Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
mice

have a problem with mice in my stored 3400 can anyone tell me what to do to prevent this Thanks Dave

mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
You are going to get all kinds of responses on this. Moth balls (I don't know what they do with the rest of the moth), peppermint oil, clothing softener sheets, Freecab, cat urine and other assorted remedies. What has worked for me is plugging every tiny little hole I could find with spray foam and putting Decon in the open spaces, such as on top of the plastic liner underneath and in the heater vents. It is hard to prove a negative, but this has worked for me. It has also kept zombies and saber tooth tigers away.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Camphor blocks used only when rv is stored for the winter. Be very careful to keep children away from any exposure and we always remove and air out the rv in spring before use. Sure works here on the farm though on any equipment we store in the shed as well.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Another vote for Mothballs spread around the OUTSIDE and Under the 5er do not put them inside your rig or it will smell like Grandma's house
Old 12-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Another vote for Mothballs spread around the OUTSIDE and Under the 5er do not put them inside your rig or it will smell like Grandma's house
We have had good results with moth balls inside the coach. It kind of takes me back to Grandma's house. In the fall we camp in the woods. Red squirrels, chipmunks and mice are abundant. I have found where they will get in the outside compartments and stash their booty. Have not found any evidence of them in the living quarters. D-Con will NEVER, EVER be used in or around my trailer or home. It cost us our dear Maxwell last year. I would not want that to happen to any other pet.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
We use a device called rid-a-rat. We have problems with pack rats. Rid-a-rat is a small strob light device that you can attach to metal.
We have 2 of the. Attach one underneath by the dump valves, the other on the. Rear axle. Seems to work for us.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we full time we use a white rope light around the entire rig on a timer and two commercial poison baits (bought at a farm supply store) that are hard plastic and have holes only the mice and rats can get into between each tire so pets are safe.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We use "Fresh Cab" and it can be bought at TSC, Menards and even Wally World. It is an herbal deterrent and works for us. It comes in a four pack and one thing you have to remember is to take them out of the bag they come in. Had some people just throw them in their units without taking them out of the bags and they will not work because they can't release the herbal scent to deter the mice! We did scatter mothballs around the wheels and front landing gear when we had the other Monte and stored it outside but use the "Fresh Cab" now and also put a couple of sticky traps in the basement just incase they want to come in. I put a small dab of peanut butter in the middle of the sticky trap to attract them IF they do come in. Have not had any takers on the traps so far so I guess the "Fresh Cab" is working pretty well!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Thanks for all your advice
mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Tnanks for all the help got the dirty rats