Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
AC On?

Having just gone through water issues where leaving the ac running helped a lot, my question is during the hot humid months does anyone leave the ac on while not in use? Moving forward I am now going to keep it on at 78 deg when not in use at least until we are out of the humid season. Is there any reason or down side other than cost? We are in a seasonal site right now & go almost every week end & its nice to walk into a comfortable coach with no humidity.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
78 is a bit cool, but to each his own. I live in Florida, where the combination of heat and humidity makes it hotter than Satan's arm pits. After discovering a pantry door rail separated from the main door panel I knew the humidity did it. I had been leaving both the bath and kitchen vent opened. Pulled it off and took it into my shop and rebuilt the door. Not a big deal since my Monty is stored next to the shop. So, since that episode, I've closed the vents and set my main A/C on auto at 90 degrees (otherwise the interior temps exceed 115+) and also run my dehumidifier on auto set at 40%. Gone is the interior high humidity and slightly stale air smell. Waiting to see the impact on the electric bill, but I've noticed the A/C only runs about 6 hours a day and roughly the same for the humidifier. IMHO, cheaper than repairing the damage caused by not running them.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Even on the normally frozen tundra of Upstate NY the temps go well in th e90s so we have left our a/c on, set at 88 - 90F. Not cool, but a bunch better then well into the 110-120F range that we were getting without it being on. We leave the kitchen vent open plus a window just cracked a bit
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Even on the normally frozen tundra of Upstate NY the temps go well in th e90s so we have left our a/c on, set at 88 - 90F. Not cool, but a bunch better then well into the 110-120F range that we were getting without it being on. We leave the kitchen vent open plus a window just cracked a bit
we are in the catskills for the season, gets hotter there than in LI, I may raise it a little 78 may be cooler than necessary.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
we are in the catskills for the season, gets hotter there than in LI, I may raise it a little 78 may be cooler than necessary.

If not there, why leave it so, IMHO, creature comfort low? I'm currently sitting in ours, 150+ miles North of the Catskills along Lake Champlain, 90F+ outside, 78F inside and comfortable. At 85-90F you are keeping things from damage plus keeping the inside relatively dry vs ambient humidity which has been very high these last few days
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We live in Arizona, Lake Havasu City but spend the summer on a mountain top 75 or so miles from home. But in the spring and early fall when the rig in at home I keep the AC set to 85 to keep the insides from getting well over 100. I don't have the humidity problems some of you have so it is a bit easer for me. Plus I have a great solar system on the house so my electric bills run $16.00 a month, what they charge to read the meters.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
taboo80

M.O.C. #18709
I'm also seasonal in the Catskill's and leave the A.C. on 78 when not there. I don't want the damage that can occur from the humidity and it helps the fridge stay cool.
taboo80 is offline   Reply With Quote