Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Dodged a bullet...sort of.

Well, my 2008 F-350 began leaking coolant several weeks ago and I was perplexed by this. It's just over three years old but only has 20,800 miles on it. Naturally it occurs right after the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty ran out. However something like this just should not happen. After all how can a radiator wear out at only 20,800 miles. I went to the dealer where the truck was purchased and asked if there was anything Ford could do since the truck has such low miles. I was told that since I didn't buy the extended warranty there wasn't much they could do. He told me "in the old days" Ford would provide dealers with money to 'assist' good customers with situations like this but things are different today. Ford has cut off funds to dealers to cover issues like this. All he could do was check the problem and "IF" it is related to/caused by an engine issue then it would be covered under the engine 5 yr/100,000 warranty. Otherwise I would have to pay the $1200 for a new radiator (parts & labor). I politely bowed out stating I couldn't afford that at Christmas time.

The next day I went to another Ford dealer where I used to deal many years ago. The place has changed hands and I had heard bad things about the new management. But, remaining open minded, I stopped by and spoke with their head service guy. I told him up front that my truck was out of warranty. I explained that the truck is cared for 'by the book' and garage kept. In my opinion there was no excuse for a radiator to fail like this at such low mileage. To my surprise he agreed and stated "I think we can help you on this". I made an appointment to have it checked out. Today they did my truck. They did a diagnostic exam and determined it definitely was the radiator and the job would normally cost $1257 total. However, Ford wanted to participate by covering 2/3 of the repair. My cost would be $450. Now I would have loved to have Ford cover it all but I knew that would not happen. I figured if they went half on it I was doing well. But they covered 2/3 and I covered 1/3 of the cost. All things considered I think they were more than fair with me. They had the truck in the shop for just over three hours. I left there with a new radiator and a complete cooling system flush and fill.....just in time for winter.

So, if someone tells you the manufacturers won't stand by their products, well try another dealer. You have to do the leg work to get ahead. I felt I had a reasonable request for help on this problem and they agreed. The other dealer didn't want to work with me so I found one who would. And guess what, when my wife and I go looking for that new Mustang next year, guess where I'm going?!

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow thats great 2/3s is much better than none.
I had to replace mine at 60K, due to a rupture in the lower tank that sorta peaved me off, is every 24 K I would have Ford flush the system and in between those flushes I would put in the specal anti freeze rejuvinator in as recomended. my tank seperated the plastic bottom tank from the aluminum cooling fins which I concider a poorly made radeator, but I did it my self and saved a lot of money at a local radeator shop. but like you say it paid for you to shop around.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
thats great the other dealer helped you out.you should go to the dealer that would not help and tell them about the dealer that would .and then drive by the dealer with the new car and say sorry your lose.great to hear that sometimes it is not ford but the dealer that does not what to help!!!!
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford has a problem with these radiators, its called hyper extended thermostat. Your dealer NEEDS to check for this!!!! If this is your problem Ford will cover it under warranty. If this is the problem it WILL not may but will happen again.
Lynwood

After reading your post again I thought it might be helpful to add to what I said. You have an 08 truck this is usually a problem with the 08 models. It can happen to other models. There is a very good Chance this is your root problem. I have herd of people loosing 3 or 4 radiators before the problem was found. Also there is a recall on the degas bottle, be sure it has been corrected.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
So far our radiator is good, but the heater core give up last summer. The truck had 17,000 mi and was still under warranty. That was the first time I had to replace a heater core in a truck and I was quite surprised that it gave up so soon.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As mlh wrote, you really needed to find one more Ford dealer who knows about the thermostat problems. My dealer discovered the radiator had a small leak while doing the 50K maintenance. They replaced it under the original engine warranty. No charge to me. It sounds like you have a Job 1 truck. They are notorious for radiator problems!

There was a posting from around July where there was lots of discussion concerning the 08-10 Ford radiator problems and why Ford was covering them under the 5 year/100K mile engine warranty. Unfortunately the Search function is broken and I can't find the topic.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I recall reading something about Job 1 radiator problems. In fact, I was talking with one of the diesel tech at the Ford dealer who fixed my truck before hand. I stated I thought I had a rad leak. He looked at me and said, "yea, drivers side, lower corner." And guess what, that's exactly where it was. He knew without even looking at it. A week later I took it in for the repair. During all this there was lots of conversation and reading. The thermostat issue also came up in conversation but getting them to say "oh it's all our fault, it's covered" isn't that easy. The purchasing dealer is 22 miles away. The dealer who fixed it is 4 miles. I had a problem with the fixing dealer four years ago and didn't go back. But, they have new personnel there now (one of whom I know from years ago, and truct him). I now feel better about going locally. I have now established a new relationship with them. They did me a favor and I appreciate it. I will send a letter to the owner expressing my appreciation and will go back for other service. But this is a love/hate relationship. One day we'll be buddies, the next who knows. I will stay close to the issue and IF I have more problems I will approach them loaded with all the info I can muster.

By the way everyone.............................MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote