Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Extended Service Plan Purchase

On our previous rig, we had an extended service plan. and we decided that we would go with another one on the new rig. The primary factors were that the high-dollar items would be covered for five or six years after the manufacturers warranties expired. Although there have been many discussions in the past as to whether these plans are a good purchase or not, we prefer to have the peace of mind that that we have coverage for items such as the Onan generator, the 40" LCD which seems to have had problems already on the forum, and the double door Norcold refrigerator which also seems to have a lot of problems on the forum, and the two air conditioners. The surprising part to us is the cost of these plans seem to have escalated rapidly over the last five years. The plan for the 3400 was $1400 with no deductible and the plan for the 3750 skyrocketed to $2000 with a $50 deductible. Now granted, there well may be other plans at a better price (I was quoted several), but in the end we decided to go with the one that our dealer sells, for the simple reason that it was the one that the dealer sells. The dealer handles all claim contacts and has used the company for years, so at least we have some semblance of faith that they will back what they sell. Regardless, we were a little taken back by the price, although it was a "platimum" high tech plan that covers pretty much everything in the rig. If you have such a plan at a better price, you can now feel good about the fact that you got a better deal!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You have to be comfortable with your choice. Why even be concerned what we may or may not think.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Stiles. I know everything I purchase cost more than it did last year.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Bingo, although I bought ours used, you can be rest assured that it is probably a pretty good price. I also looked at getting an extended warrantee with them and at a glance it was something in the teens for up to three years. Seems to me your price was probably better than what they showed me. Again, we only glanced at it but I might talk with them again if they are still willing to sell us one.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the RV shield plan and have used it for high $$$ repairs several times. Ours cost 1100 $$ 5 years ago so a increase like you see can be expected.
If you were satisfied last time then it should be a good choice now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The primary reason I posted was to let the members know what could be the expected pricing for a plan if they consider to go the same route. After all, the primary purpose for the forum as far as I am concerned is still the sharing of information amongst the members. I provided the price point for a comparison to hopefully assist in their decision making. Informed decisions logically are based on being informed. Because I elected to go the "dealer" route, I just want the MOC (particularly new members) to know that there is a price differential related to the plans. I researched my options for about six months before making my decision. The coverage can also be different as I again observed during the process of getting prices for the myriad of products that are out there. As I always say, do your homework, and make a choice that will meet your needs. These plans are not for everyone, but I do feel that with the advanced electronics and technically advanced items in today's rigs, that they do provide options that many may find to be of benefit. To each his own. With regards to being concerned with what the MOC thinks or does not think, I am concerned, I always consult knowledgeable members to help with my decisions, and I will continue to do so, while at the same time continue to provide information in the hope that someone will find it beneficial in their decision making process.
Bingo
Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have owned extended warranties on all of our RVs. It has been well worth it to us. What I have experienced is that the extended warranties are cheaper if you purchase at the time you purchase the RV. I have been quoted $1,600 at the time of sale and $2,000 if I wait until later. Just my experience.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well said Bingo. I sure like the opinion of those who have gone before me. It's sure saved me from some mistakes in my life.

