Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kelly,

That is correct.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyjones View Post
Ok so would I have to get under the RV to look on the backside?
Yes you will. My 2014 HC did not have a stamp on the back. I was told by Keystone they were 110PSI but I don’t believe them. I had 80 PSI tires. I switched to the Saliun and run them at 80 PSI. These are heavy tires and probably over kill for my RV. But I am scared to death of a blow out. Side note. I had less than 10K on the other tires and they found a bulge on the inside of the tire I never saw.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If hercules has anything to do with cooper, forget it. My local cooper dealer doesn't even recommend cooper tires, and for good reason. If tires are regularly compared to goodyears, there is a reason for that.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 AM   #24
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
If hercules has anything to do with cooper, forget it. My local cooper dealer doesn't even recommend cooper tires, and for good reason. If tires are regularly compared to goodyears, there is a reason for that.
Maybe his profit margin is less on the Coopers. Although not exclusively, I have run Cooper tires for many years on pickups with ZERO problems.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #25
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Ok so what about that stamp on the side of the Montana just under my Lippert level up system that "Tire and Loading Information"? It tells you the tire size and cold pressure which says "ST235/80R16E" and 80 PSI! Does that mean that 80 PSI should be all I run on the Montana? Still have not located that PSI stamp on the dang wheel! It also says the weight of the cargo should never exceed 3330 lbs. This is so confusing. I normally just pull up the the tire dealer in my SUV and ask for tires and they put them on. This is ridiculous.
Kellyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #26
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Ok so what about that stamp on the side of the Montana just under my Lippert level up system that "Tire and Loading Information"? It tells you the tire size and cold pressure which says "ST235/80R16E" and 80 PSI! Does that mean that 80 PSI should be all I run on the Montana? Still have not located that PSI stamp on the dang wheel! It also says the weight of the cargo should never exceed 3330 lbs. This is so confusing. I normally just pull up the the tire dealer in my SUV and ask for tires and they put them on. This is ridiculous.
The label you refer to applies to the FACTORY installed tires on your specific unit and does not apply to any tire upgrades you may do. Our 2012 3585SA had 110 psi wheels.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

You need to verify the the psi rating on the back side of the wheels, one of your four should be rotated to where you should be able to see it, take a flash light, and get under there ,and take a look .

The 3330 is given so you don't exceed your GVWR ( Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) You have a dry weight plus this 3330, which is your GVWR, which I would guess around 16,000 LBS. So your actual trailer weight is around 12,500 before its loaded.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #28
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
You have to divorce yourself from anything you've previously known about tires. Nothing about P-metric or even Light Truck E-rated tires for SUVs applies here.

The example ST E-rated tire from the placard carries a max psi rating of only 80, as are all E-rated tires. Put more than 80psi in and you'll blow them up or exceed the wheel rating, and yes, wheels can crack. What does that mean with respect to the placard, provided by RV mfgr.? All it means is the RV mfgr. reviewed the tire mfgrs. specs for that tire and has determined it can carry the load it has computed on the axles, plus your stuff at 3,330lbs. They can say they did their due diligence, and any failure is then on the tire mfgr.

The problem with ST tires, until very recently, has been cheap Chinese knockoffs that are not tested to US standards since they're not intended for passenger use. The result has been a significant number of failures with damage to RVs, busted vacations and increased driver stress.

Let's take a 14,000 FW as an example. With an avg. 20% on the pin, you're left with 11,200 on the axles (14,000-2,800). Dividing that 11,200 by 4, each tire can carry 2,800lbs. We're still within avg. E-rated tire specs (3,500-3,700lbs), but let's throw in the 3,330lbs of your stuff, 833lbs each, so each tire is now carrying 3,633lbs. Oops.

Until very recently, KS and other FW mfgrs. have installed the most minimally rated tire, which I'm sure is related to their bottom line.
Coupled with a poor tire, it's a recipe for disaster.

So, what to do? If you have a heavy FW, it certainly can't hurt to upgrade to a good, ST G-rated tire, and 110psi wheels. It may be, at your weight, you don't have to use max psi (using the tire mfgr. load table). The Sailun has proven, at least anecdotally, to be a winner. The GY Endurance is getting good reviews, too. There are a handful of other ST tires being talked about positively (Hercules, Cooper, etc.), but their track record is not proven, IMHO. Hope this helps.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote