Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wet Bolt Upgade (Word Of Caution)

Our Monty has approximately 5000 miles so we decided to install the Wet Bolt Upgrade Kit. Completed this change over Friday afternoon. Relatively easy job with two people and three good hydraulic jacks.
One thing I noticed when installing the first grease type bolt that as the bolt was inserted the tiny hole picked up some bronze frome the bushing and plugged it off enough that the grease would not enter the bushing area. (we verified all zerks and bolts to accept grease prior to installation). What I did was chamfer all the tiny holes on the bolt to ensure that no bronze was picked up from the bushing by the sharp machined surfaces of the rease hole on the bolt.
A good 3/16 drill bit does the job to recess a wider mouth to disperse the grease out of the hole. After installation all zerks accepted grease with no effort and grease extrudes out on both sides of bushed area. To concude: If you have problems where grease will not enter the bushing this is likely the cause, you may have to pull the bolt and chamfer that tiny little hole on the bolt for it to work properly. Another great option that should be standard on any RV when manufactured. Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Great info. This job is on my To-Do list one of these days. Thanks.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Thanks for this information because I have encountered the situation you describe. I am trying to understand exactly what you did. You say you "knurled" the holes. Maybe we have a bit of a language barrier, but to me, knurling is a roughened surface applied to a metal object to provide a gripping surface. Later you refer to using a 3/16 drill bit. I am thinking that what you did was to drill out, or counter-sink the grease passage hole.

Would you mind elaborating a little bit as exactly what you did? I would not want to do the wrong thing in this situration.

(I did not install my own wet bolts, so I don't know exactly what they are like inside, or how they were installed).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, I am sorry, and it should have been edited by me as I did use the wrong word. To describe it better the small hole that comes out perpendicular to the bolt shaft must be chamfered to ensure that the sharp edge of the origianl hole does not pick up the softer material of the bushing when being installed and when in service. Easiest way to do this is use a larger drill bit than the hole to cut that edge. I used a 3/16 drill to remove that edge and leave a bevel in its place. Hope this is better and more descriptive. Thanks Ellis
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Thanks, I suspected that was what you meant, but I wanted to make sure I was understanding the process properly. I'll give it try one of these days, soon I hope!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
When I replaced my bolts with new wet bolts and rubber springs this past week I had the problem you describe with the bolts in the spring eyes not accepting grease. All I did was raise and lower the jack holding the axle up and the bolts accepted grease. I think in my case there could have been pressure causing the grease being blocked in only the rear spring eye and the front spring eye, not the eye where the shackle links connect.

When I put a few miles on the Monty I will shoot grease to the bolts again and see if there is a problem with the spring eyes accepting grease. If I do have a problem I am going to pull the bolts and drill them as you suggest.

Thanks for the info.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good fix!! Wish I had thought of it. Great job!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
When i replaced my shackles with the Ez-Flex upgrade i noticed in the fine print that it is important to ensure that the little grease holes are positioned horizontally and NOT vertically. I guess this avoids having any pressure from the bushings keeping the grease from flowing.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I installed my wet bolts with the grease holes at 9:00 & 3:00 o'clock in the end spring eyes. The bolts with the shackle link ends came with one shackle link already pressed on and the grease holes were already lined up horizontally. My wet bolt kit came from Dexter. The rubber springs came from MorRyde. BTW the factory bushings were nylon not bronze. The nylon bushings held up very well for about 13,000 miles and maybe would have lased for another 13,000 miles. Most of my wear was on the shackle brackets attached to the rubber springs that had no bushings. The new kit from MorRyde had bronze bushings in a housing welded to the the shackle brackets. Good point on lining up the grease holes horizontally.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
OK so I am a bit confused my Monty has the MorRyde setup. The kits ya'll are talking about is for the shackes I assume and just where does one get smart enough to know what to order and where to order them from or even if I need them Heck guys I am old and my feet hurt give me a hand LOL
Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
embraceatrend
Established Member

M.O.C. #6316
I wonder if you can describe the condition of your old set of bolts and shackles, we have about 5000 miles on our coach and we have the wet bolts and shackles sitting in a box in the garage. I have taken off most of the nuts on the existing shackles, and they all seem to be round and not oblong, so we thought we might re and re them next year. Your post on the u-bolts was very well received and probably prevented one of us from getting in a jackpot. Thanks, Larry.
embraceatrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Out of the 8 plastic bushings one had wore through to metal. The bolts on the double link were starting to chew in the area where the link moves against each end of the bolt. All holes were okay and showed no wear. Probably would have gone another 5000 miles but I did not want the risk of misalignment on axles and wheels; then could accelerate wear on the tires. To me, money well spent!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Great info. I had/have that problem. Now to fix it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
I searched the previous threads and found all sorts of great information on wet bolts except the part number for the kit I require. I have a 2009 3585 with the MorRyde suspension. I checked their site and it wasn't any help. I checked the Dexter parts list and it had parts with equalizers included which I don't need. Can anyone help or do I need to contact MorRyde?
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
RCN.Stoker,
If you have the MorRyde system with the Rubber Spring Equalizer like I do, you will need to order TWO of these kits from Dexter: Wet Bolt Kit

If you want to replace the Z brackets that attach to the rubber springs you can call MorRyde and order FOUR LRE43-001 Wet Bolt Shackle Assemblies. These are an upgraded Z bracket (one piece) with bronze bushings already pressed in. The factory Z brackets I had did not have bushings. The phone for MorRyde contact is: 574 293-1581 ext. 222
If you call MorRyde for the Z brackets ask about their Wet Bolt Kits. I think they are the same price as Dexter.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #16
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Thanks M8.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I just had the Dexter Equa-flex upgrade installed on our 2000 Monty- The old suspension was a wet system, but didn't take grease very well- The plastic sleeves showed considerable wear but the shackles were ok- I'm glad we have the Equa-flex as the Monty rides much better than before- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote