Pull-Rite that comes apart easily (now). After the dealer installed it and I struggled with it a couple of times, I disassembled and reassembled it, paying careful attention to making everything centered, aligned, square and true, tightening nothing until everything fit properly (as my dad taught me). It made a big difference, especially because the removable posts have very tight tolerance in the crossbars above the bed and were previously a bear to line up. Now, it's pretty easy. I lay the pieces on the garage floor while using the TV for other things. I usually need a hand lifting the A-frame up and down from the bed.
After reading a couple of posts here, I'm going to replace a couple of the insertable pins with locks of some sort to prevent easy removal.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Out after every trip as our truck is used in our business. We have the track rack system for ladder racks and tool boxes that are put back on when we are not vacationing...
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

Reese Signature 18k slider with under bed mounts. Turn four levers and it pops out no problem but it is on the heavy side so I get help or use a floor crane at work. I like the dolly you made and think I will make one up. Thanks for the picture.
I too have a Signature Hitch, and love it. I take mine out probably 1/2 a dozen times a year and set it on my safe moving dolly.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote