Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
3820FK Improvements

Finally had some time to do a bit more to my fiver. Since I'm often times guilty of "over analysis paralysis", I did a bunch of reading and research before making some of these seemingly minor mods. (Thanks everyone for your ideas that I read and learned from!) Already completed were:

1. Swapping king "trailer" mattress for queen "house" mattress and cutting the plywood support down to the correct size for the smaller mattress. We can now access the cabinets beside the bed where the washer/dryer could go someday.
2. Replacing factory receiver on the back with one bolted on from Etrailer. The new one adds frame rigidity where the factory one was welded to the bottom of the trailer's I-beams.
3. Removed the 2 air vent covers in the living room to greatly increase air flow into the living room. MUCH better at handling Florida heat and humidity now.
4. Added TST507 giving me peace of mind while towing!

Before heading off to camp for the 4th, I did 2 more (pics below, sorry about them all being sideways):
5. Pulled the vents off in the kitchen and inserted a short piece of pool noodle just after the vent to stop air from flowing down to the nose of the trailer where there are no more vents. (blue inside vent) I then put the factory vents back up. Wife noticed the difference without me telling her I did that one. (Was going to do in the back as well, but realized that the rear AC is on the wrong side of the bedroom vents to use the pool noodle trick.) Still need to add some PVC pipe to air returns and will upgrade remaining vents to high flow ones at some point.

6. Removed struts from convenience center door and added magnets. I was so tired of always having to bend over to do anything here. Should have done this one much sooner and the magnets are extremely strong. Was concerned about leaking and possibly pulling off, so I screwed and glued them onto the door and body. (pic of adhesive in case you're curious)

Best part about the most recent mods is total cost was less than $20 with lots of improvement. Next mod on the list is the 5th Airborne king pin that will be delivered in about a week!! Sadly, that mod was a bit more than $20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noodle in Vent.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	4123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Convenience Door 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	4124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Convenience Door 2.jpg
Views:	97