Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Black tank won't completely drain

My black tank may be partially filled with solidified matter. Is there anyway to get this to soften up and drain? What chemical or proceedure? I am hoping I don't have to take the tank out.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
While using my black tank flush mine plugged up and would not drain. I filled the tank about 1/4 to 1/2 of water hooked up and drove 10 miles down the road and back, the sloshing back and forth really got things liquified if you know what I mean. Cleaned right out.Every time I dump I try to put 5 to 10 gal of water back in to keep it wet.
good luck
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
People have also added ice cubes to slosh around if you use the drive around mode and help break things up.
Good luck and safe travels.

An alternate is to use a wand with a spray end on it and put it down into the tank from the top to try and break things up.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

People have also added ice cubes to slosh around if you use the drive around mode and help break things up.
Good luck and safe travels.

An alternate is to use a wand with a spray end on it and put it down into the tank from the top to try and break things up.
How did you determine that it wasn't draining? If you are going by the monitor, they are notorious for showing a false reading.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Just a suggestion, never leave black tank valve open as fluids will run out and leave solids to build up. Only open when dumping. Upon closing add some water before usage. At end of travels, dump and add water and chemicals to slosh and clean tank on last leg of trip. The ice is also a good suggestion. Might also help to raise nose of coach at final dump. We also have a sewer connector, clear with water hose connector (available at most camping stores), that we use. Fits between connector and hose. It allows forcing water into tank and flushing repeatedly until clear. Onboard flusher alone is usually not enough. Good Luck , Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I am starting to use Happy Camper and I noticed on their Website they now have a heavy duty tank cleaner. Anyone that uses their products rave about them. Their products are Biodegradable.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Hookman re: Happy Camper and their new heavy duty tank cleaner. Also agree with H. John Kohl - we typically will put a bag of ice (8 pounds equals approximately 1 gallon of water) down the toilet when we pull out in the Spring after having set for 6 months.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Many folks just open the valve and "empty" the tank, then just let the tank wash run a little bit and close the tank valve until the next dump. That will get solids built up in the tank.

After I let the tank empty, I flush at least two full toilet. I turn on the tank wash, close the valve for 3 or 4 minutes, drain the tank and repeat at least 4 or 5 times. I use a clear connection at the discharge nozzle to see when the water is running clear.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I too add about 4 gallons of water plus some treatment so that when travelling there is some water sloshing around.
Then A full rinse similar to Stiles Watson.

When I put the trailer to bed for the summer I put in about 10 gallons of water plus treatment.

If you are trusting the guage then don't. It's worthless and is a waste of time. The only guage that works in ours is the fresh drinking water indicator.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Just a sugestion like the others but it will work and good too. get a bottle od Rid Ex septic tank cleaner not conditioner but cleaner.
fill the tank 1/2 full pour in the hole bottle then add some more water to the top or full mark let it set for a few days then dump it it worked unpluging my fasy flush nozel in the tank for me it should clean you peramid or mound it will also make yur tank squeekey clean.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
The Rid-X does work. Fill tank and add Rid-x, let sit few days then drive around a few miles. drain and flush--helps clean sensors also
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
jjfavret
Established Member

M.O.C. #8918
If your still pluged up, usually it is solids at the exit hole of the black tank. If you use a RV Hydro Flush with valve from camping world ( about 30-40 $, you can open black valve and back flush tank. After a couple of minutes then open the valve on the RV Hydro Flush. This will usually clean out the problem.
jjfavret is offline   Reply With Quote