Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Dumb Question!

I have a dumb question - remember, I'm new so be kind.

Can I plug in the power connector to the truck while I'm on RV Park power? I want to check all the lights on the 5th Wheel.

Thanks
Ann

awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There are no dumb questions here, proven by the fact that I'm not positive.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
I have a dumb question - remember, I'm new so be kind.

Can I plug in the power connector to the truck while I'm on RV Park power? I want to check all the lights on the 5th Wheel.

Thanks
Ann
I'd turn shore power off, connect trailer to truck, start truck, turn lights on and check them. I blew a fuse once by plugging trailer into truck while it was running.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There have been a couple of occasions when we stopped for a quick overnighter at an RV park and never unhooked from the truck, including the cord to the truck. And I plugged in to the park 50 amp service. Without even thinking about it. Guess it was not a problem since nothing ever happened. May depend on the brand and/or model year of truck.

But it would be simple to just turn off the breaker, plug in the truck, check the lights, disconnect from the truck, and turn the breaker back on. No need to unplug the power cord from the pedestal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
<snip>
...Can I plug in the power connector to the truck while I'm on RV Park power? I want to check all the lights on the 5th Wheel.
</snip>
I am assuming by "all the lights" you are referring to the 12V lights associated with towing (Brake, turn signal, running and back up lights). If yes, then plug in to the truck, preferably while the truck is powered off, and do your testing. The 12V towing lights are completely separate from the Montana RV 12V circuits. There is no need to disconnect shore power or even the 12V battery power,

Truth be told, you don't have to plug into the truck to test the 12V running *LIGHTS*. This process will not check the receptacle on the truck (obviously because you are not connected to it), but it will test the lights , along with the wiring. Jumper from pin #4 of your male Bargman plug (the 12V charge line from the battery) to the various pins for the different circuits i.e. Pin #3 = Tail and running lights, Pin #5 = Left turn and Brake, Pin #6 = Right turn and Brake, and the center Pin is the Reverse lights.

Some folks plug a 12V automotive flasher into pins #4 and #3 to cause all the running lights to blink continuously. You will see this at RV shows and Quartzsite (where finding your rig can be difficult after a few hours at the campfire).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
There have been a couple of occasions when we stopped for a quick overnighter at an RV park and never unhooked from the truck, including the cord to the truck. And I plugged in to the park 50 amp service. Without even thinking about it. Guess it was not a problem since nothing ever happened. May depend on the brand and/or model year of truck.

But it would be simple to just turn off the breaker, plug in the truck, check the lights, disconnect from the truck, and turn the breaker back on. No need to unplug the power cord from the pedestal.
Thats a good question. While we travel on vacation, the overnights at KOA's or campgrounds, I've never unplugged from the truck (unless to get level or shop) in 20 years of towing.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I do it all the time. Now if stopping overnite such a Wally-docking without power I will disconnect as I don't want to run the risk of draining the TV batteries, probably wouldn't, but why take a chance.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
<snip>
...I don't want to run the risk of draining the TV batteries, probably wouldn't...
</snip>
A Ford disconnects the circuit from its batteries to the 12V charge line when the ignition is off. Chevy and Dodge keep 12V on the charge line all the time. If you have a low trailer battery and are connected to either a Chevy or Dodge, then there is a chance the TV's batteries will be supplying 12V power to the RV. Too much 12V use may make starting the TV interesting.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote