Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
ibede

M.O.C. #9917
IOTA Converter/Charger

Where on the 2005,3650RK is the converter/charger located, also how can I know if it has the optional IQ smart control? Thanks, ibede

ibede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I don't have your model but on the 3295rk it's located behind the power panel in the bathroom.The power panel has to be removed to access the converter/charger
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ibede

Where on the 2005,3650RK is the converter/charger located, also how can I know if it has the optional IQ smart control? Thanks, ibede
As stated, normally the converter is behind the circuit breakers and fuse panel.

Here is what the IQ Smart Control looks like. Unless you acquired it I will bet you do not have one. I feel they are less than $50.00 and well worth it because I have cooked one battery.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Don't mean to hijack this thread; but, along this same topic if I could ask, is the IOTA converter under the steps going up to the bedroom on a 2008 3400RL? And, is all I have to do is buy this module and plug it in? Again, thanks IBEDE for letting me ask this question.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The smart charger module is a little aluminum coloured box with a short "telephone wire" lead that plugs into a "phone jack" on the top of the converter. And, yes, all you should need to do is buy the module and plug it it. I have had mine for several years and it seems to work well, hardly ever have to add any water, and my batteries seem to be holding up well. I think it is a really good investment to install this option.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
How difficult (dangerous?) is it to remove the power panel to get to the converter?
That's been my barrier to upgrading...

Thanks!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Easy, remove a couple of screws and carefully pull it out. If a bit apprehensive, unhook the battery and unplug the AC power.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Easy, remove a couple of screws and carefully pull it out. If a bit apprehensive, unhook the battery and unplug the AC power.
Correct on how but I would say for safety since the circuit break panel has power leads open to touch on the back side DEFINATELY UNPLUG the MAIN POWER CORD and disconnect the Battery.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
RRMan, (Chas), Not to dispute what people have told you about disconnecting, because they are right!

But... if your '05 3670 is like ours, the vacuum cleaner is right beside the converter, (if you have the central vac.). All you need to do is to unscrew, and pull out the central vac, and the converter should be just to your left. Just fasten the Smart Charger to the back wall with screws, and plug the "telephone lead" into the top of the converter. You don't have get near any live wires. If you don't have the central vac, then you will have to pull the electrical panel, but even then you don't really expose yourself to live wires. Nevertheless, it is better to do it the safe way, and disconnect first.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I don't have the central Vac, just the outlet and hole in the floor of the "coat closet".
Thanks for the encouragement and advice, I'll be on a long term volunteer build in LA early next year and I'll probably pursue the upgrade then and I'll have some buddies for support if it gets 'complicated'.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote