Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
redangel

M.O.C. #7017
Parts question

Hi all, I've been a member here for some time but have not been around here in a long time. I have two questions and both deal with replacement parts, i.e., a source to obtain those parts.

The first questions deals with my slideout. My Montana is a 2002 33 ft. double slide.

In the slideout wiring system there are two little bitty "boxes" which control the slideout. They look like relays, but I'm not sure what they would be called. I've looked at schematics, but have had no luck finding a name for these parts. Same results looking through RV catalogs. You can pop the relay out of the little metal boxes and what happened with one of mine is that it popped out on it's own and refuses to stay in. What we have to do now is hold it in place to get the slideout motor to engage. There is a contact plate that has - through time - worn out and broken. I can still get the unit to function as long as I hold that "relay" unit against the metal casing that is mounted to the wall in the front storage area. What is this part called and where may I obtain a couple of them?

The second question deals with the two circular vent covers that are located by each main fan vent on the 5th wheel. Time disintegrated one of those covers and when it rains hard, I get a leak through the light that is in the bedroom, specifically the light over the bed. My temporary solution is to lay a bowl over the cover when it rains, but obviously this is not going to work long term. I know these parts can't be expensive, but I am surprised at how little success I've had trying to find the replacement parts at RV sites or in catalogs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

redangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
camping world sells replacement covers, is it a Fantastic fan? or just a manual cover with that little 12 volt fan inside it? Call them and they should be able to help. But you will need to tell them what style you have.
It sounds to me like they are large double blade fuses that you are talking about. Take a picture of it and bring it to an rv dealer, they should help.

On edit, They are right. I mis read your thread. I thought you were talking about your vent covers. sorry
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Seems to me the vents might be the attic vents. Try this thread. Down several posts in the thread there is a part number given for the attic vent covers.

Back to the slide out issue. Where are the "little bitty boxes" located?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think SlickWillie is right on about the attic vents. Some call them mushroom vents and they vent the air from between the ceiling and the roof. Sounds like the electrical component you are talking about might be the auto reset breakers. This site will give you a visual: http://www.optifuse.com/cirbreakType1.htm If that is what you are talking about you can find them at most auto parts stores. Jim
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Regarding the vent covers, if you mean the RV tank vent covers, here's a link to start with:

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...93&pageNum=194

I'll try and add other cover possibilities as I find them. For example this catalog page contains links to many other vent covers found on an RV roof, such as refrigerator and air vents. Check the Ventline or other vent vendor listings:

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...&dealerId=2593

I hope you can find what you are looking for. I should mention, this web site is just one example of vendor for vent covers. There are probably others closer to your location from which to order from.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had to replace two of the little round tank vent covers after knocking them off with low tree branches. I bought "universal" covers and they snapped into place just fine. They've been there well over a year with no problem.

As for the slide relays, I'm at a total loss as to what you are referring to. I'm sure it's me and not your description. Any chance you could post a picture or link to a picture if nobody else figures it out first?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
redangel

M.O.C. #7017
Thanks for the responses. Some of the URL's linked were dead links. I will try to post pictures later today.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

on edit: I believe that the Optifuse vertical mount auto reset breaker is what I am looking for.

The link provided goes to a dead site, so I just googled Optifuse and found what I was looking for.

Will call Keystone and find out where I can get the mushroom vents.
redangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
The attic (mushroom) vents are available at Montana Dealers and maybe Everest.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

I just found the part number in my files, should be p/n 102776. Parts guy didn't know what I was asking for until we went outside to a new Everest and I pointed them out. He took both off the Everest and sold them to me and ordered new ones for his stock unit. That's customer service, and why I get most of my parts/supplies from them. If that's the ones you're talking about, they screw on. Give 'em a counterclockwise twist and it should spin right off. There's a bolt right in the middle.

As DL N K said, the part number Keystone gave me is 102776. The "official" name is Roof Attic Mushroom Cap.