Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A Quartzite Question

I’d like to ask a question in reference to “Quartzsite” mostly for some friends, but also because I’ve become somewhat interested in the answers also. I’ve no intention to belittle anyone’s personal adventures / lifestyle on the MOC, but here it is straight out.
A couple of weeks ago some of our friends asked my better half (a rockhound at heart) to fly out to Quartzsite to meet then share a first time experience. These folks are retired seasoned RVers that don’t require full hookups by any means, but aren’t much on all out boondocking as they don’t own a generator. They decided upon Casa Del Sol RV park as home base for the experience. After 5 days, she flew back to Kansas to regale her adventure. Aside from seeing scads of rocks and minerals, they experienced a mostly naked guy running a shop in town, layers of dust on virtually everything, wind blown sand etching the truck and fiver, scores of hawkers lazily displaying decidedly common wares, wall to wall people under the “big tent” at the RV show, and as Milt put it, seemingly just a bunch of old hippies in dreadlocks scattered about here and there. Our friends checked off an item on their “bucket list” and see no reason to return.
What did they miss that others wait all year to return to? Is it just the comradery and available setting to rejoin old friends? Go ahead … let me have it

Old 01-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
You summed it up very well, except: Some of the most fantastic sunrises/sunsets I have ever seen. Golf was fantastic. We had wind, rain and some very pleasant days. Learning to boondock for an extended period of time with a bunch of folks helping every step of the way. 130 plus Moc'ers having a great time, happy hour, campfires morning and night (with the master story tellers), pot luck....ladies beading & other crafts.. making new friends, being with old friends...We did one trip to the 'tent' and the vendors (it was enough)...It was our 1st trip to the "Q". We can't wait to go back! After trying to explain in to our daughter she described it well: "Grown up Summer Camp"

As many times as it was explained to me, the only way to understand what it's all about is to experience it.
Ken & Marilyn
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
They went to see Quartzsite and pretty much saw it. What they didn't get to see was the GREAT GROUP at the MOC Circle. Meeting new friends with common interest. The 5'oclock happy hour, drink water if you wish, but meet and visit and snack on the goodies. The campfire afterwards, the sunsets. More visiting,sharing what mods that you did to your 5th wheel in the past year,maybe help another with a problem.
I'm content to go to the big RV tent maybe once, or go to the swap meet section once.
There's always several of us there with water blatters to bring in fresh water,and a septic pumper to empty the tanks is there with a phone call. They saw the Town of Quartzsite, but didn't get to experience the freindship. Come join the Circle next year. Bill
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The mostly naked guy is known as Leather Butt, owner of a local Quartzite book store and also a concert pianist. Wears nothing but a knitted g-string. Lots of ladies read in Quartzsite.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I didn't see 'Leather Butt'....but all I can say is thank God I have a Kindle!!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Marilyn, You had better bring extra batteries for your Kindle next year or the the MOC ladies will be taking you into town.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Our camping site is not where the odd ones are. One does not have to join them. I would never stay at a CG in town. Have been back to Q when the show is over out in the desert by ourselves and it was great.

Dick
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Part of the "interest" in "Q" is the out right oddness of it all!

We did stay in a campground in town for 2 nights AFTER 2 weeks on the desert in the MOC circle area. We had NO issues, got full hookups and boy did we clean stuff up, long hot showers, lots of laundry, lots of black tank cleaning.

The tent, if you don't get there early, very crowded, not sure we would do again, cause, mmmm, this ole gal does not do mornings very well. I avoid much in the AM, that is time for sleeping, a slow cup of coffee and surfing.

There are lots of interesting shops, set up in tents, RV stuff, t-shirts, rock stuff. Some flea market stuff. You don't have to go into town, but, snicker, why resist?? I found some great stuff to photograph and smile about.

Variety is the spice of life, but if you don't care for the "different" stuff, you can still go to "Q" and shop in Parker.

Waiting for an announcement on the dates for next years circling of the Montanas, and God willing and the creek don't rise, we hope to be there! Just waiting for the date so we can plan the rest of our 12-13 winter tour.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We spent 3 nights/days with the MOC group a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't see any of the strange sights when we ventured into town. I guess we missed out on that.

This past Spring when we needed an overnight site we found the gps coordinates posted here for where the moc group had the circle and we overnighted at that same spot. No generator here but none was needed for the one night. We thoroughly enjoyed both our times there and hope to make it back one of these days.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks for the responses ... I kinda figured since they went out there "Lone Wolf Style" it limited the adventure.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'll hope you'll give it another shot, maybe when the MOC group is there. It's a terrific experience.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
Stayed just outside "the circle" for one night before having to go to Phoenix for some work. The Q piqued our interest and we will be back for more of the Q and more of the Montana circle.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
For us, it is the MOC friends, who are now family. It a " Reunion" experience with a bit of the "quirkery" available if you so desire. Otherwise, relaxing & visiting is the order of the day!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Myna, that's a great way to put it. It's a family reunion with opportunity to meet new family members, or at least new to us.
Closed Thread