Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
Air bags or new pin box?

Wanna make a upgrade and help make my ride smoother while towing. There are times on roads where my teeth feel like they are gonna rattle loose. I have a 2016 f350 srw pulling a 2017 HC 352rl. Wondering if a air pin box or air bags would be better? I’m sure both be best but Only can do one this year. Thanks!

Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would get the pinbox. The air pinbox takes the jolt out of the frame of your camper. These frames are built to minimal standards and need all the help they can get.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you don't have the Moryde pin box that's on the my Montana, get the pinbox.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Last year we did a coast to coast drive. By the time we got to NY (from Cali), our backs were really hurting because of all the bucking. Did a bunch of research, and settled on a Reese Airborne pin box. Has it shipped to the Campground and with the help,of my nephew, installed it. HUGE DIFFERENCE! Bucking and chucking gone. Made it back home without any back issues. Best upgrade that I've done. Of course one thing leads to another. Had to purchase small 110 volt air compressor since finding gas station with 100psi compressor is hard, especially when towing. Compressor also good purchase since I can make sure all tires are properly inflated prior to breaking camp.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Part of the problem may be that your truck is a SRW. Hopefully you've scaled it out to get your true pin weight then compare it to your door sticker to see if you're not overloaded. That's part of the reason I upgraded to a 3500 dually. Night and day difference with plenty of capacity to spare. As for the MorRyde rubber pin box, I swapped my stock one out a couple weeks ago to the MorRyde rubber pin box. Made an already good ride even smoother.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Maybe your Ford is mad at you for using Duramax as a forum name.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I have air bags on the pin box and under the truck and interstates in KY, IN, IL and WI still busted shocks and broke welds on my toolbox. On well out together interstates, they really work well and give us a great ride.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote