Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
campfire ettique

We have a great family next to us. They are part of a family that have 3 rigs in a row and lots of kids. I am enjoying watching all these families have fun this last weekend of the summer. BUT...they have their campfire going from early in the morning until late at night and the wind blows it right over here. Sitting outside is at times a chore because the smoke burns my eyes and inside smells like ...well a campfire. I am just venting. They are really nice people and I will suck it up for the next 2 days but I am really unhappy about it.

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joanie and Dave,
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. It sounds like your enjoyment of the families is greater than the annoyance of the fire. Hopefully the wind will blow a difference direction for the next couple of days.

Enjoy!
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are two choices, grin and bear it or speak to them about it. If they are reasonable people and it is possible they can move it, they may be willing to accomodate you.
I always try to position my fire pit where it is not likely to blow on my neighbors. If that is not possible, I keep my fires to a minimum.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We share your feelings. We also do not like "camfars." We are both allergic to the smoke and stuff up like a spiked watermelon. We just close up and turn the AC on high. So far that has worked. It's not the person's fault that we are allergic, nor is it their fault that the wind is blowing in our directions. We have just learned to gripe at each other about it and live with it.

Maybe venting my sewer hose in their direction would serve some purpose - NOT.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Shame on you Wayne!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Don't mind the fires, just have a problem with the "smoke" pits. Seems many people have a hard time starting a fire...instead, you get a steady stream of smoke...often all day and night long. And then, there are those who think their fire pits are good places to get rid of their unneeded plastic products....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
the problem here is that they let the big logs smolder for hours. I have asthma so the constant smoke from the smoldering log really plays havoc with my windpipe!! Nice people though and the wind has shifted a little. This is the last hurrah for most of these people. I live in Florida so I have 12 months of the year to enjoy the great outdoors!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I can sympathize with your situation. You certainly are a considerate and understanding person. There's not much you can do about it other than move your rig and get away from it.
We camped recently at a place where we had it worse ... the guy that we were parked downwind from was running a meat smoker day and night. It was so bad that we couldn't sit outside and enjoy our campsite. We moved and left the campsite but not before letting the management know what was going on and why we were leaving.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ok you asked about campfire ettique. Well here are the rules. It is 103 degrees in the shade so you pile up wood preferbly green about 6 feet high then pile branches of green leaves on top - pour 5 gal of gasoline on and light off. Now the flames will only shoot tree top high for 20 minutes or so but the ambient temperature within 50 yards in any direction will rise to 110 degrees, but then the fire will die down and the white smoke will begin so you cannot see the person sitting next to you only 3 feet away. Ahhh but that's camping don't forget to come over and join us but bring your own weenies on a 10 foot pole because that's as close as you can get to the fire. Bring lots of drinks especially the adult beverage kind so by 11:00 or 12:00 at night you have to shout at the person you can't see sitting 3 feet from you through all the smoke.

I think I may have stepped on somebodys toes here and I apologize its just that we cannot sit outside our camper either with all the smoke so we entertain ourselves shut up in our camper with the a/c going hope that the heat from the bonfire I mean campfire doesn't melt our fibreglass side.

Now there are a few boyscouts type that can build a small campfire to cook by and enjoy sitting around without creating a lot of smoke. I guess they use the smokeless wood.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Seems that the older we get the grumpier we get. Long, Long ago we were much like that family in the first post as were the friends we camped with. Kids, campfires, noise, laughing, up as late as midnight, maybe a beverage or two. Now we can't stand the smoke, noisy kids...any kids... Folks now nod off around the campfire instead of having a good time..late is 9:30PM. Beverage..ye gads.. My doctor says no. no. Why once a year our group roasted a pig over the campfire and we had this big cast iron pot that we would make chili in.. and kolbosky on a stick..It would kill me now...hot dogs'''Posion... What have we become..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
My My Rich sometimes the truth hurts, getting old is not much fun.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! I do remember "campfar" coffee.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A little smoke on a weekend is a small price to pay for a great life style. If you go to a familiar campground you can avoid the smoke by choosing a campsite with no neighbors that are up wind.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Well Rich, I was a scout since I was VERY young and knew then how to build a (almost) smokeless campfire. I still know how and when I do light a campfire it isn't the kind that irritates my neighbors senses. Yes you're right about what we once were ... more tolerant of the annoyances. I guess we were just more focused on other things. Thanks for reminding me.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

There are two choices, grin and bear it or speak to them about it. If they are reasonable people and it is possible they can move it, they may be willing to accomodate you.
I always try to position my fire pit where it is not likely to blow on my neighbors. If that is not possible, I keep my fires to a minimum.
Choice #3 is move sites.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Or choice #3 could be to find a nice secluded, peaceful, quiet, boondocking site where you wouldn't have to put up with anyone's foolishness!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie and Alice,
Have I told you how much I enjoy your photos!? Since I cannot get out and about to places like you can I get to pretend I've hiked into some of those places. Thank you for sharing.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Robbie and Alice,
Have I told you how much I enjoy your photos!? Since I cannot get out and about to places like you can I get to pretend I've hiked into some of those places. Thank you for sharing.
Dennis
Dennis
I think you have told us that a couple of times...with that type of review, I should maybe get the camera out again...

Thank you for the compliment, will see if I can get some more out there. Wish there was an easier way to publish on the MOC, similar to the way it is done on FB.....

.....and to stay on subject.... I have a picture or two with smoke in my eye.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are now at the MOC fall rally and we always have huge roaring campfires. We are looking forward to smelling like smoke, red and runny eyes and plenty of beverages there will be laughing and singing and telling of jokes and stories. For just a while we will be young again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are now at the MOC fall rally and we always have huge roaring campfires. We are looking forward to smelling like smoke, red and runny eyes and plenty of beverages there will be laughing and singing and telling of jokes and stories. For just a while we will be young again.
Sounds like more of the right idea what campfires are all about....that smoldering stuff is a nuisance and a waste.