I suppose we payed to much, but we gave almost $2000 back in 06 for our $50 deductible plan thru our dealer. However, we have recovered almost all of it, and still have a few years of coverage left. With the high cost of these things, and the per hour labor charge now days, I'd do the same thing again.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We negotiated the extended service plan at the time of purchase and went with the $200 deductible as I was interested in protection for the big ticket items, if our the plan is not used for any claim we obtain a percentage back which is better than a kick in the pants. Our 32' TV crapped out in Feb of this year (built in 08) and we just went to Costco the same day and bought a new for $330. If it was the fridge, and/or any other mechaical part that was ultra expensive then we would make a claim for a serviceman to come in and change it out. This has worked well for us in the past with RVs.
Kinda of sad to see number of claims made because of poor materials and workmanship in an RV, this includes the high dollar Class As. We as customers continue to accept this; not like the automotive industry where there are numerous safety standards and hurdles that must be attained before that vehicle is released for the road.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The primary reason I posted was to let the members know what could be the expected pricing for a plan if they consider to go the same route. After all, the primary purpose for the forum as far as I am concerned is still the sharing of information amongst the members. I provided the price point for a comparison to hopefully assist in their decision making. Informed decisions logically are based on being informed. Because I elected to go the "dealer" route, I just want the MOC (particularly new members) to know that there is a price differential related to the plans. I researched my options for about six months before making my decision. The coverage can also be different as I again observed during the process of getting prices for the myriad of products that are out there. As I always say, do your homework, and make a choice that will meet your needs. These plans are not for everyone, but I do feel that with the advanced electronics and technically advanced items in today's rigs, that they do provide options that many may find to be of benefit. To each his own. With regards to being concerned with what the MOC thinks or does not think, I am concerned, I always consult knowledgeable members to help with my decisions, and I will continue to do so, while at the same time continue to provide information in the hope that someone will find it beneficial in their decision making process.
Bingo
And I for one thank you for your information Bingo. Its this type of information that helps people make informed decisions on there purchase. Not all of us are as experienced at this as some and we do appreciate it.

Your cost equal about the same as mine on a 7 yr. policy a year ago. Again, just more info!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The same service with the same provider is not always priced the same. Example: the Ford ESP plan can be bought from your selling dealer at a significantly higher price that you pay for the exact same plan from an online source. What that means is that if you discover the carrier your dealer uses, you may be able to shop the exact plan by the same carrier from another source. For the Ford ESP plan, that is several hundred dollars. Additionally, you might take your online price to your dealer and negotiate a better price than his initial offer.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We bought ours from the dealer in Alaska in '06. It was $2,000 for 7 years with a $200 deductible. Probably higher than most, but we were complete newbies at the time and didn't really have anyone to consult, such as the kind folks on this forum. We have only used it once,(knock on wood), for replacement of the black tank. The dealer here took care of everything with the insurer and all I paid was my deductible, sweet. As the saying goes, "They are what they are"!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Is the Continued Service Plan from Good Sam/Camping World worth buying...? I've been reading about that one.
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cost is not the issue.What it covers is..get a copy and read it carefully.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Like Rich indicates, it isn't the buying end that's important. It's the using end. If you aren't buying a policy from the same provider that you dealer uses, check with the service manager on his experience with the provider you choose. If you can't get direct pay and have to pay yourself and then fight with the carrier for reimbursement, for my part, that is a bad policy no matter what the cost.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Stiles and Rich are correct, if you are looking at an extended service plan, the details are what is important, particularly Stiles comment about whether or not your primary dealer has dealt successfully with the provider. The primary reason I went through the dealer is that I inquired who is responsible for contacting the service plan provider and in our case it was the dealer. One less hassle to worry about. In addition, be sure to study what is excluded from the plan, what is included obviously is important, but what is excluded can sometimes be surprising. I was pleasantly surprised that our plan even covers the tires and rims for road hazards! It is pro-rated by year and tread depth, but it was an unexpected surprise.
Bingo
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We bought ours from our dealer. The $1500 is far less than the cost of a refrig. , a 40 in flat screen, either of 2 A/Cs etc. Peace of mind is invaluable. Way to go Bingo!!!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"but what is excluded can sometimes be surprising" ....These are called Exclusionary plans and are the best ones. It will list what is excluded (not covered) if it is NOT listed it is covered. Plans that pay on a corporate credit card are prefered.Repair shops and dealers like that.
Pay attention on WHO must contact the plan. Most will indicate the repair facility but they must contact before and repair takes place and it must be approved by the plan and sometimes that may require a agent to look at it.

Remember these are not extended warranties that is marketing hype. They are a cross between a service plan and a insurance policy. Mine clearly states
"service plan" and like any service plan or insurance policy you have to know what is and what is not covered.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
When we bought our new rig this year, we purchased the "aftermarket" warranty that was good for 7 years with a deductible (don't remember the $$) but felt that after the regular warranty was up, we wanted some piece of mind since we plan on keeping this one for at least 7 years or more.

Conversely, we bought a new 2011 Ford Edge in March and I didn't purchase the extended warranty.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have now gotten more back from ours than it cost
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote